New Warren Trans- want to replace trans cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 08:14 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
New Warren Trans- want to replace trans cooler

I have a trans in route to me from warren and I am planning on pulling all hoses off and flushing everything. I am thinking I would like to replace my original trans cooler it has over 200k miles on it. The trans was not flushed or had fluid and filters changed in a long long long time. Its pretty much toast as well. I don't want a chance of getting any metal in the new one, so replacement is what I'm thinking. Im trying to put all my ducks in a row for the swap. What do you guys recommend? I talked with Andy about doing the 08 trans cooler and pan swap,(just briefly) how involved is that compared to just swapping with 6.0 OEM cooler? And if anyone wants to come play when it shows up just gimme a shout. lol And bring a trans jack! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 08:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you have 2 trans coolers FYI

and if your radiator has 200k also I would go for a performance radiator all aluminum since it comes with a new trans cooler inside .

the o9 pan is a great upgrade because of the real filter and I ran a Derale pan

I liked the 7 extra quarts and claimed extra cooling ( not endorsing the cooling claims or benefit of added fluid so no debates)

as far as the 08 air to fluid cooler it's not a common swap and since OEM is fine I would skip it but might be inclined to change it for new
Old 08-31-2013, 08:31 AM
Premium Member

OK so theres a difference in the 08-09 pans? Im looking for someone to hold my hand and walk me through this. Might take you out for dinner too

Cool, I will stick with the 6.0 cooler, but the pan sounds like it could be a possibility, maybe now maybe down the road. Do you have a link of removal for both coolers.

Oh and what radiator do you recommend, I get aluminum, but do you have a specific manufacturer? Is there a trans cooler in the radiator?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:22 PM

For aluminum radiator I would suggest BulletProofDiesel or Mishimoto. I have no experience from either but have looked into it and both are good quality, BPD is cheaper than Mishimoto.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Premium Member

Can some one explain the trans cooler, radiator relationship to me, is there actually a trans cooler in the radiator as well? Feel like a moron but I don't know how else to learn it without ripping it all apart. lol thanks
Old 09-01-2013, 08:58 AM

I'm fairly positive that there is a trans cooler inside the radiator as well such as most cars. This is your primary cooler for the trans, the separate one is a secondary for instances such as heavy load/towing and the trans goes above a certain temp. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that's the way I understand it
Old 09-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFBowman View Post
I'm fairly positive that there is a trans cooler inside the radiator as well such as most cars. This is your primary cooler for the trans, the separate one is a secondary for instances such as heavy load/towing and the trans goes above a certain temp. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that's the way I understand it
These trucks have 2 trans coolers connected in series. The first cooler is located within the radiator and is a fluid-to-fluid heat exchanger. After the trans fluid leaves this first cooler it then goes to the air-to-fluid heat exchanger that is located between the intercooler and the condenser (and directly beneath the BPD air to oil cooler if you have one). The trans has a thermostat on the cooling lines such that below 165f the fluid stays in the pan and is not directed to the coolers.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:10 PM

the BPD radiator is just a Performance radiator brand radiator and it is stated correctly the trans cooler is captured in the bottom tank

I call the pan upgrade an 09 because 08 had 3 different styles of pans and filters
by 09 it was sorted
Old 09-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info. Rotated tires today and did a little snooping while I was under there.

I am gonna snag a BPD radiator I guess a stock replacement for the second cooler? Anyone have an other idea for that one and/or a part number

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-01-2013, 03:14 PM

just give sunrise ford a sponsor on here your vin and you will be guaranteed the proper part at a discount and free ship

then I suggest the Derale pan from Amazon or summit it will fit all years using adapters and grab the filter for a o9
from autozone just make sure it's a fram it will be the same as OEM

then save your existing pan gasket they are the best since they are reusable and have squish stops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.