Time to enhance the performance of my 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Time to enhance the performance of my 6.0

After replacing the FICM a couple of months ago I blew the head gaskets. Heading out to do some trail riding/scouting/hunting this weekend and got about 5 miles from my camp spot and truck started blowing white smoke. So much for a fun weekend. After having my truck towed home I have started the process of pulling the cab. I figure that as long as I am putting head gaskets in I should do some tuning. I need help with a few items with my newly acquired project.

First what is the best way to rig the cab to be lifted off from overhead? I have a frontend loader and a bomb truck available to pull it.

Next where is the best place to get a bulletproofing kit and Head gasket set to do a complete top end rebuild?

I am looking at putting in a 4" exhaust system as long as I have it accessible what would be a good system to get for a moderate sound?

What is the best way to bypass the EGR?

I have heard about putting in a oil cooler/filter system what is a good set up?

Should I change the air intake?

What other changes should I make as long as I have it down?

Thanks for the help

DCM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A lot of your questions are open for interpretation, meaning everyone will have their own opinion about which route you should go. One thing I think everyone here will agree on - DO NOT buy a bullet proofing kit with Black Onyx head gaskets, there are several posts here of failures on stock tuned, daily driven trucks. Stick with blue, Ford OEM head gaskets for now.

I personally have the IPR Gen2 EGR delete and found it to be very simple to install and pretty much fail proof. However there are a few people that simply weld freeze plugs into the ends of the stock cooler. Whatever works for you, both do generally the same thing. I also run the MBRP 4" straight pipe exhaust and LOVE it. The grey hair crowd here doesn't like the noise, but its a beautiful sound to me.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:09 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdowell View Post
After replacing the FICM a couple of months ago I blew the head gaskets. Heading out to do some trail riding/scouting/hunting this weekend and got about 5 miles from my camp spot and truck started blowing white smoke. So much for a fun weekend. After having my truck towed home I have started the process of pulling the cab. I figure that as long as I am putting head gaskets in I should do some tuning. I need help with a few items with my newly acquired project.

First what is the best way to rig the cab to be lifted off from overhead? I have a frontend loader and a bomb truck available to pull it.

Next where is the best place to get a bulletproofing kit and Head gasket set to do a complete top end rebuild? I'd recommend BPD, not the cheapest but their customer service is absolutely the best in the business!

I am looking at putting in a 4" exhaust system as long as I have it accessible what would be a good system to get for a moderate sound? MBRP makes great exhaust systems, as long as you get a muffler, its not going to be to loud.

What is the best way to bypass the EGR? Either weld both ends of the egr cooler or get a complete egr delete. I like welding each end of the cooler because you can still pass visual emissions test this way.

I have heard about putting in a oil cooler/filter system what is a good set up?I think your referring to a coolant filter to help prolong the life of your oil cooler. Dieselsite has a great looking coolant filter that's affordable. Make sure you change the coolant to an ELC coolant. Fords gold coolant is junk!

Should I change the air intake?The 6.0 intake is going to be good for 500rwhp while have excellent filtration! I wouldn't Change it unless your getting turbo and injectors

What other changes should I make as long as I have it down?Not sure on your year of truck but there is a few little things that need to be replaced depending on year... Dummy plugs and standpipes, turbo drain tube, STC fitting, HPOP screen (metal), IPR screen, updated fuel spring... There are several other little things but some don't choose to replace them...

Thanks for the help

DCM
This can be very tricky and extremely dangerous. I've done this with two friends and two skid steers though, lol. What I did was once everything was disconnected (of course) I used a jack to raise one side of the cab to allow two 2x6's inbetween the cab and the frame, (only on one side) then I did the same on the other side. Once the cab was raised off the frame by the 2x6's, we used three 4x4's that stretched from one side to the other. We then placed the skid steer bucket against the 4x4's and slowly raised both buckets while slowly creeping towards the cab because as the bucket raises it moves inward of the machine. Once it was clear we rolled the chassis and set the cab on several cinder blocks that had a 4x4 frame built on the cinder blocks. Good luck and be careful, I'm sure there is other ways to do this but that's the we tackled this. Oh, and it was on 99 superduty... But the fundamentals of lifter are the same.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdowell View Post

First what is the best way to rig the cab to be lifted off from overhead? I have a frontend loader and a bomb truck available to pull it. Personally I wouldn't pull the cab without a lift, but that's just me. If you remove the front end and the AC evaporator box from the firewall it is easy enough to do the head gaskets with the cab still on. Not quite as nice as having the cab off but I wouldn't risk damaging the cab.

Next where is the best place to get a bulletproofing kit and Head gasket set to do a complete top end rebuild? I wouldn't necessarily buy a kit but BPD is always good company to do business with. I hear PTP has a nice kit as well but uses their own gaskets or the Black Diamond gaskets. (these are not the same as the Black Onyx and are ok to use)

I am looking at putting in a 4" exhaust system as long as I have it accessible what would be a good system to get for a moderate sound? The Flow-pro is a nice system at a good price, has a 4" downpipe and comes with band clamps instead of those cheap pipe crushing u-bolt clamps. Get rid of the cat and decide muffler or not. Personally I love the sound of a straight piped 6.0.

What is the best way to bypass the EGR? I like the IPR Gen2 egr delete. Very nice unit. Any of the delete kits will work though. Be sure to replace the uppipe too.

I have heard about putting in a oil cooler/filter system what is a good set up?I also think you mean a coolant filter here and there is no other way to go here except for the IPR High Flow filter. It pretty much makes all the rest obsolete.

Should I change the air intake? Not necessarily but I will go against the grain and say go ahead if you have some money left over after everything else. You will here everybody say if you aren't making more than 500hp you don't need too. A S&B or AFE will do a good job filtering and allow easier and more airflow to the engine. I run an Airaid with a prefilter.

What other changes should I make as long as I have it down?As said above replace the stand pipes and dummy plugs with the updated ones. Depending on year replace the STC fitting.the blue spring update for the FPR is popular but if you are thinking about a RR this would be the time to get the fitting in the back of the heads. Personally I think the OEM FPR is a POS and would do an RR rather than a blue spring. More expensive but gives you much better control over fuel pressure and often relieves a lot of problems with fuel delivery/pressure that a blue spring doesn't fix.

Thanks for the help

DCM
You're welcome. Good luck with the project.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for all the help. I am working on a 2004 f350 I primarily use the truck for hauling horsees and some off road use. I like the idea of the 4x4 s under the cab, i think I can use a spreader over the top and be able to lift it from overhead. I am thinking about getting a tuner for the truck as well any suggestions for a good one. I know everyone will have their own opinion, just looking for some suggestions to start with.

I am also looking for a gauge set for the EGT, trans temp and bost any suggestion?

Thanks again
Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.