Just installed a Flo~Pro 4" tubo back exhaust system - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 06:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just installed a Flo~Pro 4" tubo back exhaust system

Yesterday I installed a Flo~Pro 4" turbo back exhaust system (P/N 824) with 4" down pipe, no cat with a muffler and I wanted to jot down some notes for future searches.

1. System was well packed in the box. Nothing was going to move around in that box.

2. Unfortunately a couple of the pipe ends were banged up or crimped and needed reshaping to make them round and not oval. I'm absolutely sure this happened at the factory and not from the shipping company because the box was in perfect shape. Pre-fit all of your pieces BEFORE you start installing them on the truck.

3. Flo~Pro uses band clamps instead of crush clamps. I've never used a band clamp before and I will probably never use another crush clamp ever again. They seal really really really well.

4. I was going to try and save my old exhaust system. I got the cat bolts off but couldn't get the down-pipe out without removing the cross-member. I gave up and got the Milwaukee sawzall out. The old exhaust system was out in 10 minutes after that. I cut the down-pipe just before the cross-member next to the transmission and made another cut just after the rear of the muffler.

5. I have small hands and so getting a hold of the down-pipe to attach it to the turbo wasn't too hard to do but I could see how a second set of hands would have made it much easier. The 4" down-pipe fit perfectly with room to spare. I noticed that they had dimpled the down-pipe just a little right where it goes by the flex joint on the up pipe. If they hadn't it would have been touch city.

6. I have a 2006 F350 Supercab longbed and didn't have to cut to size any of the new pipe. It all fit perfectly.

7. I left everything loose before I started tightening it all up starting at the turbo clamp. I used a small piece of wood on the cross-member as a spacer to keep the down-pipe off the cross-member while I started snugging everything up.

8. Once all tightened up I noticed that it didn't move near as much side to side as the stock exhaust system.

- As for how it sounds, at idle at the tail pipe I do notice that I hear the "whoooosh" of the turbo much more now. On the highway (at 2150 rpm) it's almost as quiet as the stock exhaust but there's a hint of a lower note to it. I do get just a minute amount of drone if I'm cruising 65mph but it's not the type of drone that sets up a standing wave inside your skull and drives you insane. And when you put the pedal to the metal then she comes alive and sounds gooooooood.

- I did lose a little oomph when starting from a complete stop but, once I get some custom SCT tunes I'm hoping that won't be an issue any more.

- My EGT's "seem" to be about 50*-100* lower than what they were before, but I need to drive it more to see if that's really what's happening.

Except for the crimped and out-of-round shaped pipe ends that obviously came from the factory, I'm pretty happy with this exhaust system.

Last edited by Soledad; 08-26-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 06:22 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tks for the write up, I am fixing to buy the same exact exhaust for my truck.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My experience with Flow-Pro though limited has been good as well. The band clamps are a big plus in my book. Having to buy band clamps when I installed my Magnaflow duals added substantially to the cost. I won't use anything but band clamps.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:37 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When I gave the truck it's first test drive with the new exhaust I had the windows rolled up and the A/C on because it was so freaking hot outside. I did stand near the tail pipe to listen to it idle but never rev'd it up or anything.

Well, yesterday, I had the windows down while heading out of town to get to the highway and heard it properly for the first time. Holy guacamole! That jet engine like "whoooosh/whistle" is addicting. It's not like a high pitched whistle that's gonna make your ears bleed, but more like....well.....I really don't know but damn I love it. It's not like any other exhaust sound I've ever heard.

And what's cool is that if you are easy on the pedal then it's not loud at all. But get hard on the pedal and it sounds gooooooood.

Oh, and one other thing to note is that I'm glad I installed this exhaust because I had no idea that mice had made one hell of a nest/bed just underneath the turbo. Lots and lots and LOTS of chewed up paper. The paper was so dark I just never noticed it when changing the filters or putting on my coolant filter. I'm really glad the engine didn't catch on fire.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:13 AM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yeah Mitch helped me install mY Flo-Pro system and I'm Sure he's talking about when we did it.. Its a nice system for sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.