Looking at starting my build thread - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at starting my build thread

Hi guys,

Looking at building my truck up over the winter, going to be doing performance stuff first, then some suspension when spring comes.

Would like some opinions on what to do to push some power out of my truck.

Looking at doing water/meth and air intake first, then turbo and injectors, then tranny if need be which Im sure it will need it. What is the best combo that you guys have found? My fuel pressure at idle is around 56 psi with blue spring, and at wot with my tune, is about 30. I do need to get that fixed, just not sure what will be the best solution.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 11:08 AM

Also was thinking of getting a php ficm tuner asap.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Did you just start a thread talking about starting a thread? Lol

It all kinda depends on your goals...how much power you are after, and how you use the truck. If you need to tow a lot that'll limit how big injectors and how big the nozzles can be. Also budget is a huge factor. What are you using to monitor everything? Oil temp, coolant tenp, egt, and all? Ficm tuning helps a lot, I have the one from php. For me, they all seem to make it faster, but atlas 80 and Hercules are really smokey and hot. I normally then the atlas 40 or 80. I spoke with Jesse warren and he recommended I go with 175/30, which is what I was kinda leaning towards if I went bigger at all
I'm still on stock turbo for a little longer, but as it it moves right along pretty good...or of did until the trans went out lol. Its hot. I can hit 1800 degrees but that's on Hercules ficm tune and Looney wild, which I'll no longer be using.
.have Matt's srl Xx waiting for when the trans comes back from Andy warren. That's my combo for reference sake...I mostly use mine for daily driving to and from work about 45 miles each way, and towing my mud truck once or twice a month during the summer. Jesse assured me towing 10-12k lbs occasionally wouldn't be an egt issue with 175/30's, which it hasn't been, and it really is fun to drive when it had a working transmission...the fastest thing on the road, no...but plenty fun enough to get in trouble with. As soon as Adrian gets the madmax dialed in, that's what will be paired with it. Not to ramble on about my truck, but just for reference sake.

If by air intake you mean like a cold air intake, that money would probably net you more noticeable gains if applied towards a ported intake manifold...but I have a s&b intake, easier to change than the factory filter and probably does help some, even on 'mild' trucks. Some say the factory intake is good to 500+ HP, which may be true, but I've also seen a cai help less than 500 rwhp trucks too. A lot of it decides how far you plan to go performance wise...what your goals are. Water method is a decent bang for the buck. High on my list as soon as my trans is back. If you only plan to be around 500 HP or so your stock trans should do OK for a while if its been maintained well, and if tuning is spot on...but if you plan on running it hard at that level, or going much higher I'd pretty much say plan on a trans eventually. Good luck, I'm sure lots of others will chime in, just figured I'd share my setup and some reasoning behind my choices in case some of that pertains to you.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:09 PM

Sorry, got sidetracked when I was doing this haha should be looking at starting my truck build. As for power, im looking to push as much as I can, with doing it bit by bit, only have about 2k a month to spend on the build for right now. I have a 3 in 1 gauge for egt, fuel pressure and boost, and then an edge cts doing the rest. I am only using it for street, and sled pulling. FICM tuner I think will be first, then water meth and intake, as smokey doesnt bother me when I'm pulling. I do drive the truck to work for now, but its only about a 15 mile commute each way through the country. For intake, I wanted to grab the s&b cold air intake and the intake elbow with the ports drilled so I can use it for my meth kit easier instead of tapping more ports into my stock one. I would like to push it past the 500 hp mark to the rear wheels, but over time so I can set some aside for a tranny as I know thats not going to be cheap. Im running innovative xtreme x tune, as well as Wildmans extreme tune.

Thank you very much for the detailed description! Much appreciated as I seem to be on the right track then.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:16 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

With $2k a month to spend, I would save for 3-4 months and then start. And since you are wanting it all, I would go big or go home. For the most part, 500-550hp costs about 80-90% of what 600-650hp costs.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:20 PM

Right on, Guess ill just get my ficm programmer, water/meth and cold air for now and save the rest till mid winter and start! Ill be getting a MTW turbo for sure!
Old 10-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

Do you still have your egr cooler? And when you did studs, or any other time did you update you hpo fittings and all? You may consider the BPD oil cooler,they're pricey, but it effective. Before you get too carried away with the performance stuff, I'd make sure some of the known problem areas are addressed. A coolant filter and elc coolant are good choices...I'd highly recommend doing so if you stay with your OE oil cooler.

And I agree with Nate (Windrunner 408)...if you don't need to tow a lot or don't have a reason not to, I'd go bigger. If I didn't tow kinda big occasionally I'd have gone bigger...I might anyway now that the trans won't be an issue. I wanna say 205 cc injectors are about all the factory hpop will handle, and certainly the stock fuel system won't keep up...but it sounds like yours isn't keeping up now anyway lol.

Last edited by Gearhead2012; 10-06-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:22 PM

Not sure on the egr, I think its still there, not sure if a bulletproof one has been put it or not, and studs were done when I bought the truck, so not too sure what shop did it. Already had a BPD oil cooler on it as well. Was going to grab a coolant filter whenever I put my order in for my cold air, as well as water meth
Old 10-06-2013, 12:32 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Don't waste your money on W/M. Just go after real power. If you want drugs, get NO2. Also, I don't like PHP's FICM tuner with "larger" injectors. I would get Eric's FICM tuner instead. Ask me how I know.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:34 PM

Haven't read up too much on N02 in a diesel and how it pulls with it, and may I ask you why you say that? I've heard nothing but amazing things about php ficm tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.