66 MadMax - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 11:31 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
66 MadMax

Well as many of you know, Adrian sent me a 66 MadMax to do some initial testing so we could hopefully see whether or not this turbo would be worth going further with the development to see if it could possibly be used with medium sized injectors.
As of right now, this is just an "initial impressions" sort of thread. I've only been able to get about 30 miles on the turbo so far, and the local traffic situation didn't support doing anything crazy today, but I can say without any doubt that this thing is definitely flowing more air and making more power than either the Hybrid or Stage 1 turbos do. It's been a long time since I've had a Stage 3 on my truck but the way this thing drives reminds me very much of what I remember the Stage 3 being like.
Based off of MAF readings (boost for boost) on my CTS, this turbo is flowing an easy 20% more air than I was seeing with the Stage 1, which felt stronger on my truck than the Hybrid did. This turbo does spool ever so slightly slower than the Stage 1 did (on a stock turbo tune), but it isn't anything to get shook up over. I currently don't have any special tunes written for this turbo yet so I don't think it is a good idea to really talk about the spool up. I do know that I require about 2-3% less pedal to cruise down the hwy. Cruising boost at 70 mph is 4-5 psi and cruising EGTs are about 770-800F (outside air temp was about 85F). It's tough to tell as there just isn't a flat stretch of hwy here. It's like either the road is going up hill or down hill every where I go. On some big hills holding 75 mph, it was tough for the EGTs to hit 1000F. Most of the time, when the EGT probe got to the 1000F mark, it was at the top of the hill. Getting into the throttle some, EGTs start leveling off really well at about 1200F (not bad IMO for a full fueled race tune on 190/100s).
Ok well enough yhapping, I know that I don't really have a lot of information here, but I can definitely say that this turbo has some serious potential and I'm excited to see how this thing does with some 175/75s. On a side note, I was extremely surprised how smooth and quiet this turbo was. It does whistle but not nearly as much as I was expecting it to be. It has a nice soft whistle to it and the power comes on really nice and when it does, the whistle goes away. It'll be curious to see how this thing does as it is ran on more trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 12:03 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Very cool. Are you going to get a tune for that particular turbo soon?
Old 08-24-2013, 12:08 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

I forgot to add that there is one thing I found most interesting with this turbo. The compressor wheel is VERY impressive for what it is. The size of 66x90 doesn't really do it justice. The center hub is of a SUPER slim nose design. It has a slimmer hub/nose than a billet stock replacement wheel does. This in turn yields some HUGE blade surface area. The blade surface area of this wheel is every bit as much as a GT4094 wheel, yet the overall size is kept smaller, which should in turn allow this wheel to be spun faster than a GT4094 wheel can easier. Again this is all theory, but like I said above, according to my MAF readings, this thing is definitely moving more air than the other turbos I've data logged so far.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:10 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake18 View Post
Very cool. Are you going to get a tune for that particular turbo soon?
Yep. I've got an email out to Chris at TSD for a revision. Gonna start with a regular Powermax tune (with my 190/100 fueling parameters) with some specific transmission shifting and see how that does.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:17 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Yep. I've got an email out to Chris at TSD for a revision. Gonna start with a regular Powermax tune (with my 190/100 fueling parameters) with some specific transmission shifting and see how that does.
Good stuff. Looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I cant remember when I talked with Adrian but is there anything done to the turbine side? that's all im concerned about and again I cant remember what he said about the turbine side
Old 08-24-2013, 12:49 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Nope. Completely stock Powermax turbine end. No tweaks at all.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Nope. Completely stock Powermax turbine end. No tweaks at all.
That's sort of true, but may not stay that way at all. Have a lot of testing to finalize. The compressor wheel is the key to this turbo but measurements are 66mm/90mm there about and the wheel is a slim line design, the 4094va cast wheel has about same surface area, some of billets are still larger.

I will keep the compressor wheel like it is now but the turbine will be played with until I get the exact combination I need.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpowerstroke View Post
That's sort of true, but may not stay that way at all. Have a lot of testing to finalize. The compressor wheel is the key to this turbo but measurements are 66mm/90mm there about and the wheel is a slim line design, the 4094va cast wheel has about same surface area, some of billets are still larger.

I will keep the compressor wheel like it is now but the turbine will be played with until I get the exact combination I need.
you know im all about changing the turbine side and testing haha! give me a shout when ya can!
Old 08-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Motor Head.

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
watching this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.