rookie question....what's next? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 05:13 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rookie question....what's next?

bought the truck with everything in my my sig already on it. i want it to be a daily driver that i can sled with and be competitive. i realize the obvious, like a tuner and dual disk, i just wanna make sure i'm not forgetting anything. sorry if this has been gone over before, but as far as i can tell, the truck is already built. just wanna make sure nothing was overlooked. thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks like a solid setup to me. Only thing I didn't see was a coolant filter. Not a performance mod, but a great addition to help the longevity of your engine. With everything listed it should run pretty good. Next step maybe some larger sticks and air to match.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:29 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow, just re-read everything. Yes you definately need custom tunes, but 485/912 on stock tuning?!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 AM

You forgot one thing and the big one --> Plenty of money for when things break. Sounds like you have a pretty solid truck from all the mods you listed. Good luck in your pulling endeavors.

Oh, one more item you may need is a beater incase you can't fix your truck really fast.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S View Post
Wow, just re-read everything. Yes you definately need custom tunes, but 485/912 on stock tuning?!
LOL!!!!^^^^^^^

How about a digital monitor to along with a SCT tuner.

Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-29-2013, 03:29 PM

If your really wanting to be competitive sled pulling lose the lift and tires. Also traction bars and a rear locker would be a healthy addition.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:31 AM
Premium Member

thanks for all the input guys. the money part isn't so much an issue right now because i'm still in afghan so i got a little bit saved up. as far as the beater goes, i'll have to find a metro or something lol. and the coolant filter is ordered. sorry for another rookie question, but i'm coming over from the cummins 24v world, so i've never had to deal with custom tunes. how does all of that work?
Old 08-30-2013, 03:15 AM
Serving Our Country!

welcome to the org and thanks for your service!

for custom tunes you'll need an sct tuner or a converted edge, typically a sct sf3 or sct x3. next you plug in tune and get your vehicles strategy code, and vin and give that to custom tuners along with all mods, and what your looking for. most time you get an email and just load the tune to your tuner through you computer with a usb cord. ill find the thread about custom tunes and where to get but...

gearhead automotive i believe panty dropper and super panty droper tunes.

eric @ innovative diesel

vivian @ quicktricks

tony wildman tunes (can't remember the shops name)

there are a few more well known custom 6.0 tuners everything from shift points, when overdrive kicks in to when you want your engines an to turn on earlier or later etc...

dont build a sled puller/ daily driver kinda a hard mix to maintain... find a beat down 6.0 and throw some money in it and make that the puller. a lifted truck can do it but lower will be easier on the truck and will lesson the track bar necessity at the get-go.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:21 AM
Premium Member

alright. i plan on going lower in the future, i just gotta check and see if the drive shafts were lengthened or not and i don't think my tires will still clear at full lock or if i'm pulling in a driveway or something. i'll prolly wait till they are worn and have to pick up new ones. and you mentioned shift points and when o/d kicks in, i'm wondering how that will work since i have the zf6? sorry for all the questions, i'm just trying to do this right the first time. wasted way too much money on my last diesel from just throwing parts at it trying to make it fast
Old 08-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Front Driveline is probably lengthened, you can take it off and drive no problem until its shortened. The rear stays the same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.