Another Exhaust Thread - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 07:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another Exhaust Thread

I have a studded tuned (Mostly run Erics Street Tune) 2005 and I am considering an exhaust. I tow about 10k. I am only concerned about usable towing power, EGT and MPG. I have searched a lot and it seems that some people don't see much improvement in any of these categories. Can everyone with 4" exhausts and tuners tell me what kind of differences they saw and what downpipe they used? I would probably run a muffler but no cat, I don't want a lot more noise.

THanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 05:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I run a t409 stainless from silverline. 3.5 dp with muffled 4" back

there was a slight increase in fuel economy but the ability to get EGTs out of the motor with greater ease is the nice part about an aftermarket exhaust.

you will not see any lower EGT numbers because the EGTs should be measured in the exhaust manifold. If anything (just speculation), you may see the EGTs receed at a quicker rate.

I installed my turbo back system the first week of owning the truck. I did not have adequate time to data log the before and after to quantify any values.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:43 AM

Turbo back MBRP with a muffler usually sounds good if the exhaust dumps out behind the rear axle. My buddy's dumps before on the side and it is a straight pipe, and it is obnoxiously loud. Straight pipe with a full MBRP exhaust would be a good sound for your 6.0. Note the whistle from that exhaust is awesome
Old 08-26-2013, 06:27 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just installed a Flo~Pro 4" turbo back yesterday morning. It has the 4" down pipe, no cat but comes with a muffler.

So far with what little driving I've done (40 mile round trip to Home Depot) I noticed that I did lose just a bit of bottom end power but not so much as to make me regret installing the exhaust system. Interestingly I did notice that it seems to pull just a smidge harder in the mid-range to upper RPM's.

As for EGT's I need to do some more testing. There is a hill here where I always hit between 800*-900* unloaded without the A/C on and running the PHP Atlas-40 FICM tune. Yesterday it was really hot out and was running the A/C full blast and was seeing EGT's on that hill that were just over 800*. I want to retest it without the A/C a couple of times to see if my EGT's are lower. But so far I'd say I "might" be seeing lower EGT's of around 50* - 100*.

It's to early to tell if I'll see any change in MPG although I suspect I won't. I didn't install it for MPG anyway. I installed it for the sound and potentially lower EGT's.

And this system is pretty quiet at idle (you hear the whoosh of the turbo more but not so much the whistle) and on the highway. But once you put your foot into it hard then it has a really nice sound to it.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You install an exhaust system for the sound. If you remove the cat you will see lower back pressure. Any performance gain or loss is imperceptable. IMO those thinking they can feel any difference it's all in their head. It would have to make a substantial power difference for a butt dyno to really tell and no exhaust is going to give you that. The Flow-Pro is a nice system for a decent price and comes with a 4" downpipe and band clamps instead of the pipe crushing u-bolt clamps the rest come with.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like it doesn't do a lot for performance, maybe a small EGT improvement. Like I said I am not too worried about sound, a little cooler sounding would be ok but I don't want it too loud. I wonder if I would be ahead with just a cat delete with my stock pipe or is that a waste of money as well...? At least its cheaper....
Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 AM

As said before... it's really to improve the sound but removing the cat MBRP and a turbo back 4" kit will lower back pressure and give you a perception of increase in power. May even lower exhaust temp as the hot air moves with less restrictions..

Lower anything other than Tq. and Hp is a good thing.

D
Old 08-26-2013, 07:32 AM

Lost the Kitty, for sure just keep it close by and get a MBRP test pipe or have a local exhaust shop make you a removable pipe.

D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.