Need .02 for turbo / injectors - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Need .02 for turbo / injectors

Need some input before I get Vaudevilled for asking an already asked to death question.

I have read and read to figure what set up to run here and can't get a good grasp on it.. Everything I read is for dependability and towing, and I just want to haul f**king ***. No dyno or track for me.. Just punch it and goooo

I have a 03 and because of the mounting I have to keep with a 03 turbo housing

I *should* be receiving my traction bars on wednesday so atleast I can keep the power to the ground

Thanks for any input to get me going in the right direction

Just a sidenote - If anyone want's to trade my 03 Turbo for a mtw, pmax or equivalent I would throw some cash in with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice looking truck, you have 37" on it? There is a lot of info I would need to know to help you out. If you are running stock 3:73 gears then turbo section is going to be limited.

The people that run tall tires with stock gearing need to know that it is very easy to get under a turbo, and if you chose too big it will drive you crazy. The tuner can't write a tune to increase RPM at say 70 mph on freeway, so with stock gearing 3:73 and 37" tires at 70 mph, RPM's are going to be about 1600-1700. Those RPM's will get you under a turbo really fast( for those don't know getting under turbo means when you at a set rpm cruising and step on it you just blow smoke for a while before the turbo can make boost) When at 70 RPM's I like the truck to be at 2000-2100, and have the turbo boosting at 5-6 psi, that way when you hit it the turbo lites off and bam you are gone, with almost no smoke at all.

Back to your combo I think the best bang for the buck is 175/75 injectors, regulated fuel return, a Powermax with billet wheel, or a stage 1 MTW, and custom tunes to bring it all together. Make sure you have supporting mods intake, exhaust, egr delete, studs, metal pipes. You can get ported intake to help also. I know that this combo minus the ported intake will be good for 540-560 rwhp, Stage 1 or Powermax with the billet wheel. You won't need a fuel system and the tranny should last as long as you don't beat on it too much. The combo will also run pretty good with the taller tires and stock gearing.

Now if you want a cost effective way to go keep the 03 turbo and have the front housing modded to a 63.5mm/88mm billet wheel, and you now have a Powermax.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpowerstroke View Post
Nice looking truck, you have 37" on it? There is a lot of info I would need to know to help you out. If you are running stock 3:73 gears then turbo section is going to be limited.

The people that run tall tires with stock gearing need to know that it is very easy to get under a turbo, and if you chose too big it will drive you crazy. The tuner can't write a tune to increase RPM at say 70 mph on freeway, so with stock gearing 3:73 and 37" tires at 70 mph, RPM's are going to be about 1600-1700. Those RPM's will get you under a turbo really fast( for those don't know getting under turbo means when you at a set rpm cruising and step on it you just blow smoke for a while before the turbo can make boost) When at 70 RPM's I like the truck to be at 2000-2100, and have the turbo boosting at 5-6 psi, that way when you hit it the turbo lites off and bam you are gone, with almost no smoke at all.
Dam that was well said and everything I've learned to be true over the past 2 years working with this man.

My truck with 37's and 3.73's i just slightly depress the brake and the truck down shifts, the hit it and pass anything on the highway...

Denny
Old 09-10-2013, 06:06 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Tagged.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-10-2013, 06:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpowerstroke View Post

Back to your combo I think the best bang for the buck is 175/75 injectors, regulated fuel return, a Powermax with billet wheel, or a stage 1 MTW, and custom tunes to bring it all together. Make sure you have supporting mods intake, exhaust, egr delete, studs, metal pipes. You can get ported intake to help also. I know that this combo minus the ported intake will be good for 540-560 rwhp, Stage 1 or Powermax with the billet wheel. You won't need a fuel system and the tranny should last as long as you don't beat on it too much. The combo will also run pretty good with the taller tires and stock gearing.

Now if you want a cost effective way to go keep the 03 turbo and have the front housing modded to a 63.5mm/88mm billet wheel, and you now have a Powermax.
re-gearing is on my list of things to do but its further down the line.. The psd just isn't my daily driver not to mention I dont think i've ever done over 75mph lol.

