Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Learned something new today

1K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  alha 
#1 ·
I was putting together my Wish List this morning of things that I plan on doing to my truck once my Ford ESP has expired, and was having some fun at Bullet Proof Diesels site picking out stuff I'd love to get. I was trying to add their EGR delete to my cart, but the dumb site kept taking me to the page "You really want to put in this new cooler not delete it". I know they made one because I remember seeing it when I put together a similar list just after I bought my Ex in 2011. After a few minutes of fruitless searching, I finally Googled BPD EGR delete, and it came back with a page on their site that still shows it, but it was out of stock when I tried to add it to my cart.

I thought Hmm, strange, so I called them up and asked about availability. He told me that they had actually gotten out of the Delete market about a year and a half ago. I thought that was kind of strange, but he said that some company had gotten into trouble with the feds 6 months or so ago, and they had gotten out of the delete business well before that. So, my only option for buying a BPD one is to find someone who has one they don't need any longer. I suppose it was because they thought that the writing was on the wall for the deletes, that the feds wouldn't appreciate it, but still, it would be nice to have the option. Well, not sure if this is new news to anyone, but there it is. Anyone have any thoughts on the current EGR delete situation?

See less See more
#2 ·
egr deletes are a federal crime.... so alot of companies are getting out of the deletes and just making the bulletproof designs. however.... some companies are selling them as " race only" or "off highway use only" which is perfectly legal but it releases them of liability if you get caught etc...

get the delete and an sct tuner to remove the egr code or just get the bulletproof design and not worry about it and you'll be fine.

Alot of people forget the emissions is a federal regulation and punishable if removing the cat and or egr and using it on public roads, but if they sell it as a "race, off highway use only" its technically legal to sell because you read the warning etc...

#3 ·
Hmm, well, if a person happened to find a cooler, lets say an Intl, part # 1845145C96, brand new for under $200, and happened to know a person who did excellent TIG welding, well then that may also solve the problem of BPD no longer making them. Of course, that would have to be Off Road Use only... Never ever ever for on road use. That would be a crime. :look: The best result I would think would be no more carboning up the EGR valve, but if anyones done it, does it smoke up the exhaust much? Not that I would ever consider doing such a thing, just wondering.

#4 ·
Oh, and another small piece of Joy I discovered today. I was putzing around on Tousleys site, thinking of things that will eventually need replacement on my Ex, and thought that it might not be a bad idea to have a set of motor mounts lying around for maybe 5-7 years from now, to tighten things up a bit when the need arises. Well, I did a search, they came up, so I decided to call them to check availability. Nope, none in stock. Hold on, let me do a locator for you. Umm, nope, none anywhere in the entire country!

I said WTF, this can't be right. This thing is based upon the F250/350SD, how could they not be available? Went on fleabay, nope, none there either. Now I was getting a little unhappy, as this thing is less than 8 years old, how can they be NLA? I thought I'd go right to the source, and called Ford in MI. Spoke to an autotron, she kept telling me that no one there would know anything, and to talk to my local dealer. I told her the dealer couldn't help me, and explained why. She then gave me a number of a company that appearently buys a lot of NOS stuff from them when it is discontinued. I think they were called Green sales or something. Called them, same thing, nope, don't have any.

They suggested going aftermarket, so I looked there, talked to rock auto and a couple others, nope, don't have them. I was out running around this afternoon, so stopped at local ford dealer, we decided to try ordering them for the early 04 F250SD, the part numbers didn't match, but they may be close. I should have them in a few days.

Moral of the story here folks is, when you buy a vehicle that is low production numbers, and is made only for a fairly limited number of years, you can expect it to become very hard to find more uncommon parts for it, even before 10 years. It was in for a warranty repair last week, and they had to fix my rear lock on my back doors. I noticed that they ended up repairing it (which was good), because the parts not available (which wasn't). This isn't looking good long term, and it's a bummer because they don't make anything close to it any longer.

