HELP 7.3 man. Need's help with a 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP 7.3 man. Need's help with a 6.0

Ok my buddy wont's better MPG for his 6.0 and he turned to me.. because i got pretty good MPG out of my 7.3. Well Were im getting at is WHAT can Yall suggest to help his 11.2 mpg ..i could help if it was a 7.3...

His truck is a 05 Extended cab Short box 285/75/17 (tire size) and 44,000 miles????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 08:30 PM
one day at a time

I'm not sure why he's getting such terrible mileage out of his 6.0. I could get 15-16 stock driving normally. First and obvious thing is to drive very conservatively. No stomping on the throttle, make sure your maintenance is good, tires at correct pressure, etc. Next thing I would suggest is a 4" turbo back exhaust, a set of gauges and an SCT Xcal tuner. Run the most aggressive files and keep your foot out of it will net you the best mileage gains. With an Xtreme tune I see 17-18 normal driving, out on the highway I can get about 20mpg.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Emergency Services

Ok well he owns a small lawn Comp and not a big trailer or heavy but still drag i know 6.0 egt get hotter then the 7.3 but will this be a big factor?
Old 07-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Emergency Services

ohh yeah what's this DJ's tunes is he like Jody (DP) of the 6.0's????
Old 07-12-2008, 11:23 PM
one day at a time

EGT's aren't much of a factor until you tow heavy on a race file (not recommended) or you're WOT. With a big tune they can get real hot real fast. But no matter what tune you run, if you drive sensibly they run not much hotter than stock. DJ's, Innovative, and others are all custom tuning dealers, they write their own tunes for the 6.0's, like Jody or Tony for the 7.3's...
Old 07-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

7.3L High EGT and Boost Question

My good buddy and a great guy has been worked over pretty much by two shops now. He called and came by last night looking for help.
1997 PSD, DI engine 7.3L. 4x4 quad cab F350 Automatic.
He was told by a Diesel shop that he needs a new engine that one cyl is down to 350 psi and the engine is going to break.
I know a little about these engines and this one sounds great. He did have a bad number 4 injector and that is the low cyl, 350 psi.
This thing runs great, starts great I had him take me for a ride up a local long hill at 65 mph. It pulled very strong but the egt gauge went quickly up, almost as fast as he pushed his foot down. I also noted only 12 psi of boost at 2000 RPM under half throttle or less. Never saw more than 12 but I don't know how hard he pushed the pedal. He is very concerned he will burn up his engine. He also reports that on a hunting trip crossing Nevada he could not run 70 MPH with his camper on top because the EGT kept pushing past the orange into the red. This is a full camper, maybe 3,000 pounds but a fair amount of wind block. Not much load for a good running 7.3L.
This truck has 165,000 miles, not bad for a PSD.

I think the bad injector since replaced may have contributed by washing the cyl down before it was replaced and damaged piston rings. I could be very wrong.

The engine sounds too good and pulls so nice I suspect even if the cyl is down on compression that this engine is still at 90+ capacity and may last another 100,000.
It burns no oil. Water temp is perfect and stays planted at the gauge center.

Can I ask if anyone knows the cause of rapid EGT heat. It jumps as soon as the throttle goes down and keeps climbing.

A new down pipe was just welded in prior to the high egt issues. He also said the shop modified his computer while it was in.

I know this is limited information but I really would like to assist. He is a young man with three young children to raise and extra money is hard to come by. So far he has spent close to $ 3,000. and the EGT still climbs quickly. I wonder if it is a bad EGT sensor.

I do not note any unusual diesel clatter at idle so it sounds like the timing is very close if not stock.

Thanks for any help offered.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:13 AM
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlotorn View Post
My good buddy and a great guy has been worked over pretty much by two shops now. He called and came by last night looking for help.
1997 PSD, DI engine 7.3L. 4x4 quad cab F350 Automatic.
He was told by a Diesel shop that he needs a new engine that one cyl is down to 350 psi and the engine is going to break.
I know a little about these engines and this one sounds great. He did have a bad number 4 injector and that is the low cyl, 350 psi.
This thing runs great, starts great I had him take me for a ride up a local long hill at 65 mph. It pulled very strong but the egt gauge went quickly up, almost as fast as he pushed his foot down. I also noted only 12 psi of boost at 2000 RPM under half throttle or less. Never saw more than 12 but I don't know how hard he pushed the pedal. He is very concerned he will burn up his engine. He also reports that on a hunting trip crossing Nevada he could not run 70 MPH with his camper on top because the EGT kept pushing past the orange into the red. This is a full camper, maybe 3,000 pounds but a fair amount of wind block. Not much load for a good running 7.3L.
This truck has 165,000 miles, not bad for a PSD.

I think the bad injector since replaced may have contributed by washing the cyl down before it was replaced and damaged piston rings. I could be very wrong.

The engine sounds too good and pulls so nice I suspect even if the cyl is down on compression that this engine is still at 90+ capacity and may last another 100,000.
It burns no oil. Water temp is perfect and stays planted at the gauge center.

Can I ask if anyone knows the cause of rapid EGT heat. It jumps as soon as the throttle goes down and keeps climbing.

A new down pipe was just welded in prior to the high egt issues. He also said the shop modified his computer while it was in.

I know this is limited information but I really would like to assist. He is a young man with three young children to raise and extra money is hard to come by. So far he has spent close to $ 3,000. and the EGT still climbs quickly. I wonder if it is a bad EGT sensor.

I do not note any unusual diesel clatter at idle so it sounds like the timing is very close if not stock.

Thanks for any help offered.
If you want to get this question some more exposure, start it under a new thread in the '94-98 problems section. Not likely to draw any more attention here in this one. Sorry I'm not much help for your problem.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the tip, I am still trying to navigate this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.