New here - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 11:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New here

Hey guys im new around here, but not to forums. Im picking up a 2005 F-250 harley davidson this week. Itll be my first diesel truck so I had it checked out by my buddy who owns a diesel shop, and ran a carfax on it. Everything came back good so im going to buy it. It has 168K miles on it 6in lift, 35's, ARP head studs, SCT programer, AFE intake, 4in turbo back, quadzilla monitor, new batteries. I have been on the forums looking around for a while now and have planned some mods. Already have a Scangauge II to replace the quadzilla, Sinister coolant filter is on the way, Oil will be changed the day I get it to rotella synthetic 5w-40 w/ford filter, fuel filters will be changed at the same time w/ford filters, Will be doing a hot trans flush, wheels will be changed to 20x12 fuel hostage's wrapped in 35x12.50 trail graps, Sinister EGR delete will be getting installed along with a update kit for the turbo feed/drain and other parts associated with the turbo being pulled, blue spring mod, and cleaning the turbo while its off. Now some things id like more info on:

Tunes:

ECM- Was wanting to get custom tunes either ID or PHP
FICM- Again ID or PHP Atlas 40 or 80?

While the turbo was off for cleaning would it be worth it for a wheel upgrade? Batmo or MTW?

Truck will be my DD, I dont pull more then a single car trailer and the most weight would be a mustang. Most likley not going to be getting into the bigger fuel system/injectors and no more turbo then needed, would be happy with power around 450-500. Not going to race maybe take it out to the local 1/8th mile and play at tnt just for some fun, same with pulling would just go out for some fun nothing competitive. So lets hear it guys what do you think of my plans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 02:38 AM
Smoke Eater

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to fdchief
Welcome and looks like ya found a good one!!... As for tunes.. PHP ID are both very good choices.... I run tony wildmans extreme and love it. for FICM you cant go wrong either way... for wheel id most def go with MTW.... just simply for their continued input here and seems to be very prompt customer service..... good luck and welcome to the org!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 04:39 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Unless the trans has been religiously maintained, and I mean religious at every 30k or less, I wouldn't do a flush. Every reputable shop I've spoken to about trans rebuilding says no flushes. I would however drop the pan to inspect it, then do a 08/09/10 pan and filter. Read up on that, lots of info on here about it. The early trucks, 03-08.5 didn't have much of a filter in the trans pan, just a screen really, they had a bypass style filter up by the bumper, it filters great, but its only bypass filter meaning it won't filter all the fluid every pass.

Honestly if you're attempting to approach 500hp at the wheels, I'd be planning on a upgraded trans eventually, especially if you're going to take it to the track. I was right around that power level, albeit on fluid that had probably never been changed at 150k miles, combined with tuning that had questionable shifting and it smoked the torque converter clutches and direct clutches. Maybe just my dumb luck, I know there's lots of folks around 500+ on stock trans, but eventually you hear of them addressing the trans.

I'd also recommend a coolant flush, and switch over to elc coolant. It won't gum up and clog up the oil cooler as bad as the ford gold coolant, though without the egr system it should be less of a problem.

As for tuning, Eric or bill at php are well represented here, I've spoken with both of them, very intelligent guys, though I've never run their ecm tunes. I do run a php ficm tuner, I like it, makes a difference for sure, but anything over the atlas 80 is really hot really fast. I would also consider matt at gearhead automotive, no relation to me or my username, just a coincidence. He's also a smart guy. Back ground in engineering...that's who's tunes I have waiting to load into truck as soon as I get my transmission back.

Actually breaking 500 to the ground is harder than people make it sound...is also consider a ported intake manifold, that helps egt's tremendously even on stock trucks. People talk about the blue spring upgrade, honestly I would just build my own regulated return setup for not too too much more in retrospect.

