Issue after SCT Tune - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 06:40 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Issue after SCT Tune

Before I installed my new tune everything was fine, so I went through the tune procedure, and once complete I started the truck to take if for a little trip and check the tunes performance, however my low fuel indicator came on and the guage was reading empty with "--- miles to empty" on the cluster. I had over 1/2 tank of fuel.

I turned the truck off, and turned the switch to the on position, I noticed the needle started to climb above E but it fell back to its resting position and the information center still reads "--- miles to empty"

Is this just a stroke of bad luck and timing in that the sending unit failed at the exact moment that I installed the tune, or did the flash possibly corrupt something in the ecu, Should I return to stock, then try to reinstall tune, or go ahead and order a new sending unit?

any thoughts or experienced are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Before returning to stock, down load the SCT software to your PC. You can find the info on SCT website.

After you have loaded the SCT software to your PC, your ready to save a copy of the stock file to your PC. You do this just in case the SCT loses the stock file when it's trying to return the truck back to stock tune.

Now onto you current issue. Once you saved a copy of the stock file to PC, then try returning back to stock. See if that fixes your fuel gauge issue. If your running a custom tune, contact the tune writer with the issue. If it's a canned tune, contact SCT. Sometimes custom tunes get corrupted during the email.

Now, you may try this also. The fuel gauge issue also happens sometimes if the owner leaves the key in the "on" position when fueling up. The fix is to just drive it for a couple of days, the key cycle of starting the truck on/off resets something in the PCM.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-11-2013, 08:48 PM

I have never in my life experienced such a PITA trying to update this tuner... oh well, I wish they had firmware to run it from the Apple OS, I am using my windows computer and it is being... lets call it "difficult"... I will keep trying

I managed to finally get everything to work long enough to pull my stock code to the desktop, but the update process is not working.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

As per sct tech was told to update my device . Terrible mistake firmware went fine, tune revision not some much. My computer would stop responding to the program. Had to use someone else's computer and had bulk writing issues even after having sect format the device 3 time. Needless to say I spent 6 hours messing around with the damn thing before it would work. So I understand your frustration.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Okay, so i gave up on updating the device to the new firmware, I restored everything to stock settings. Took the truck to the fuel station this morning (I was up till 2 am last night trying to get the device update loader to work) Filled up with fuel, and the guage is now working. I got home reloaded a milder 50hp tow tune, mainly for the trans adjustments and everything seems to be working well.

I will wait for SCT tech to repond to the "not so patient" email I sent this morning at 2 am before going to bed, hopefully he can just email me the file to do a manual firmware update, if that is even possible. Either way I am happy with the tune that is on the truck, I drove it about 100 miles round trip, 70/30 highway/town and picked up 2.5 MPG and the shifts are much firmer, so mission accomplished I guess.

thanks for your input
Old 10-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjw13cjw View Post
Okay, so i gave up on updating the device to the new firmware, I restored everything to stock settings. Took the truck to the fuel station this morning (I was up till 2 am last night trying to get the device update loader to work) Filled up with fuel, and the guage is now working. I got home reloaded a milder 50hp tow tune, mainly for the trans adjustments and everything seems to be working well.

I will wait for SCT tech to repond to the "not so patient" email I sent this morning at 2 am before going to bed, hopefully he can just email me the file to do a manual firmware update, if that is even possible. Either way I am happy with the tune that is on the truck, I drove it about 100 miles round trip, 70/30 highway/town and picked up 2.5 MPG and the shifts are much firmer, so mission accomplished I guess.

thanks for your input
Manual update the the drivers.

http://www.sctflash.com/support/inde...eid=54&nav=0,3

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.