Possibly turbo up pipe leak? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possibly turbo up pipe leak?

Sooo I put my new turbo on for my 175's and I have high egt's and can't build more then 18lbs of boost.

I have new tunes from Eric written for my combo. I can push 1200 on a moderate hill barely on the throttle.

It seems the old turbo ran better and made more boost.

Sooo I've been looking but can't see any soot on the firewall.

Should I pull the clamp and loosen the manifold bolts for te up pipes and try again?

Or is that just nature of the beast?

I cannot even pull my trailer right now. Good thig I have the 7.3 as a back up..

I'm gonna give Ted a call tmrw and fix my x tune and ask him what's going on.

If its my fault with not lining it up right ill fix that tonight.

It's not that hard to do .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 02:56 PM

Absolute up pipe leak.

Best to loosen the up pipe manifold bolts and make 100% sure the flange fits inside and tight to the turbo.

To check for a leak let it get dark and with a high powered flashlight climb above the engine and shine on the turbo, then from below on both sides of the engine, exhaust smoke shows up great in light.

Once you have it on correctly, you'll know instantly.

The Turbo to up pipe v-clamp DOESN'T pull the pipes flanges together.

Denny
Old 08-25-2013, 03:08 PM

Good deal ill do that tonight once the truck cools off. I did not loosen the up pipes from the manifolds when I installed it. Last time I swapped a turbo it was at a shop for studs and had them do it.

If I get it right ill hitch it to my trailer tonight for tmrw I'm gonna drag the gooseneck to work to piddle on making a toolbox to mount on the top deck.

I'm surprise I can't hear it.

That's my fault rushing it

Old 08-25-2013, 03:29 PM

It's a smokey dude too

Old 08-25-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNFireman View Post
It's a smokey dude too

Knot 4 Long!

D
Old 08-25-2013, 06:18 PM

Well I took 30 min under and over the truck wearing fire fighting gloves so I didn't get burned.

But I was able to pop the clamp loose and see a gap. Loosene the bolts at the manifold and lined everything up. Tightened it back down an my egt's dropped 300 degrees haha cruising now at 2-4 lbs of boost I'm high 500's-750 depending on grade empty.

I did hook up my trailer and it's about 4500-5000 empty an went for a spin. Saw 28lbs of boost and 1250 pulling a steep hill at 65mph. Pulls in tow tune lil it moved itself in a race tune on stock injectors. Very impressed actually gonna have my tow tune backed down a lil bit to keep the egt's a little more in check. If that doesn't help ill do a gogo intake manifold and water injection.

Need to get my new fan clutch on. ECT is around 198 flat ground towing empty and goes up to 210 or so climbing hills. Freaks me out towing an empty trailer. Maybe my radiator needs to be cleaned too.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:44 PM

It's also a matter or learning both with the tranny and the engine so give it a few days it will come around.

Glad to hear you're a Turbo Pro now.....

Denny
Old 08-26-2013, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNFireman View Post
Well I took 30 min under and over the truck wearing fire fighting gloves so I didn't get burned.

But I was able to pop the clamp loose and see a gap. Loosene the bolts at the manifold and lined everything up. Tightened it back down an my egt's dropped 300 degrees haha cruising now at 2-4 lbs of boost I'm high 500's-750 depending on grade empty.

I did hook up my trailer and it's about 4500-5000 empty an went for a spin. Saw 28lbs of boost and 1250 pulling a steep hill at 65mph. Pulls in tow tune lil it moved itself in a race tune on stock injectors. Very impressed actually gonna have my tow tune backed down a lil bit to keep the egt's a little more in check. If that doesn't help ill do a gogo intake manifold and water injection.

Need to get my new fan clutch on. ECT is around 198 flat ground towing empty and goes up to 210 or so climbing hills. Freaks me out towing an empty trailer. Maybe my radiator needs to be cleaned too.

Doug Gilbert aka Gogo Diesel is a thief and a liar and generally a human fail. He stole my Intake and never did any work on it lied to me every time I talked with him. After 6 mos I had to buy another intake and port it myself. Do business with him at your own risk. There's a good reason so many vendors have quit dealing with him and a number are suing him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.