How necessary is EGR delete with tune if deltas are OK? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 06:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How necessary is EGR delete with tune if deltas are OK?

'06 crew cab long bed 6-speed. All stock. 70K miles. Runs perfect.

I am in the process of ordering a Livewire TS from vivian to tune and monitor the truck. Fresh oil change, just ordered the blue spring and some rev-x.

My plan: Install the livewire (no tune) and run it for a bit to make sure everything looks ok with EOT and ECT, and FCIM voltages. IF EVERYTHING LOOKS OK i was planning on loading a quiciktricks tune. (street or looney, doubt clutch can handle looney tune).

My question: Provided that the ECT EOT temps check out ok, would it still be necessary to do the EGR delete now, or wait until it needs an oil cooler replaced? I was thinking to just change out all the coolant, flush it with DI H20 a couple times, then replace coolant and add a coolant filter. Then just keep an eye on my deltas.

All opinions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Premium Member

I would monitor it and go from there, but its never a bad idea to get the egr cooler out or upgraded with a bpd unit. Especially if you already have a tuner on the way to turn off a possible cel
Old 10-03-2013, 07:11 AM

I would go ahead and delete the egr cooler or install a BPD cooler. The ECT/EOT are monitored as to keep up with the health of your oil cooler. If you believe your oil cooler good then just do the delete, for me since I was in there I went ahead and put in a new oem oil cooler.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:18 AM

Ok. I plan to do the EGR delete regardless (and oil cooler at same time). I am just trying to get a grasp on how much of a priority the delete is. (like does it need done IMMEDIATELY?).

I am under the impression that if the oil cooler is OK, then the EGR cooler should be OK because the failing oil cooler is the souce of the EGR cooler failure.

If I can get by for a few months with fresh coolant and a filter and then eventually do the delete, that would be great, if not, I'll do it asap.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:28 AM

[QUOTE=Stlavsa;6813505]I am under the impression that if the oil cooler is OK, then the EGR cooler should be OK because the failing oil cooler is the souce of the EGR cooler failure.

This is not always the case. Egr coolers will fail even though you have a good oil cooler. Egr cooler cool exhaust gas that is going to be recirculated into your intake again. Removing you egr cooler will make your motor more efficient.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:44 AM

And I guess theres no point in removing the EGR cooler to clean it, if I do that I might as well just do the delete? Or is it less work to clean it for the time being?? (I'm still trying to figure out how im gonna handle all this **** from an emissions inspection stand point).

We dont have emissions on diesels but I dont know if it needs the EGR in there for visual inspection.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

you could weld up both ends of the egr cooler and put it back, then from a visual stand point it looks like it's there, but blocks off flow of exhaust gases.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlavsa View Post
And I guess theres no point in removing the EGR cooler to clean it, if I do that I might as well just do the delete? Or is it less work to clean it for the time being?? (I'm still trying to figure out how im gonna handle all this **** from an emissions inspection stand point).

We dont have emissions on diesels but I dont know if it needs the EGR in there for visual inspection.
If you don't have emissions on diesel then you can delete the egr cooler. Here in nc we only have safety inspections and the hood is never raised.

Never heard of cleaning an egr cooler, I wouldn't advise it.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:58 AM

Plus since you have an 06, you might want to think about replacing the up pipe also. On the 06 there is a scoop inside that deflects exhaust into the egr cooler. No cooler replace with straight pipe.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:59 AM

OK so if I weld up the EGR so it still looks like its there, is that essentially the same as a delete? Then the only thing left to do is make sure the tuner knows about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.