SCT for towing?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT for towing??

The wife and I (and the dog, of course) took out our new toy hauler for it's maiden voyage, so to speak, this weekend. Truck is a stock 2006 F250 XLT FX4 4x4 CC standard bed. Trailer is a fifth wheel with a GVWR of around 14,500 lbs.

I would like to get more power out of the truck because going up and down grades in the mountains (I live in New Mexico) is a bit tedious - not to mention you get passed by almost every 18 wheeler out there! I would also like to help out the fuel mileage a bit; I got less than 10 mpg this weekend.

I've heard people here talk about the SCT tuners and would like to explore that as a possibility. I only tow about 6-10 times a year, so I would like to have something I can use to dial up the power when needed and then when I'm not towing to return it to a more economical mode. This is my first diesel truck (I've owned all gassers in the past) and it was bought with the intent of using it as an occasional tow vehicle.

Is this possible with these tuners? Do I HAVE to do any modifications to the truck in order to run the tuner? Replacement air cleaner, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you can run the tuner by itself on the tow tune w/o any problem, however i would suggest some sort of airflow mods, even for the little bit that you tow. even if it was a cat back exhaust and a drop in replacement filter, it would be better than nothing. while in the mountains i can see your egts getting pretty hot now, it's only going to get worse w/ the chip. feel free to give us a call if you need any help picking some stuff out.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
ther are some great programs for the SCT for towing. its not a flip chip but only takes a few minutesto swap tunes. look into it, some of our vendors sell the blank SCT tuner and then you will get free unlimited tuning with the purchase of the tuner. who writes the tunes depends on who you buy it from. DJ's has good tunes, so does innovative.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Serving Our Country!

Who should I take it to for the cat back or is it pretty much straightforward to do myself?

This truck was bought used and I've yet to crawl around under it to see what all has been done to it.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
i would save youself some cashola and do it yourself. the hardest part of the whole exhaust is the downpipe. i would recommend a full kit if you are gonna run a custom tuner, a whole day to remove and reinstall the new kit and you will be good to go.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

How would one tell if the exhaust has been modded/not modded? What exactly would I be looking for? Is there a good manual to purchase (Chiltons, Haynes, etc.) to tell what is and what isn't supposed to be there relative to how it came from the factory?

I've worked on all my vehicles but diesels are kinda new to me so any help in this area I can get would be appreciated...
Old 07-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

can you get a pic of the exhaust?? ill tel ya if it is stock or not. it should be around 3 to 3.5 inches if it is stock.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Serving Our Country!

At work right now so I'll have to take a few when I get home this evening. I noticed the tailpipe is different looking and in a different location than other F250s I've seen, but maybe not. Is it common for someone to do intake/exhaust mods to a vehicle to run with a device like an SCT and then remove just the device to return it to a stock tuning - like say when they trade it in on a newer/different vehicle?

Truck got 9.88 mpg in the mountains but usually get close to 15 in the city. Haven't taken it out on the highway yet just by itself.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabit9 View Post
At work right now so I'll have to take a few when I get home this evening. I noticed the tailpipe is different looking and in a different location than other F250s I've seen, but maybe not. Is it common for someone to do intake/exhaust mods to a vehicle to run with a device like an SCT and then remove just the device to return it to a stock tuning - like say when they trade it in on a newer/different vehicle?

Truck got 9.88 mpg in the mountains but usually get close to 15 in the city. Haven't taken it out on the highway yet just by itself.
15 is normal city mileage if you are stock. My 07 does the same and up to 22.5 highway. Got 17 last trip towing abot 7,000. Had my tracter hauler loaded with steel shelving and empty 55 gallow drums with about 700 pounds of bee stuff in the truck bed. Have yet to get less than 12 no matter what i tow. If you install a tuner you may void your factory warranty if you still have some of the five year 100,000 mile warranty left that is.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

Rob -

I looked at the exhaust and it looks stock from the downpipe to the tailpipe including the cat and the muffler. Opened the hood and saw a silver pipe running from the turbo to the right side of the front end - must be the intercooler tube?? Also took a peek at what type of filter element is in the air box and it looked factory blue so I am thinking the truck is entirely stock.

I am planning a trip at the end of this month to go out to Michigan with our fifth wheel and would like to get more power in the higher gears so that the tranny isn't jumping down to 4th or 3rd gear going up hills. Are there any quick mods I can do between now and then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.