Good luck, and welcome...this is a really good resource to learn about your truck.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the site! And congrats on the truck! Sounds to me like you've done your reading. The only thing I would say is once you know your delta's, and if they are fine I would NOT do the radiator flush as stated above. IMO if you do the flush you risk stirin the junk up and then you will clog up the oil cooler.
As far as what ficm tune, I had the atlas 80 and the truck ran like a champ. But the egt's would be a issue when ever I towed so I dialed it back to the atlas 40.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:25 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Congrats on the new to you HD. You didn't say which color, I'm assuming black.

For tunes, check out Chris at Truck Source Diesel in Texas. I'm running his Super Panty Dropper in combination with PHP's Atlas 80 and love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead2012 View Post
I wouldn't do a flush. Every reputable shop I've spoken to about trans rebuilding says no flushes.
My opinion of the above statement is that trans builders don't like flushes because it knocks them out of a potential build. I have been flushing transmissions for nearly 20 years and the only ones that failed soon after a flush were the ones that were acting stupid to start with. I have seen more problems with the drain and fill method than I have a flush. You may want to check into a full flow spin on trans filter from dieselsite.com, I am running one and have had zero problems. At the power level you want, you will likely run into a slippage issue regardless of trans maintenance history. The 5R110 is a good transmission but the 110 part is it's torque rating, 1100 ftlbs, you'll hit or exceed that at your HP goal so plan for an upgrade.

I say def get ELC coolant in it. With the power level you want, be sure you monitor EGT.

Enjoy the truck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-29-2013, 05:30 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

welcome to the site!

yeah youll find all the answers to your questions on this site hands down. we've got a great group of people on this site that know quite a bit.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would reccomend innovative diesel tunes,I run Eric's ECM & FICM tuning and his tuning is on point, thats all i will ever run, I have never ran PHP's tunes so i cant comment on that. For the track i would put a small shot of N20 on it, just enough to clean up ur excess fuel
Old 09-29-2013, 06:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It sounds like you have already done a lot of research by the information in your into post. You are on the right track for sure. I enjoy Daily Driving with Xtreme Street from Eric at Innovative. For Towing your one car trailer I recommend Eric's Aggressive Tow. I had Eric enter the Idle Vane Sweep back into my Xtreme Street Tune. I personally recommend that. I have not run tunes from the other well know programmers, so I can not compare them. I did do lots of research before choosing which programmer and tunes. From the research I felt like I could not go wrong by choosing these tunes. Your goals sound similar to my own. I think you will probably come to the same conclusion about tunes that I did. I would just like to give you some reassurance that you will be happy with Xtreme Street. My first time loading Xtreme Street, I thought it was way too much. I almost went back to stock scared that I was going to blow my motor. It is a very big change from stock. It did not take long to get comfortable with the new power and fall in love. You may want to look into Traction or Ladder Bars eventually. Also a Locker in the rear end. I think these trucks should have them from the factory. The locker was a huge improvement. I hated having to use four wheel drive on wet grass. A back up camera is well worth the investment also. You are going to love your new truck. I know that we are all excited for you!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:36 AM

Thanks for all the info guys! The truck is black, I believe I'm getting a great deal on it and I'm going to enjoy it a lot. Just after two test drives if can't wait to get back behind the wheel. As far as the coolant flush I was going to put the filter on and after the third filter change do a non chemical flush and change to that cat coolant. The deltas are pretty low around 5* or each other. Is the MTW wheel a big enough difference to notice with stock sticks? I haven't run a oasis report yet to see if the trans fluid was changed at all at the dealer, as far as flushing I've never had a problem but this could just be that one time. I was thinking if it were to go I'd get the suncoast kit and have a buddy rebuild it at his trans shop.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:21 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Diesel site makes a billet wheel for your turbo also, and i know that it made impressive HP on the dyno. you may want to look into it.....I dont know what adrian's wheels add to the HP figure. Im sure he can tell you though.

ladder bars/traction bars are a must with our trucks. even the stock tq number makes axlewrap an issue....
I wouldnt go the NOS route. if you tow alot with it, or want to have some help controlling EGTS, go the water meth route. it will increase power but help cool your EGTs in the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.