Replacement Cat? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 06:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacement Cat?

So when I bought my F250 it had a strait pipe on it with no cat or muffler which I replaced with a T409 Magnaflow system however I still have no cat.

I just bought the truck so i need to run it through emissions within the next few weeks and i also am afraid that the lack of a cat will mess up warranty issues so where can I grab a cheap one? All i want it for is so i could swap it with the test pipe when i bring it for emissions and the dealer otherwise it will not be use.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

what year is your truck?
Old 07-06-2008, 06:44 PM

It shouldn't be a problem not having a cat on there...
Old 07-06-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagmanf350 View Post
what year is your truck?

I know its not going to throw a check engine light like a gas vehicle would but I am new to diesels so I don't really know what I can and cant get away with yet
Old 07-06-2008, 07:12 PM

Depends on your state and dealer. My dealer specifically said that they didn't care about exhaust as long as the cat was there. Where I get mine inspected in Texas they don't even look underneath. As long as there are no codes in the computer, it passes. Some places are more anal. The worst they could do is fail you and you'd just have to go back and get a re-inspect. I'd try it and see what happens.

I'd post in the for sale area with a "wanted" heading. I bet somebody here would sell you their old cat.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Sciulli
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleshotzPerf View Post
So when I bought my F250 it had a strait pipe on it with no cat or muffler which I replaced with a T409 Magnaflow system however I still have no cat.

I just bought the truck so i need to run it through emissions within the next few weeks and i also am afraid that the lack of a cat will mess up warranty issues so where can I grab a cheap one? All i want it for is so i could swap it with the test pipe when i bring it for emissions and the dealer otherwise it will not be use.

Thanks
Emissions are not required on diesels... unless you live in one of those hippie states(but i'm pretty sure CA would be the only one).
Old 07-07-2008, 05:16 AM
Super Duper Duty

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
when i inspect diesels i dont usuaally look them over to closly. one guy even told me wasnt runnning at cat or muffler man that 6.0 whistled
Old 07-07-2008, 12:42 PM

I looked into things further and it turns out I only get a OBD test for emissions so I'm good there but the parts guy at the dealer told me specifically to make sure the truck has a cat before i bring it in for warranty work so i still gotta come up with one

Hopefully, I just wont have any engine related issues
Old 07-07-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciulli View Post
Emissions are not required on diesels... unless you live in one of those hippie states(but i'm pretty sure CA would be the only one).
Unfortunately, Texas is one of them. LOL There was an exemption for diesels up to about 2 years ago. Now it's gone from the code. They usually don't look too closely, but if the truck came with emissions devices they have to be intact for it to be legal. I've heard of similar regs in other southern states too.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech10002 View Post
Unfortunately, Texas is one of them. LOL There was an exemption for diesels up to about 2 years ago. Now it's gone from the code. They usually don't look too closely, but if the truck came with emissions devices they have to be intact for it to be legal. I've heard of similar regs in other southern states too.
weird! i have no cat and never had issues with inspection in Tx. guess I have just been lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.