FICM problems? Upgrades? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM problems? Upgrades?

Hey everyone I'm here but a long time fan.
I got a "New" 04 6.0 and i think I'm having some problems with my FICM. When I start it up in the morning every things working great, no smoke, no long cranking, but after it starts and my SCT livewire is on my voltage is 43-46 (below 50 F outside) I'm thinking its starting to go bad. But it only does that in the morning until it warms up then goes to 47-48. What do you think? And if I'm going to replace it i want to upgrade. Whats the best upgrade for the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the site! The real bang for the buck would be the upgraded Bullet proof diesel ficm. Those are the best that your gonna find. If you drop the $ on one of those you could just about forget you even have a ficm . My suggestion would to just give them a call. Those guys are awesome to deal with and will tell you all about them,these guys have no problem working with you and answering question's!
Old 09-24-2013, 02:39 PM

The second route that you could go is to ficmrepair.com. That's what I did just cause I didn't have the cash for the BPD set up.
But I will say so far Im 100% happy. He threw the atlas 40 tune and I was shocked how much better the start up, the spool up of the turbo and the extra fuel mileage is just a nice bonus! (no joke I figure Im at about 1.5 mpg's better now.)
Old 09-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Serving Our Country!

before you buy a new ficm, check your battery and alt as well. 46 volts is still within spec. if the batteries are more then 4 yrs they should be replaced. i went with ficmrepair.com as well great service, time!
Old 09-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info guys. I've heard a lot of good things about ficmrepair.com and that's the route I would most likely go with. The battery's I'm not sure how old they are just bought the truck a few months ago and the alt is charging at idle 13.66

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Serving Our Country!

alt sounds good, but I would hook up a volt meter and test batteries after they've been sitting for a night. i fried my ficm with week batteries lol but my new ficm is holding up great keep us posted on what you did the ficm removal job only takes about 30 minutes all you need is 10mm, and 8mm and i think like a small 1/4in wrench for one the bracket bolts on front of ficm
Old 09-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah sounds simple enough. I'll call around tomorrow after I get off work and keep y'all posted.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-24-2013, 07:14 PM

If you are gonna call Ed @ ficmrepair have a pencil and paper with you cause that man is a boat load of info! And if he aint too busy...he will share! Don't freak out if you get the answering machine, he will call you back.
This is one of those rare win win situations in life. If you go with BPD, its gonna be a win. If you go with Ed....its gonna be a win!
Old 09-25-2013, 01:38 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedPSD View Post
Hey everyone I'm here but a long time fan.
I got a "New" 04 6.0 and i think I'm having some problems with my FICM. When I start it up in the morning every things working great, no smoke, no long cranking, but after it starts and my SCT livewire is on my voltage is 43-46 (below 50 F outside) I'm thinking its starting to go bad. But it only does that in the morning until it warms up then goes to 47-48. What do you think? And if I'm going to replace it i want to upgrade. Whats the best upgrade for the money?
Any voltage below 45V at ANY time indicates a failed power supply in your FICM. Just because it goes over that warm means nothing. It's toast.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:24 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I also went with ficm repair and it worked out great as and the atlas 40 is great as others said!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ficm, ficm powerstroke 6.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.