2.5"coil spacer +2" strut spacer = 4.5" of lift?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 01:46 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2.5"coil spacer +2" strut spacer = 4.5" of lift??

I'm going to level my truck with the coil spacer but a 4.5" leveling kit sounds pretty good to me, this must not work how I'm thinking it will, will I need any drop brackets? Help me out!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 02:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You need an entire lift kit
Old 10-03-2013, 03:39 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yeah they don't really call it a leveling kit at 4.5" lol. If its that far out of level, you've got other problems hahaha. There's the rubber kind that goes on top of the spring, then the cheaper eBay kind that is basically an aluminum puck under the spring seat. I guess you could run both, but you'd really want to drop your radius arms/brackets, without that, you'd have a very hard time getting enough negative castor to keep it aligned. You should be able to keep stock track bar...but barely, you wouldn't need a drop pitman arm. Technically you should probably use sway bar end link extensions with 4"+ lift. Honestly before I spent money on 2 leveling kits and stacking them, look in the for sale section...that's where I got my lift from. They're up for sale all the time, you could probably get a 4" used kit for a few hundred bucks...4-600, or piece a kit together.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:09 AM

Thanks guys it was just a quick brainfart I had before I actually thought about it haha
Old 10-03-2013, 04:10 AM

What is the for sale section??
Old 10-03-2013, 05:58 AM

I started with a 2" puck spcer level kit and quickly migrated to the Icon 4.5" kit.

Icon makes a 4.5" kit as does Carli both are expensive but justifiably so for what you get.

I've had the Icon and it's the most complete and easy to do it yourself with a couple of lifts. No - welding

It retains the end links for the sway bar, doesn't require a drop pitman arm because it comes with an adjustable track arm bar to keep the wheels aligned under the front end.

You could conceivably do what you're talking about.... a Rubber spacer on top and a aluminum spacer under the factory springs and get the icon adjustable track bar and alignment shims, have the truck realigned and replace the rear blocks with Ford F-350 Blocks or Icon or ??? or OUO 5" blocks and be done with it.

Not having riddin in nor owned a truck with a Carli suspension, Icon makes the best in my opinion and has the highest resale mainly because of the lifetime warranty.

My .02

d
Old 10-03-2013, 06:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

You'll need radius arm drop brackets, adjustable track bar or a track bar drop bracket, longer shocks, 5" rear block with longer U-Bolts, carrier bearing shim, drop pitman arm, longer front brake lines or brake line extension brackets, probably alignment cams too, and either longer swaybar end links or a swaybar drop bracket. By the time you by all of that you will have a cobbled together crap lift that cost just as much or more as a decent name brand lift thats complete.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:40 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota_james11 View Post
What is the for sale section??
The classified section. on the forum, for members only. Lots of good buys on there.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/sal...-members-only/

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel angus View Post
I started with a 2" puck spcer level kit and quickly migrated to the Icon 4.5" kit.

Icon makes a 4.5" kit as does Carli both are expensive but justifiably so for what you get.

I've had the Icon and it's the most complete and easy to do it yourself with a couple of lifts. No - welding

It retains the end links for the sway bar, doesn't require a drop pitman arm because it comes with an adjustable track arm bar to keep the wheels aligned under the front end.

You could conceivably do what you're talking about.... a Rubber spacer on top and a aluminum spacer under the factory springs and get the icon adjustable track bar and alignment shims, have the truck realigned and replace the rear blocks with Ford F-350 Blocks or Icon or ??? or OUO 5" blocks and be done with it.

Not having riddin in nor owned a truck with a Carli suspension, Icon makes the best in my opinion and has the highest resale mainly because of the lifetime warranty.

My .02

d
I too have the icon, their 4 link kit. Its all really beefy, better atlrticulation and geometry than stock when lifted. I bought it used off the classified section. Icon is great, I've heard great things about Carli too. There's always rough country or skyjacker and superlift and all the big names, but I've never been too impressed with stuff from any of them as far as quality. Plus like Eric at ptp said, you piece together a kit and have all sorts of loose ends... mismatched stuff. Nothing wrong with it really, except odds are you'll spend almost as much to just buy a complete quality kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric@PTP View Post
You'll need radius arm drop brackets, adjustable track bar or a track bar drop bracket, longer shocks, 5" rear block with longer U-Bolts, carrier bearing shim, drop pitman arm, longer front brake lines or brake line extension brackets, probably alignment cams too, and either longer swaybar end links or a swaybar drop bracket. By the time you by all of that you will have a cobbled together crap lift that cost just as much or more as a decent name brand lift thats complete.
I agree, that's what I was trying to get at earlier, he could maybe skip a couple of those things and get by...but its miserable driving a truck that doesn't drive well...death wobble, wearing tires out left and right, terrible bump steer. I would also add that spending money on good shocks is definitely worth it.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:55 AM

I have the 4.5" Icon kit + 2" front spacer and extended drop link arms.

Once I went past 4.5" and 35's I had to....

Replace:
Drop Pitman Arm
Drop Track Arm Bracket
Drop Steering Stab. Bracket
Longer Front stab. arms.
Shock extenders (front)
Longer Bilsteins in rear
Longer stab arms (rear)

I'm not sure how much money if any i saved by doing it a piece at a time vs. selling my old kit and getting a 7" and running 37's.

IF I had it to do over i'd stay with 4.5 and run 35's it's just not worth the additional weight, and reduction in mileage and an overall different ride.

My .02
D
Old 10-03-2013, 11:21 AM

I just put a Zone Off-road 4" kit on my 06. I really like it so far. Came with new radius arms, coil springs, nitro shocks, rear blocks, new track bar, swaybar end links, etc. It rides much better than factory. The components all appeared to be very good quality. I am a welder and as far as the fabbed components go, very good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.