Ficm tuner with larger injectors? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ficm tuner with larger injectors?

For those who have ran the two did you notice a difference? I have the PHP tuner for stock injectors. I know innovative has a ficm tuner for larger injectors but is my PHP one still worth running if say I had 175-190/75 injectors? Just trying to figure if I'll need to keep it or if in better off selling it later and adding the cash from it to the injector fund. Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have no idea, but if you decide to sell, remember your ol' buddy John. :thumb
Old 09-02-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I have no idea, but if you decide to sell, remember your ol' buddy John. :thumb
Haha you'll be first on the list john!

Old 09-03-2013, 04:00 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've ran both FICM tuners' tunes with my 190/100 injectors, except I was kind of back wards. I had purchased a 58V FICM from Quick Tricks (it only actually puts out 54V, but that's another thing) and I got Innovative's "Mild FICM Tune" and ran that with stock injectors and noticed an improvement with it while using my ECM tune. Then when I got the injectors, it still ran good. Well not being sure I had the right FICM tune in my truck and thinking I could get more with say an Atlas 80 or Hercules 100, I bought the PHP tuner. What I noticed was that neither the Atlas 80 or Hercules 100 gave me anymore power (seat of the pants that is) but they gave significantly higher EGTs. I tried the Economy tune and it felt weaker than my IDP Mild tune and the Atlas 40 was for all intents and purposes the same tune. So I just flashed my truck back to the IDP tune and sold the tuner as I just didn't need it. I would say that if you already have it, just use the Atlas 40 and call it a day. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on FICM tuning. Hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:17 AM

I have a IDP tune in my truck with 190/100s it is a little too smokey for my taste, is there any way to flash it back to stock without taking it to the dealership?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:23 AM

So I have the tuner, so I can run whatever atlas file I need, but from the sounds of it it doesn't help much.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:30 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07stroker View Post
I have a IDP tune in my truck with 190/100s it is a little too smokey for my taste, is there any way to flash it back to stock without taking it to the dealership?
Yea I'm not sure here. Probably so unless you want to pay IDP to rent their tuner to reflash it to stock. Dealership would be cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Hunt View Post
So I have the tuner, so I can run whatever atlas file I need, but from the sounds of it it doesn't help much.
You can run whatever Atlas file you want to. I was just saying that I don't think you will notice much improvement in power (without seeing EGTs start to go up really fast) past the Atlas 40.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:30 AM

You can run whatever Atlas file you want to. I was just saying that I don't think you will notice much improvement in power (without seeing EGTs start to go up really fast) past the Atlas 40.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, if that's the case I think I'd be happier selling it and cutting the cost on injectors a bit.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Premium Member

I'm running a php tuner, the selectable one you can pick econ, atlas 40,80 or Hercules. I have tried em all, but only since the warren 175/30's but still on stock turbo. Adrian is in the process of preparing a madmax to go with it so we'll see how that does... but on stock turbo anything over atlas 40 is really hot and smokey. The 80 and especially the Hercules definetly pull harder, but at the expense of egt's. I can hit 1000* before 15 miles per hour, 1800 takes only seconds. I will say while cruising egt's stay at a reasonable 750-850 on flat ground at 65-70. I don't know if this helps...my presumption would be that any ficm tuning would give you 90% of the benefits of ficm tuning designed specifically for larger injectors. I also have the quick tricks 54 (58) volt ficm. If I could do it over I'd go BPD, because its sort of adjustable, but its not like you'd be changing your ficm voltage every other day or anything. I will say the quick tricks ficm has a life time warranty, which ousted BPD, but God help me if I ever need to warranty mine through Vivian after our little spat a few months back. Sorry to get way off topic, just trying to be clear on my whole setup for comparison purposes.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead2012 View Post
...I also have the quick tricks 54 (58) volt ficm...
Well I guess I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who bought a "58V FICM" and ended up with a 54V one instead. Yea warranty or not, if the BPD unit had been available when I bought mine, I would've gotten that in a heart beat. Oh well. Live and learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.