06 cc sb looking for a starting point - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red face 06 cc sb looking for a starting point

i have read for most of the early morning and have still have some questions that im looking to maybe get some answers for.

to start with diesel hitting 5.00/gal in mass and the family wanting to take a 1200 mile round trip to obx in nc. i have come to relies that i need to open the book and start to mod this truck to gave better mileage then i have been getting. around town back in mass its a 12mile drive to work and 12miles home. just do to the fuel costs i have cut down on the other activities that i have done in the past (quad is collecting dust now). sorry for the story...

in town 13.4 avg and on the trip down here to obx on the hwy the truck was being baby'd to the tune of 19.6 mpg and yes everyone it was done with total gals to total miles not that dumb comp that i didnt get in my truck..

the cruise rpm's were at or around 19-20 hundred @ 65 mph (yes i now that 55-60 will net the best mpg, but the 13hrs trip at 65-70 is do able with out stopping.. anyslower i would have stuffed a sock in my fathers mouth ,lol sorry to the fathers reading this..

ok yet again, i know that i have to upgrade the intake and exhaust and i know that sct makes by far the best programmer and i also know that eric or dj can set me up with a great tune.. but with the truck being stock now and still under warranty would the live wire be the better tuner to purchase, seeing that i be leave it comes with its own gauges and that the X3 i would have to buy and mount gauges..??? i think that is it for now and the very first post to the forum..

thanks for reading,,

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2008, 11:59 PM
one day at a time

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
19.6 isn't bad mileage for the highway... Just my opinion but I'd just skip the livewire and get an Xcal3 with whoevers tunes you like. Get a 4" turbo back pipe and a set of gauges on the pillar. Even with the livewire you have to drill and tap your exhaust manifold for the pyrometer to function. Might as well save yourself a few bucks. I have a quad commander for gauges and as soon as I can swing the purchase I'm going to get a good set of analogs, as digital gauges are more prone to malfunction I'm finding out... Hope this helps, and welcome to the .org!
Old 05-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I agree with shu873 on the Xcal3 over the livewire. Lots of people are not happy with the gauge functionality of the livewire. I run an Edge Insight to monitor things and I am real pleased with it. I have 4 custom screens set up that let me monitor 6 PID's each so I can get a lot of information real quickly. I am still thinking about running seperate gauges to monitor oil pressure, fuel pressure and HPOP pressure. As for tunes DJ or Eric seem like good choices. I run tunes from DJ and am happy with them, great customer service too. A open 4" exhaust and intake will certainly make it sound better but any mileage gains will be small. 19.6 sounds pretty good to me. I've never got that kind of mileage but I couldn't drive 13 hrs at 65 if my life depended on it lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.