Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Help with Which tune to run

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ktyamaha36 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have only tried 2 different Tuners since having my truck. IDP Agg street, and Vivians Loony. Never could get the Loony right, kept throwing the Check engine light so I gave up and reloaded the Agg street. Truck was lifted 6" on 35's at the time. I don't like how the current tune wont lock the TC up until over 55MPH in 5th gear. I also have to back out of the throttle for a couple seconds and then it will lock in. Once its locked in I can drive 50mph just fine, and not feel like the thing is slipping the entire time. My truck sits more than I drive it. And when I do drive it its around town (35-50MPH avg) Stop and go. Does anyone make a tune that can lock the TC 3-5 gear? Or any suggestions as to what I should give a try? Im pretty open to try anything. I just don't want to smoke the tranny running an improper tune for the size tires I have on the truck.

I just raised the truck and put a set of 38's on it...Still running the agg street. I know the Speedo is WAY off now (Can a tuner fix this??), which is also throwing the shifts out of wack.

I have been reading alot about Tony Wildmans tunes, Which tune would you guys recommend me trying of his? Im not looking for anything wild, as Im not studded as of yet. Im looking for some extra power, nice firm shifts, and to actually have the TC lock up without having to drive 60+mph and let out of the throttle to get it to lock in.

Any suggestions on what I should try?

Again the truck isnt a DD. Its more of a weekend warrior !:ford:

See less See more
#2 ·
Just my 2 cents I would calculate your actual tire rotations per mile and make sure that is what is set when loading a tune.

#3 ·
Your tuner should be able to adjust when your torque converter locks up... for example mine was locking up too early, like 45mph and lugging the motor... I ask him to raise it up and now it locks around 55mph which is better for my style of driving.

First for your bigger tires you need to go into the sct tuner and adjust for larger tire size, it should adjust/help/change your shift patterns to adjust for the larger tires.

This should help a little
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/158379-tire-revs-per-mile.html

You might try those before you go switching tunes because you could run into the same problem.

#4 ·
And any of the tuners can lock the TC 3-5 if you ask them to. With 38's you should probably be running 4.30s or 4.56s. That's a lot of tire for the stock 3.73's and a lot of extra work for the trans. With your around town driving the gear change would improve your fuel mileage too.

#5 ·
With 38's you should probably be running 4.30s or 4.56s. That's a lot of tire for the stock 3.73's and a lot of extra work for the trans. With your around town driving the gear change would improve your fuel mileage too.
^^^ Agreed. Change your gears out for a 4.56 and it will feel like a different truck.

#6 ·
Gears are on the "todo" list . My last superduty was on 40"s and I swore I wouldn't go bigger than 35"s with this truck...well one thing led to another and I got a deal I couldn't pass up on the 38"s. LOL

I think Im going to throw a set of 22x14 with 37s in the near future...

I will plug in the SCT tomorrow and make some tire size adjustments and see if that helps any. I still want to give another tuner a try just for kicks anyways.

I got home from work today and my new S&B filter was sitting on my door step. Just got it installed and went for a ride. I feel like the turbo spooled slightly quicker. And I Love the extra whistle from the tubo!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.