Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Y Pipe replacement

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  william_ace 
#1 ·
Are there any gains to replacing the stock Y pipe for performance?

07DIESEL6L

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#2 ·
Yes...smoothed out flow to the turbo once you fix the train-wreck of a collector up top. Add heavy duty bellows to prevent a separation thus preventing a leak. Removing the "scoop" on the passenger side up-pipe helps with flow as well.

#3 ·
Make sure you have the heavy duty bellows like he said above me. The solid ones work for a little while but the bellows are there for the expansion and contraction of heat cycles. The solid ones tend to leak after a while.

#4 ·
I saw the RCD up pipes the other day...who else makes a decent set? I know mpd sells one, but it says they start with a factory up pipe, so I'm wondering if they address the collector area at all? The RCD is a lot of money
But it looks like its quality work. I like that it eliminates a bunch of issues all at once, like cracked bellows and all, i didn't realize how many issues up pipe figment causes frequently until I started having issues with mine. With that and a ported manifold with the egr cut out, you could just delete the egr right from the get go, without buying a kit...simply reroute the coolant and done...just thinking.

#5 ·
I have a HD y-pipe from Elite and like it.

#8 ·
As I recall, no one really addresses the flowing of the pipes. *Most* (because I'm not 100% sure) just clean them up and redo the bellows. I had mine cleaned up at the top when I did mine.

#9 ·
I remember a while back Adrian posted something about modifying the collector area. The RCD pipes seem to address it, at least they show pics of the collector area, I think it looks better than what I remember the stock one looking like, but RCD is like 800 bucks, the elite and MPD are like 3-350 iirc. It would just be nice to fix all the issues at once, rather than spend the money on the flexible section and all, then just bolt the crappy stock collector area back on. I doubt that its a huge flow inhibitor, but none the less if you're going to spend the money and address some of the issues, why not fix the flow issues too.

#10 ·
Wow, I had never seen the RCD up pipes. They sure are pretty and look to be hella stout. But they do come with a hefty price tag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.