#5 ·
if you run a egr delete all you need is a sct tuner and you don't have to run a horpower tune. you can run a stock tune with the "egr off" option selected and you won't get a check engine light so your good on smog then. if you don't wanna risk it, just get the bulletproof egr design they're a great company! and they have a lifetime warranty on their egr coolers those babies will never clog! and for the cat, i "have a friend" who had his hollowed and a straight pipe welded through, then put it back on, so it looks stock.... but removing the muffler isn't a violation in most states just do some research etc...

#6 ·
I've read that the EGR does carbon up a bit, is this a big enough problem to warrant it being removed? The cat, well, kitty is on a hiatus since I put on the Magnaflow 4" SS turbo back exhaust system. I was assured that it wouldn't drone, but it does a bit. Not enough to drive you nuts, but it can be annoying all the same.

#7 ·
you will have to clean the egr valve once or twice a yr, but the real problems:

1. crazy excess on your engine
2. build up on an already sensitive turbo...
3. if ya kept fold gold, the hot gases flash boil the week ford gold causing the solid silicates to form, it will never clog the bulletproof egr cooler, but can clog an oem oil cooler.

im an idaho resident on active orders in CA so i don't have to smog etc...

i i kinda wish i went with the bulletproof design since im ocd and sometimes dont wanna program just to get the light to turn off haha. but on the flip side that egr valve is a pain in the butt to remove...

just delete and run the none HP tune with egr off and your set.

#8 ·
Ok, so I have a tuner with Vivians tunes on it, but haven't pulled the trigger loading them yet, because of my Ford ESP plan. I understand that after I pull it out, ford shouldn't know about it, but I guess I am worried about something going wrong. It's not a biggie to kill the code so the light doesn't pop, but I need to man up and just load it. I have heard that she makes really good tunes, and even though she made them over a year ago, they should still be fine, I assume.

As to the coolant, I just put in 2 gallons of the gold stuff, and it did have a little left over even after flushing and draining it 4-5 times, so I should be GTG on that front hopefully. I sure don't want to have to pull the EGR and clean it. Also, I just bought a 6.0 intake, after reading the threads about the different intakes, I thought I might try making my own. I do know someone who does good TIG work, so I may just give it a shot. Heck, I'd only be out about $80 plus a bit of beer money, as well as the time to pull the top of the engine off... But at that point, I sure wouldn't have to worry about any EGR delete, would I? hehe

#9 ·
I don't have anything bad to say about vivians tunes, but they just didn't sit right with my truck, i need to call and have the tune checked. it ran amazing! but after few days got some weird electrical codes but truck ran fine still.

if you don't have studs don't run higher horse power tunes its kinda risky.
you mentioned adding more ford gold coolant? did you do a coolant system flush or is the truck using or puking coolant?

#10 ·
No puking, thank god. I had my truck in to the shop a couple weeks ago to have them install my new Fluiddamper, as well as some scheduled maint before I went on a 2900 mile cross country road trip, pulling a 12k loaded trailer. As they had to pull the radiator out anyways, and I wasn't exactly sure when the last time it had been changed, I had them just fill it with straight water, and when I got home I started the drain and fill routine. I didn't go all the way with Restore and all that, because I only had about 5-6 hours till I had to hit the hay before leaving at midnite on the big road trip. I filled it with distilled water, got it hot, made sure the heater was set to hot, opened the valve at the bottom of the rad and drained it all out, then repeated I think 5 times.

By the last time, it was getting pretty clear, though it was dark outside and hard to tell exactly, but I know it didn't stink like antifreeze nearly as much as it did initially, and that was with the shop filling it with water. So, I should be good to go with the antifreeze till next year when I take the time to do the full Restore/Restore+ monty and spend the entire day doing the flush/fill. Hopefully it won't nuke the oil cooler...

I don't have studs yet, I did just buy them but I haven't installed them. There is a thread about installing them one at a time, but again, I have the ESP so I don't want to mess that up, it should last about another 2+ years. I hope her tunes play well with my rig, I was just planning on running the towing one, and I think there was a MPG one too, I'll have to dig up the email on it.

So, you are overall pretty happy with your tunes, other than the strange codes? Good to hear, maybe I will take the leap this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.