aftermarket torque converter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
aftermarket torque converter

I searched and couldn't really find much. But wanna do a converter next year. Looking to do a PI converter. What I'd like to know is....what kind of improvements will a heavy duty aftermarket converter make? For those that have done one and nothing else at the same time of install....what did you notice after install when driving? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My PI is in its box in the living so I have no data for you. I can tell you it is physically larger than the stock converter by about an 1".
Old 10-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
While I haven't installed one on my truck as of yet you should see faster firmer lockup as well as the durability to handle higher hp and torque. With a better lock up the converter is more effectively able to multiply torque coming through the engine to the trans thus allowing you to better put the power to the ground. Also less slipping lol.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've read with good converters, really efficient ones, you get that lock up feeling even when not locked. I have a PATC triple disc sitting in my kitchen waiting the trans to get back from Andy warren. If I were smarter, I would have planned better and probably went with a PI from either Brian at BTS, 1600 rpm stall instead of stock-ish 1800-2000, or a PI from Andy. I haven't used my PATC yet, I certainly don't have any complaints yet...i just know the PI stallion is very proven. Mitch is running a PATC converter, said he's very happy with it...he went in on it with me. They're normally 900, but if you buy 2 then they're 700 each. I ordered mine and mitch's right from PATC, but I think Gary shuck is a dealer for them. I say better planning because I had a used transmission I was going to swap in with a new converter to buy me time to build mine that came out, so pressed for cash I went with the best billet converter for the money I could find. I would have maybe liked to have spent a couple hundred more on the PI...but again, i havent run my patc yet. Ill let you know hopefully next week how it does.

The whole idea behind billet is that it will distort less under load, when it distorts it leads to uneven clutch clamping load which smokes the converter. Also...you could swap to a 6.4 flex plate and run a 8 lug/stud converter instead of a 6 stud like the 6.0 has. They make billet flex plates...but they're like 700 bucks.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:21 PM

Definitely let me know what you notice after the install. Eric at ID said it'll knock a few tenths off in the 1/4. But I'm not so much interested what it'll do for the 1/4....more interested what it'll do and what improvement there'll be daily driving than the stocker
Old 10-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm gonna throw this out there and I've already briefed Chris about this:

Buying a PI converter from anyone other than PI is just silly in my opinion. PI offers great deals and if you ever have a warranty related issue, the vendor you purchase it from is going to make you deal with PI. They're not going to deal with it. One of my 6.4 buddies just went through that with RCD. He bought a RCD converter (a PI converter with RCD's name/color). He had issues and RCD made it go straight to PI. Absolutely no reason for a middle man, at least not in this case, especially when PI offers decent pricing.

Now, lets talk about billet flex plates. Flex plates are designed by nature, to flex. Yup, that's right, they flex. Think about how the flex plate/converter/crankshaft all work. Something has to be the soft spot or "weak link" or you're going to break stuff and in this case you could break all three of those items I listed. The idea behind having billet components is to prevent them from breaking. Well, if it boils down to the converter/pump, flex plate or crankshaft, I can tell you which one I'd like to replace. The concept of the billet flex plate is a good one but in reality, it's not the best idea. It has to flex under high torque loads/demands or something else is going to give.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
WELL SAID.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:23 AM

I knew all about PI's warranty and how it works years ago when I talked to them about a converter for my truck. However I won't be dealing with them directly...I'll be dealing with Warren as they will be the ones installing it. If there is an issue or the stall needs to get changed...I have no problem calling PI about it...that's not a big deal. But if there is an issue....the truck is going back to warren to get fixed anyways.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Talking about the converters, and where you buy them from...some places like Brian at bts (and lots of others...probably andy and rcd have their specs too, i didnt talk with andy much about torque converters because i already had a brand new one) have their specs they have them built to...unless you knew what specs to tell them there wouldn't really be a way to get their converter with those specs...stall speed, ect. Plus some places offer different warranties depending on whether or not you buy everything from them. Twisted diesel told me if I ran my converter it wouldn't be the same warranty as if I had bought the whole package from them. It means having a middle man, but sometimes its worth it...all depends on who you deal with. Just other things to consider, advantages/disadvantages both ways in going directly to the source or not.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
can you swap a 6.4 flexplate stock for stock into a 6.0? what about the stock 6.4 torque convertor in a 6.0? any input?

I am going to look for a 09-10 6.4 trans for my truck but I don't know how exactly everything would fit up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.