I love the help though, I read for two hours and this answered it all. I'm gonna do this build with my after mortgage, after car payments etc etc budget so it might take a lil while but I'll get it done. The plan is to start collecting the parts and do one big re-build with studs and all.

Would you be able to take on a turbo to modify or to swamped?

Last edited by 305f250; 09-10-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I agree with Adrian (madpowerstroke) If you go bigger turbo and injectors without regearing it will bring down the driveablitly of the truck.

Your 03 turbo is very similar to a powermax (same thing on the turbine side) Might be a good idea to get your turbo sent off to be made into a stage 1 or Hybrid. The 03 turbo made into a stage 1 will be the exact same thing as a powermax with a billet wheel... just much cheaper. This also all depends on if your turbo is in good shape. I only recommend people with an 03 10 blade turbo to turn it into a hybrid because the 04+ 13 blade turbos have had mixed results.

Injector/turbo combos

155/stock 155/30 and stage 1 or pmax - really good tow setup and a little faster than stock

175/stock 175/30 stage 1 or pmax ok tow setup and much faster than stock but will run pretty smokey on a race tune

175/75 or bigger and stage 1 or pmax will get pretty hot and pretty smokey, without many other supporting mods your egts will get way up there fast. With a larger intercooler, ported intake, water/meth, and aftermarket air filter this combo works pretty well.

175/75 and a 68mm vgt turbo will run cleaner, cooler, and have more power than a stage 1 or pmax... but you will sacrifice a little bit of driveability.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Premium Member

Im starting to think that the 175/ Stock 175/30 is the way to go with the modded 03 I have with a billet wheel.

Do you know the approx cost to get the turbo machined? I've been recommended to go with barder just because of the turn around time, but would love to use MTW but I can't imagine mine would be priority considering the amount of they're own inventory that has to be made.

Last edited by 305f250; 09-10-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:04 PM

I would suggest based on your input I would go 175/75 injectors and sending your turbo off to Barder turbo service. I sent him my 03 turbo and had it rebuild with a billet wheel within 10 days including shipping. Being you already have an 03 he can modify your housing to fit a 64.7 billet wheel and make it a stage 2 turbo on the fly. There have been some great reviews of his works man ship and turn around time, look him up I don't think you will regret it.

In regards to getting regeared, your tuner can change your shift points so they come on later. For instance I pull my camper on a lot of back roads. I was lugging the engine and getting "under" the turbo and my rpms where at like 1400-1500. I had my tuner change the shift point for overdrive up to 62 mph. Now cruising the back roads I'm in 4 or 5 gear cruising at about 2k rpm and any where from 55-60 mph with plenty of instant power on tap instead of lugging and smoking out the neighbor hood.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanix View Post
I would suggest based on your input I would go 175/75 injectors and sending your turbo off to Barder turbo service. I sent him my 03 turbo and had it rebuild with a billet wheel within 10 days including shipping. Being you already have an 03 he can modify your housing to fit a 64.7 billet wheel and make it a stage 2 turbo on the fly. There have been some great reviews of his works man ship and turn around time, look him up I don't think you will regret it.

In regards to getting regeared, your tuner can change your shift points so they come on later. For instance I pull my camper on a lot of back roads. I was lugging the engine and getting "under" the turbo and my rpms where at like 1400-1500. I had my tuner change the shift point for overdrive up to 62 mph. Now cruising the back roads I'm in 4 or 5 gear cruising at about 2k rpm and any where from 55-60 mph with plenty of instant power on tap instead of lugging and smoking out the neighbor hood.

I hope this helps.
I spoke with him over there, real nice guy. It's between that or a MTW. I just need to find out what the best bang for the buck. If $ becomes tight can I run the modded turbo on stock stick's?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305f250 View Post
I spoke with him over there, real nice guy. It's between that or a MTW. I just need to find out what the best bang for the buck. If $ becomes tight can I run the modded turbo on stock stick's?
You sure can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.