why not stud one at a time? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 12:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
why not stud one at a time?

Ok so I have heard don't do it but I hsvent seen a reason why if there isn't a current problem why you can do one at a time just hoping for some logic vs just don't do it haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 01:24 AM
Serving Our Country!

just read a thread about doing 1 stud at a time the guy would remove one and torq the first sequence i believe 65 ftlbs and then remove and replace 2nd and do torq at 65 then once all were done on each side he did the continued torq sequence on each one. then moved on to the next head.

he said it was called hot potting or something where you leave oem studs in one at a time to prevent headgasket from lifting and you will need to dent up fire wall and cut the top of a stuff of while using something to hold bottom to remove it.

Studs one at a time, easier than I thought....

here it is.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:06 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Dont do it. You will end up re doing it the proper way shortly after

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-22-2013, 02:28 AM
Premium Member

...even if it worked half the problem lies in the cylinder head. I know my heads were out 0.009" so even overtorqued studs wouldn't pull that together for long.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:38 AM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Yeah nothing should be over torqued. By over torquing you make the bolt (or in this case the stud) work outside of its working limits.. Thus leading to improper clamping and reduced tension etc.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:02 AM
Premium Member

I haven't read about anybody having head gasket issues after doing studs one at a time. I wouldn't recommend torquing to 65 and then after each is in place working them up to full torque. The heads/gaskets are already set, pull one out and go full torque on the stud right away. It couldn't hurt to go back through after the last stud is in and retorque them all in sequence.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Your head gaskets may be in the process of failing and you not know it, the truck have no symptoms yet. Studs may hold off a little longer or letting the head back of to 65psi might finish the job. If you recently had head gaskets installed then maybe I'd go for it but if you have a lot of miles on them I wouldn't do it without new gaskets. If you have to do it torque the bolt all the way as you replace each one as Cliff says above.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 AM

I guess its a question of time and money and want to and availablity of a good shop that can grind the heads. I did the 1 at a time and have yet to have any issues. I had the money to do the job, but the nearest place I could take the heads to is a 2 hour drive. So I tossed the dice and so far so good.
And just because you pull the head and all looks good and you do run what ever head gasket that everybody has decided is the "best of all time,at this time" is dosnt mean that they wont blow again.
The only down side is now I wish I could run a good tune. And Im nervous about throwin the dice again.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:58 AM

Unless you know the clamping force of each original bolt and install each stud to that amount, it's a crap shoot. By loosening the bolts you are doing the exact same thing as what happens when overheating the engine, sometimes a re-torque works and sometimes it doesn't.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I did the 1 for 1 because i couldn't justify pulling the heads at 20k truck now has 55k on it with no problems and it has been tuned the whole time.What i did is took a dial torque wrench and loosened one bolt it took 165fts so that is what i used for my initial torque after replacing all the bolts then I did my final torque.As far as the proper way thats your decision I have done several head stud jobs the right way if thats what you want to call it its not to difficult.It's a roll of the dice but i was willing to try it and it has worked so far.Cost me the price of the studs and some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.