Exhaust system upgrade - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust system upgrade

Exhaust system -

Here's what I've got:

IPR passenger side up pipe (89,717)
Motorcraft passenger side up-pipe bolts (89,717)
MBRP 4 aluminized steel single side off-road no muffler exhaust system (includes piping, hangers, and clamps) (89,717)
MBRP 4 to 6 12 long dual walled polished exhaust tip (includes clamp and pipe) (89,717)
Gauge to monitor exhaust gas temperature (I'm using Glowshift presently)

I went with the 4" exhaust mostly due to price as there's really no performance gain from the 5" exhaust. Most people get the 5" setup just for sound really as it provides a deeper tone than the 4", but it's also about double the price. There's tons of ways to do the exhaust - side exit, stacks, single rear exit, dual rear exit - it's all just preference. The main thing performance wise is just removing the cat and muffler and having the 4" downpipe. I simply chose MBRP for their pricing and excellent product. There's many other companies out there to go through, just do your research first. You can also get it in different grades of metal and finishes, once again it's preference. The up-pipe will most likely come with your EGR delete, so whatever company you choose will dictate that. I like IPR's up-pipe because of the 1" flange and the weld quality and I went with their GEN 2 EGR delete as well. There's many different companies who supply pyrometer gauges to measure exhaust gas temp but the recommended install location has always been the driver's side manifold right before the up-pipe section. You can do digital or analog gauges for it or you can get a temperature probe for whatever monitor you're using. I myself just prefer the analog needle sweep and went with Glowshift setup.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 06:11 PM

lol I guess I meant for it to be more of a "this is what I did" post, but instead it came out more as a public service announcement.
TheMudWagon likes this.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:59 PM

Bumping this back up. The one thing I missed that I've been seeing pop up lately is the Sinister Y-pipe. Would a Y-pipe be worth it on a stock or slightly upgraded turbo?
Old 11-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Auto_Tech View Post
Bumping this back up. The one thing I missed that I've been seeing pop up lately is the Sinister Y-pipe. Would a Y-pipe be worth it on a stock or slightly upgraded turbo?
yes sir I think it is worth it , I am running one with my power max and its spooling great low egts , also it will never break anywhere its a solid unit ..love it
Old 12-04-2013, 07:32 PM

I've decided to forgo the Sinister Y-pipe due to fitment issues. I don't feel like trying to wrestle one into place nor do I feel it'll be worth the money for myself who is on a factory turbo and injectors.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:35 AM
Premium Member

the only reason I say its worth it is bc its the last y pipe you will ever have to put in .
Old 12-05-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotibbo View Post
the only reason I say its worth it is bc its the last y pipe you will ever have to put in .
I figure if it I have problems with my factory one I'll just take it to a marine/ag place and have them weld heavy duty flex sections in.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:41 AM

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotibbo View Post
yes sir I think it is worth it , I am running one with my power max and its spooling great low egts , also it will never break anywhere its a solid unit ..love it
I wouldnt say that it CANT break... We dont know how strong those welds are yet. I still think the best way to go is the stock pipes ceramic coated with the upgraded SS weave bellows. The bellows give some play in the pipes and allow for some vibration absorption
Old 12-05-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
I wouldnt say that it CANT break... We dont know how strong those welds are yet. I still think the best way to go is the stock pipes ceramic coated with the upgraded SS weave bellows. The bellows give some play in the pipes and allow for some vibration absorption
Exactly. I would rather ceramic coat a stocker and replace the bellows with the stainless weave flex section. This makes it much easier to mount up and will aborb the vibrations causing the welds to not have to hold all of the strength. If you have to install that Y-pipe with a ratchet strap I can't imagine it's gonna last long on the welds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.