6.0 pushrods - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 06:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 pushrods

Alright ladies and gents... This thread is to distribute some insight to you all as well as ask for your feedback on my thought process.

So theoretically when you get your head resurfaced, they typically pull off several thousands..
This effectively over extends your pushrods by the same length. This can cause the valves to remain open/ not fully seat and cause bent pushrods(I think), or even break rockers

NOW to my question to you all...

The 6.0 pushrods are exactly 9.847
The 6.4 pushrods are exactly 9.800

Should we be installing the 6.4 pushrods upon rebuild to eliminate this issue?
Furthermore, ford has since quit making the 6.0 pushrods. If you bend yours and need replacements, they issue you 6.4 rods.

To recap, upon rebuild of my motor, I suspect it would be intelligent to run 6.4 rods rather than reusing the 6.0 rods.

Thoughts?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 06:36 AM
Premium Member

It wouldn't hurt. I think "need" depends more on how much was taken off your heads. I'm sure you can ask of 0.047 to be taken off so you have a factory match.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

In theory, it would make sense to me to run the 6.4 rods
Old 08-26-2013, 06:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had .06 taken off one head. .10 taken off the other with valves ground down to ensure clearance. Re installed push rods that were in the truck. That was a year ago with zero issues up to this point. And I've made plenty of hard runs with it and pulled some heavy loads.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How much of the difference would be accounted for by the hydraulic lifters.?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:37 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatham036 View Post
...The 6.0 pushrods are exactly 9.847
The 6.4 pushrods are exactly 9.800...
I know my heads only had about .004" removed when they were done so that puts me at a 9.843" pushrod. I would rather let the hydraulic lifters take up the excess valve lash that shortening my pushrods by .043" and making my hydraulic lifters pump up more to get enough lash to fully open my valves.

Just my thought.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
I know my heads only had about .004" removed when they were done so that puts me at a 9.843" pushrod. I would rather let the hydraulic lifters take up the excess valve lash that shortening my pushrods by .043" and making my hydraulic lifters pump up more to get enough lash to fully open my valves.

Just my thought.
Exactly my thought as well. I don't see taking .006 off the heads needing a .047 shorter pushrod. The hydraulic lifter should take care of that without any problem. I also can't see this being a cause of bent pushrods. If you have to take more than .008 off then the valve seat needs to be recessed and the appropriate amount removed from the valve stem. This maintains the installed height of the valve and the geometry of the valvetrain. No need for shorter pushrods.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good question Jay. Have you asked this question to Machine Services? I don't think that you can take enough off of a 6.0 head to make up the difference in push rod length but with a hydraulic lifter, I also don't think that .047" is anything to worry about. The valve will fully close and seal, what you would have is less valve opening. What is the rocker arm ratio on a 6.0? By the time you do the math between the two rods, I think your difference in valve opening will be less than .047". I hate to go the lazy route on an expensive engine but.....if a 6.4 pushrod is all you can get as replacement, then it must work. That being said, I think I would want all the same length push rods. Then there is the custom route.......

Old 08-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargar View Post
Good question Jay. Have you asked this question to Machine Services? I don't think that you can take enough off of a 6.0 head to make up the difference in push rod length but with a hydraulic lifter, I also don't think that .047" is anything to worry about. The valve will fully close and seal, what you would have is less valve opening. What is the rocker arm ratio on a 6.0? By the time you do the math between the two rods, I think your difference in valve opening will be less than .047". I hate to go the lazy route on an expensive engine but.....if a 6.4 pushrod is all you can get as replacement, then it must work. That being said, I think I would want all the same length push rods. Then there is the custom route.......

I am not as familiar with hydraulic lifters as I should be so I am learning as you all talk about their function.

I spoke with Jim Hansen at my machine shop (Engine Services) and he mentioned they will swap the rods out on each 6.0 teardown. He recommended that I go that route.

The set of 6.4 pushrods are $65 from ford. Akins ford also confirmed the part number matched the 6.4 rods

Old 08-26-2013, 08:48 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
FWIW, RCD only sells 6.4/6.0 pushrods that are 9.850" long (as per Jared). My 3/8" smith brothers pushrods are that length as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to windrunner408 For This Useful Post:
Mystic Cobra (09-21-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.