Stage 1 then PowerMax - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stage 1 then PowerMax

Been wanting to do this thread for a while just been very busy.First let me say that this comparison is based off of my needs and what i do with my truck.I dont race will probably never dyno truck and it's not my DD I mostly tow nothing real heavy probably 10k max.So I originally ordered MTW stage 1 after installing it I put about 300 miles on it had a seal leaking and due to my time constraints wasn't able to get it warrentied so I had to order a pmax.Now back to the stage 1. I have to say what an outstanding turbo did everything i hoped for was way quicker than stock, it did have higher cruising egt's emty and towing but what I like the most about it was the ability to build boost while towing in OD at 65 I could build 26psi pulling a good hill and gain speed while towing around 7k egt's would stay around 1000 or so I had all this info wrote down but misplaced it so iam going of memory so forgive me if iam off a little.So now onto the Pmax I installed it right before our 2500mile trip to South Dakota pulling around 7k.Now if you havn't ever been across Montana and Wyoming you can't appreciate the mountian passes that have to be crossed.Anyways onto the performance of the Pmax right out of the gate I could tell the Pmax way more sluggish cruising egt's were about the same.Above 2k the Pmax is a beast but under that it was horrible for towing get down to 55 or 60 mph which thanks to the great state of Oregon is were I do most of my towing at and OD is out of the question egts get high 1350 on any small hill and turbo struggles to build boost 18psi is the highest I saw under 2k rpm.I have to say I hated this turbo so I ordered the Billet wheel from MTW I installed it this past thursday knowing I would be towing trailer to the Oregon coast.All I can say is wow it's like i put a different turbo on boost comes on way quicker I can tow down in the rpm range i need to be in OD. I tried everything I could to get egt's up but could never get them above 1100 and it would build around 22psi in OD towing through the Cascades.All this is with Matt's 8k tow I have to say if anyone decides to go the Pmax route instead of a stage1 definately recomend getting the SP billet wheel from MTW.With all that being said I still think the stage 1 is a better towing turbo but the Pmax with sp billet wheel is right there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

So are you getting rid of the stage one? If so how much?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I sent it back to MTW and got a refund
Old 09-05-2013, 10:42 AM

....Bummer
Old 09-05-2013, 02:08 PM
...swamp trash...

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I too have a Powermax and the MTW billet wheel helped a lot with the lag as well as well as getting the Atlas 40 tune on my FICM.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That was gonna be my next question whats the next best thing to do to get the Pmax to work better at low rpm how much did your egts increase with the ficm tuning, and does it help through the lower rpms or just initial throttle response
Old 09-05-2013, 04:02 PM
...swamp trash...

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not too bad with the Atlas 40, I also tried the 80 and it was very responsive but more smokey and it got hot quick. Don't have any before and after data right now, and I haven't towed with it on this setup yet. Unloaded on flat ground at highway cruising speed at 70 EGTs usually settle about 850 with the Atlas 40. I am also running Tony's tune. I think a good injector setup to pair with a Pmax is 155/30, at least for towing, I see a few guys on here that tow heavy that use that combo, I am kind of leaning towards that for my setup.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:45 PM

What is the reliability difference between a new PMAX, and MTW stage 1?
Old 09-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I did have a issue with the stage 1 but i know Adrian is getting new center housing now so that should help with reliability the Pmax is new but that doesnt mean it wont have problems either I installed one for a guy and the solenoid was bad right out of the box. I wouldn't be afraid to order a stage 1 or Pmax ,think it just depends on what you want in my situation the Pmax wasn't very good until I installed the billet wheel now Iam pleased with the performance
Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 PM

Since you got the Pmax even with the billet wheel you really need to look into a Pmax based tune if you already haven't done so. it does make a big difference on boost and spooling. Also look at a good FICM tune if you haven't. I personally like Eric's Non inductive performance FICM tune over the standard inductive tune and the EGTs are any higher. but yes the stock cast wheel does the Pmax no justice at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.