Sct programer with no head studs?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 11:54 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sct programer with no head studs??

I was looking into buying an sct programmer or a banks system... DO NOT HAVE HEAD STUDS. But I heard of lots of 6.0 guys running this on exstream with no studs and never having a problem... Do you recomend this? As long as I'm not towing a 20000 lb trailer will it be fine? Looking for input! I don't have the money for headstuds at te moment but I would feel much safer with them... WANT YOUR INPUT PLEASE!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Get a monitor if you dont already have one. This will allow you to make sure your truck is healthy before tuning. When you order a tune, the tuner will ask if you are studded or not and write the tune accordingly. One thing to keep in mind when tuning a stock truck......if there is ANYTHING wrong mechanically it will show itself when the truck is tuned!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

Stay away from Banks. Far away.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

While there are "head bolt safe" tunes, keep in mind a stock truck can experience head gasket or EGR failures. I personally would only tune the truck if you either have the cash to fix it or have another vehicle to drive in the event of a problem. I had studs and still blew the even side gasket by cyl 2. Part of the problem was that the cylinder heads were out of spec.

Regardless if you do/do not program your truck you really should invest in a monitor and/or gauges. If you're tuned I also highly recommend fuel pressure and pyrometer.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:25 PM
...swamp trash...

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm running an SCT X3 with multiple tunes and FICM tuning and still on stock head bolts. There are various tuners out there that will all work with you, you just have to specify if you want a tow, extreme or street tune etc. Just make sure when you have a tune written to specify you are non studded.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:32 PM

I am running a tune from innovative diesel with a sct tuner, with stock head bolts at the moment, and I'm experiencing no problems..just remember, don't go super hardcore with it, just get a good street tune and you should be fine. And with the EGR stuff, in my opinion if you don't have to do emissions then get rid of that junk. Just my .02 brother.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-01-2013, 01:35 PM

THANKYOU guys for your input, some sct programers come with pre tunes already loaded in them, for a banks system, the one I am looking at comes with a palm and already tells you most temps and egt readings and what not, would this be fine to run for gauges or would I also have to add?
Old 10-01-2013, 02:11 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I woudnlt run pre-programmed tunes wit or without studs! Get an SCT WITH custom tunes and don't drive it like you stole it every single day... You should be fine, took mine almost three years and I drove the crap outa the truck the whole time. Egr cooler went causing the head gaskets to go... Monitoring closer could have prevented my head gasket failure.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sct and custom tunes is the only way to go

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-01-2013, 04:06 PM

I've always leaned more tword sct anyways, I'm looking at the livewire... Is this any good or is anyone running it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.