Oiling system maintenace/upgrades - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 06:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oiling system maintenace/upgrades

So, I'm am avid poster over on FTE but have wanted to get some more opinions on the performance side of things. This is a post that I had over there that got some replies but wouldn't mind reaching out to a few more people. I know this has maintenance stuff, but am curious if there's any performance aspects of the system I haven't touched on.

Oiling system -

Recommended:

Drain and refill oiling system with Rotella T6 5W-40
Motorcraft oil filter
Motorcraft oil filter cap
Fumoto oil drain valve
Motorcraft updated oil cooler kit
Motorcraft updated STC fitting kit (05-up)
Motorcraft updated dummy plugs (04-up)
Motorcraft updated stand pipes (04-up)
Motorcraft updated turbo oil feed line
Motorcraft updated turbo oil return line
Motorcraft updated oil dipstick (03-06)

Optional:
Add Rev-X or Hot Shot Secret to oiling system
Install aftermarket metal oil filter cap (BPD, Sinister)
Install aftermarket metal oil fill cap (BPD, Sinister)
Install aftermarket bypass oil filter setup (BPD, Sinister, Amsoil)
Install aftermarket oil cooler assembly (IPR or BPD)
Install aftermarket high pressure oil pump screen (IPR)
Install aftermarket high pressure oil delivery system (Diesel Site)
Install aftermarket high pressure oil pump (Diesel Site)
Upgrade to 05-up high pressure oil pump (03-04 trucks) (OEM parts)

I think about everyone on here knows about using Rotella T6, Rev-X, OEM filters, OEM filter cap, and a Fumoto drain valve, so I'm not gonna go into that. Hot Shot Secret is also preferred by some people, so it really seems to be just a preference thing anymore. The updated STC fitting, HPOP screen, dummy plugs, stand pipes, turbo feed and return lines, IPR screen, and dipstick all make sense. They were parts that were re-designed and updated by Ford. They are things that should be installed during an oil cooler job as most of them can easily be accessed during this process. As far as the updated parts thing - from what I can tell none of those parts made it onto any 6.0 besides the oil feed line. Late 06 and 07's had them from what I've read along with possibly the dipstick. I know without a doubt the updated oil cooler, STC fitting, HPOP screen, dummy plugs, stand pipes, oil return line, and IPR screen never made it on a 6.0. They were all parts that were created after the 6.0 finished its production run. Also, just to clarify, the HPOP screen is the same as the oil cooler screen. Some people just refer to it differently. The updated oil cooler kit (11 row) comes with the updated (stainless) oil cooler screen. Also, the updated STC fitting kit (stronger) comes with the updated (stainless) IPR screen as well.

There are the optional metal caps out there. They are generally for the guys who are adding accessories like oil temp gauges, bypass oil filtration setups, etc. Generally the plastic caps don't have any issues unless someone is over-tightening them. I myself can't justify the price of the metal caps for looks-only. The bypass oil filter setup seems to just be one of those extra "things" you can install if you have the money. These trucks aren't fans of extended drain intervals, and it's been shown the OEM filter does a perfectly adequate job of filtering the oil, especially if you are using a good oil like Rotella T6. There's quite a few people out there who advise against the bypass filters as no matter what the 6.0 shears oil. Diesel Site just recently released the high pressure oil delivery system and in theory it's cool idea. Apparently it's only useful for the guys with 195 or larger injectors though and that the factory HPO system (especially 05-up) can easily handle things up to that point. I would highly recommend the Diesel Site HPOP for the 03-04.5 guys who need to replace their pump as the OEM pump has a much higher failure rate than the 04.5-up guys. Also, you have the option to upgrade to the later pump as well but it's very involved and most likely not going to be worth it. IPR recently released the extreme duty oil cooler screen and although it makes sense, the OEM oil cooler screen was updated to a stainless steel mesh to prevent issues. To me the oil cooler screen is going to be more of bling item as I haven't heard of the updated oil cooler screen failing unless there were other bigger issues with the truck.

The oil cooler debate is a very heavy one around here. You have 3 setups generally - OEM, IPR's remote setup, IPR's replacement oil cooler, and BPD's air/oil setup. The OEM setup has been shown to work perfect with proper cooling system maintenance, and everyone here knows how it works. Ford has an updated oil cooler out now, so a lot of people choose to simply replace it for peace of mind. IPR has what appears to be a great setup with their external cooler setup, but has draw-backs. It doesn't really provide any additional oil cooling ability, just makes it easier to replace the oil cooler down the road. It requires you to run the 100% filtration setup and makes it harder to perform normal oil changes, plus it's a bit pricey and hasn't really been proven well. I DO NOT recommend this setup as it is very unproven. IPR also has their replacement cooler for the OEM setup with larger passes. Problem with this is it lowers the coolant's ability to cool the oil and IPR does NOT recommend it for towing, so I also DO NOT recommend this thing either. BPD's setup is great and works extremely well, but you lose the ability to warm the oil using the cooling system and it may not be a good idea for those of us in very cold weather, plus it's VERY costly.

