The BACKYARDIGAN Build Thread - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 09:52 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The BACKYARDIGAN Build Thread

So after owning my truck since it was new in 2006 with only 4 miles on it, I have been searching for a name for it for quite some time. About a month or two ago, while on another forum and engaging in a sort of heated discussion/debate, the term "backyardigan" was thrown out there; and much like other endearing terms (i.e. nutswinger) this one had a distinctive ring to it that (well let's just say) grabbed me. I figured it was fitting because while I don't necessarily work out of my back yard, I have pretty much done ALL the work on my truck either in my garage, drive way, and even the parking lot of the apartments that I use to live at. NOW, even though, I've done like 99% of the wrenching, welding, fabricating, etc. myself at my house; I have not gained the knowledge and understanding of this platform on my own. I've had the privilege of linking up with A LOT of smart people over the last couple of years and have gleaned A TON of insight as well as been able to connect the dots that I had identified in my reading and research of performance of these motors to be able to come with a build that should do quite a few things well.

This thread is not necessarily about me buying a bunch of bolt on parts to have a truck that performs a certain way, but is rather going to be more about me building/modifying/tweaking the bolt on parts that I buy to meet my particular needs for this build (since pretty much all of the bolt-on parts one can buy have something that I didn't like about them). The motor on this truck currently has 100,006 miles on it and seems to be going strong. It has had HGs done twice by me (neither time did I have a failure of the HGs as far as I could tell), it has seen about 10 different VGT turbo options, two different intake manifold options, has had injectors pulled and re-installed about 5 times, two HPOPs, a custom built oil cooling system, and three different gauge configuration setups on it. It is currently under the knife for a transmission rebuild that I am doing myself and this winter will receive a "large" non-VGT turbo setup with (let's just say) bigger injectors, more oil, and a custom designed & built intake system (oh and a 5th revision to the oil cooling setup). When I am done, I will definitely be able to say that there isn’t any other 6.0 out there that is like it.

The goal for this truck is to be a 600-650hp street truck that I can tune to tow 10k lbs with if I should want to (I haven't towed a load now with this truck in almost 3 years) and should I want to be able to make 700+hp on fuel (and who knows what on NO2) on the dyno/track. When the setup is all said and done, it will even be tuned by me. Should the motor take an untimely demise, I'm not sure what I'll do at that point. I will probably scrap it all and try a 6.7 Powerstroke powertrain swap if I can find a wrecked truck for cheap.

Not to leave the chassis undone, I will be making traction bars, installing a 2.5in ICON leveling kit (the one that has replacement springs) with 3 link replacement control arms up front, installing new wheels and tires, and doing a brake job. I will probably even swap out to 4.30 gears since I will be ending up with about 34.5in tall tires.

The build will consist of the following sections: Transmission build, motor build, chassis build/reconditioning, and body restoration. I expect this build to take about 6-9 months to complete as far as everything is concerned aside from the body stuff and I will do my best to load this thing up with TONS of pictures along the way.

Here’s a pic of how the engine sits right now.

Like I said, there are A LOT more pics to come. Also, the shroud emblem was a prototype for a decal artist. I wish there was a Windrunner Diesel Performance, but that is a ways off for now.
Bloodstain likes this.

Last edited by windrunner408; 10-16-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You should get that fella that likes pink to make you a spacer for your filter base in lue of the three nuts lol.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:22 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

TRANSMISSION BUILD

TRANSMISSION BUILD

I’m going to start with the transmission section of this build since I already have it out and every other build thread out there starts with the motor.

So the BACKYARDIGAN transmission. Hmm, where to begin. Well I can tell you that so far out of everything that I’ve tackled on this truck so far, the one thing that the average DIYer should just no kidding have a professional do for them is the transmission. I can tell you that in order to build a 5R110(W) the way a reputable transmission builder would build one, it involves A LOT of special tools. So far, things don’t seem to be that “hard” per say to do; they just seem to require a special tool to make sure that when you do it, it is done right the first time. I am pretty sure that when it is all said and done, I will have about $500 more plus countless blood, sweat, tears, and head ache into doing this myself, than if I would’ve just pulled the transmission out and sent it off to a reputable builder and had them build it for me. Of course where would the fun in that be HUH??? I know I know, if I would’ve done that, I would actually be able to drive my truck instead of having it sit on ramps in the drive way and stress over this build.

I pretty much have one person to thank for pushing me to do this and that is Matt (aka: Shack, aka: Onebadcoastie). He solely is responsible for why I haven’t boxed everything up and driven it to Andy Warren for building.
In case you guys don’t know, he lives up in BFE Kodiak, AK and there aren’t any reputable transmission shops that he trusts and shipping trannies back and forth from him to Andy would kill him in shipping costs. So he is stuck doing this himself and I figured if he is stuck doing this then I have to be able to just stick with it and figure it out as well.

The tranny will consist of a PI TC, RCD billet input shaft, billet low/reverse hub, complete install kit from Andy Warren, and a new internal wiring harness. I’m also going to be putting on a Derale Deep pan, using Amsoil ATF, and using a 2008-2010 5R110W pan filter.

Currently, I have the transmission out of the truck and completely tore down and cleaned and am waiting on the special tools I ordered to come in so I can begin rebuilding the components inside. I do have the valve body completely rebuilt though.

Here are some pictures of the process:
I actually used two jacks to pull it down with the T-case as it was just too awkward to try removing it by itself.

There wasn’t enough room between the ground and bottom of the frame rails to allow me to pull the transmission out from under the truck with it on the jack(s) so I just slid it off onto the carpet and slid it out from under the truck. Carpet worked great for that.

Even got my helper helping me too.

Got the T-case removed, pulled the TC out, and that made it so the tranny could be lifted off of a jack by hand and put on the work bench.

Here’s what it looks like with the TC removed.

Here we are with the valve body removed.

Here is the case with nothing in it. not much to see but figured I’d show it anyways. I’ll show the actual individual components as I rebuild it. On EDIT: noticed that in this pic, the low reverse molded piston, spring, and snap-ring were left in there. They are out now.

So far, here is the first component that I have fully rebuilt and ready to go back into the transmission.

The progress is slow because I’m definitely learning as I go. However, I’ve got a TON of help that I can reach out to as questions/problems present themselves. I’ll update this as I go along.

Last edited by windrunner408; 10-16-2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Updated Pic
Old 10-16-2013, 10:26 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcity_gt View Post
You should get that fella that likes pink to make you a spacer for your filter base in lue of the three nuts lol.
Yep it's temporary. I'm going to be relocating the filter anyways. It won't even be on the alternator anymore, when I'm done. It does look a little (how do you say it??) "backyardigan".
Old 10-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Nicely done bud. Count me in.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:58 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey Nate, found your build thread....SUBSCRIBED!...sorry didn't mean to yell. What a beautiful little helper you have! you are truly blessed my friend.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:04 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Thanks Jon. Yes I sure am.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Motor Head.

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good deal.I know you will do and awesome job,plus you have a great lil helper.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Making ported intakes

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks like your gonna have your hands full, but at the end it's gonna be a badazz backyardigan truck lol
Old 10-16-2013, 12:32 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Oh yea, it'll be a project. Planning to have the majority of everything done in time for Purdue in the spring. Once I get the transmission done, the foundation should be there. It'll just be A LOT of fabbing....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.