Help with exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 07:31 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with exhaust

I just purchased a 2005 excursion. The truck came with a 4" turbo back system that is stainless, no cat, no muffler. It has been cut off after the rear axle.
Is there a way to identify who manufactured this system (additional stampings or etchings)?

It seems to have quite a bit of lag and thought that adding a muffler back in might help with this. Especially with towing.

Any ideas, or do I need to start fresh and purchase a brand new system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would leave it. Diesels are not like gassers to the point of where they need back pressure. Back pressure on diesels are created by th turbo where as gassers require back pressure built up by the exhaust. I would leave the system well enough alone unless you want to step up to a 5inch exhaust. My suggestion for turbo lag while towing would be to get an SCT tuner and a custom tow tune for your truck
Old 09-09-2013, 07:51 PM

Where is the best place to get the sct?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 PM

The other reason I was hoping to put a muffler in is to cut down on the sound. It is starting to scare the neighbor kids.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:02 PM

You could really get any 4" muffler and throw it in the system. Make of the muffler does not have to match the system.... As for an sct I would suggest the livewire if you do not have a monitor already. Alot of site supporting sponsers sell them. I suggest QuickTricksAuto.com, Vivian is a good tuner and you can get a SCT livewire with lifetime tuning to the tune of around 650$ which is good because any further mods can change how the truck runs and adjustments after mods require more money spent by some tuners
Old 09-09-2013, 08:13 PM

I already have an insight CTS. Which now worries me a little based upon your thread in one of the other sections.
I might hold off on the tune right now since I want to take the lift kit off of it do Cary's spring mod.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:22 AM

If the exhaust is cut off just past the rear axle , that is not normal. Some one musty have cut it and took the last part off. On a excursion the exhaust cut off in that location would be very load in th ecab etc.. and not goo. I would see if you could get a shop to weld up a 4" stainless end pipe etc. With the excursions rear fuel tank and your springs the exhaust is tight in the passenger back. Normally the muffler would be before the rear axle. I would use a 4" Stainless straight thru design. You can look at the exhaust and see what type of clamps it has and the shape and may be able to tell the brand. Also what grade the stainless is etc. I like magnaflow, made in usa. If you posted pictures we may be cable to help.
Let us know.
Thanks,
Deo
Old 09-10-2013, 05:24 AM

I have a 05 Excursion with the magna flow 4" Stainless steel turbo back exhaust/muffler & no cat. It sounds great! I have drove once with out a muffler and I though it sounded like crap and annoyingly loud. I would look at the magna flow mufflers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.