Here's what my list looks like at this point for the oiling system:

Perform routine oil change and inspection using Rotella T6 oil, REV-X, and Motorcraft OEM oil filter (every 5,000 miles)
Motorcraft oil filter housing cap (85,923)
Fumoto oil drain valve (85,923)
Motorcraft updated oil dipstick (86,264)
Motorcraft oil pressure switch (81,362)
Motorcraft updated oil cooler kit (89,717)
Motorcraft updated high pressure oil pump STC fitting kit (89,717)
Motorcraft updated high pressure dummy rail plugs (89,717)
Motorcraft updated high pressure stand pipes (89,717)
Motorcraft updated turbo oil feed line (89,717)
Motorcraft updated turbo oil drain line (89,717)

Last edited by The_Auto_Tech; 03-07-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Auto_Tech For This Useful Post:
cavlino (03-09-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would scratch off the IPR remote oil cooler. There is not enough data to support oil psi drop thru the engine with this set-up.

There was a long thread about it a couple of months back.

Don't forget about Archoil AR9100 as a alternative to expensive Rev-x. Many have had great results.

http://www.evergreenamerica.com/inde...oss-solutions/

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Stiles likes this.

Last edited by Lilpooh; 10-10-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
I would scratch off the IPR remote oil cooler. There is not enough data to support oil psi drop thru the engine with this set-up.

There was a long thread about it a couple of months back.

Don't forget about Archoil AR9100 as a alternative to expensive Rev-x. Many have had great results.

We have a solution to a problem for Powerstroke Engines that are experiencing Stcition, Injector issues, Power Loss and Poor Fuel Economy - Evergreen America Corporation

Further down in my post I stated that I do NOT condone the IPR remote oil cooler setup nor do I condone their oil cooler itself. I've had good luck with REV-X but many others have stated good results with Hot Shot Secret and Archoil as well. I guess IMO I will just let people do their own research into what they would like to run. Based on what I read I decided to go with REV-X. Some people also run many other additives as well.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:54 PM

I'm assuming only the guys running the oil bypass setups are using those metal caps? I've yet to see anyone running them that wasn't using a bypass setup. I've also gotten some conflicting interest on the bypass setups as well having issues trying to extend the oil life interval. Also, I'm curious if anyone out there is using the IPR oil cooler screen yet. I'd imagine it's a neat piece, but wasn't sure if it's really anything better than the updated oil cooler screen from Ford that's all metal as well.

As far as the high pressure oil delivery system goes I'm still not sure what to think of it. I guess there's an Adrenaline pump coming out for the 05+ trucks now as well. From what I read in the other thread it's crapshoot whether the delivery system will do more for you or whether the Adrenaline pump would do more. I couldn't really find a definitely answer on where these things might actually be needed along the upgrade line as most guys aren't using either of them.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

I personally don't see any value in the turbo oil drain. The original drain is fine. I would consider the updated oil feed tube though. The Jury is out on the High Pressure Oil Delivery System from Diesel Site. I will be doing some dyno tesst of this system Friday at PHP. Hopefully it will give us some data to work with rather than opinion.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
I personally don't see any value in the turbo oil drain. The original drain is fine. I would consider the updated oil feed tube though. The Jury is out on the High Pressure Oil Delivery System from Diesel Site. I will be doing some dyno tesst of this system Friday at PHP. Hopefully it will give us some data to work with rather than opinion.
I figured if you're pulling the turbo the drain and feed updated lines are worth tossing in since they're cheap. I'm curious to see your findings on the HPO delivery system. I have a feeling only the large injectors will benefit from it and that the stock system can easily supply enough oil to not cause a power loss.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:31 AM

Going to bump this to see if there's any news on the HPODS that I've missed. I do know there's a Diesel Site pump out now for the 05-up trucks which I don't have on my list. I'm more than sure though me being on stock injectors means I don't need the HPODS or the Adrenaline pump though. I still haven't found a good use for the metal oil caps unless you're using a bypass filter setup or aftermarket oil cooler setup. Unless the BPD cooler comes down more it's something I feel isn't worth it more me still and the IPR remote cooler setup and cooler is still junk. The bypass filter setups to me aren't worth it either. The only thing I wouldn't mind is the IPR cooler screen, but IMO the updated stainless OEM one is plenty.

Anything I might be missing at this point?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Auto_Tech View Post
Going to bump this to see if there's any news on the HPODS that I've missed. I do know there's a Diesel Site pump out now for the 05-up trucks which I don't have on my list. I'm more than sure though me being on stock injectors means I don't need the HPODS or the Adrenaline pump though. I still haven't found a good use for the metal oil caps unless you're using a bypass filter setup or aftermarket oil cooler setup. Unless the BPD cooler comes down more it's something I feel isn't worth it more me still and the IPR remote cooler setup and cooler is still junk. The bypass filter setups to me aren't worth it either. The only thing I wouldn't mind is the IPR cooler screen, but IMO the updated stainless OEM one is plenty.

Anything I might be missing at this point?

The billet oil filter cap, you won't have to worry about breaking. Over time the plastic cap may crack or break. Other advantage is the 1/8npt for adding either oil psi or oil temp.

Other than that, the billet cap adds bling to the engine bay.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:58 AM

Yea, if I'm going to add an oil pressure gauge I'll be doing it that way. I just put a new OEM cap on about 15,000 miles ago to replace an aftermarket one so it's got some life in it. Glad to see I've got everything covered though that I need to.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is the Rotella T6 5W-40 a performance upgrade? Is it ok for towing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.