Torque app + ELM32 OBDII Bluetooth adapter Review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 03:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Torque app + ELM32 OBDII Bluetooth adapter Review

I know I'm new here, but I wanted to share a bit of my experience with these two devices.
First is the ELM32 OBDII Adapter. This little gem passes the OBDII signals through a bluetooth connection. So it wirelessly streams OBDII info to a device that can read it. It costs about $12 shipped on eBay and other various websites and is easy to find via google. You can even find them on Craigslist used.. Since there are no moving parts they probably don't burn out. My only concern is the connection stays open on the device at all times.. I believe this is true even when the truck is turned off. I will confirm this suspicion today. If that's the case then it's not a big deal to simply unplug it when you're done.. It's small and fits anywhere, so just pull it and slap it into a cupholder or something and you should be good to go.

Next on the list is the Torque app. It's $5.00 on the google play store (doesn't exist for Apple people)
This app allows for connecting to a BlueTooth OBDII adapter (like the aforementioned one). This app appears to be amazing in what kind of info it can provide. Basically, if there's a sensor for it in your truck it will provide you the info, and .. if there isn't an available gauge for that sensor you can make one (provided you know the PID information of the sensor)..
It does datalogging and allows you to watch as many gauges as you'd like. It also has multiple pages available, just swipe as you would on your android home page. I, personally, plan to buy a cheap $80.00 or less tablet a have that as a permanent device that sits in the truck and sync's to the OBDII adapter. To me, this thing is limitless. The next thing would be to see if you can actually open your ECU and reprogram it with new info.

So, as an example the 3000gt guys have a program called "Chrome" that allows us to edit our ECU's params. I put larger injectors in my car and just went in there, did a hex conversion of 550 and viola my car was running as if it came with 550cc injectors vs the stock 360cc injectors. All of the other info in the ECU was still working as normal. The beauty of this kind of functionality is that your Piggyback system isn't fighting the ECU settings. (ECU timing is generally very complicated and makes turbo tuning a lot more difficult).. Now you have no piggyback tuner.. Your tuner IS your ecu..

Maybe we can get some super smart folks looking into this option for us..

Sorry for the side rant..

Here's a photo of my truck at idle after 20 - 30 minutes of driving (city)
Attached Thumbnails
Torque app + ELM32 OBDII Bluetooth adapter Review-screenshot.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 05:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've been on vacation. But I've been in contact a bit with the app creator to see if he/someone is able program a plugin for a buzz test and CCT.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-19-2013, 05:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
I've been on vacation. But I've been in contact a bit with the app creator to see if he/someone is able program a plugin for a buzz test and CCT.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I've seen a few people ask for Delta alarms so it can start sending a warning if your temps are too far apart.... That would be great also..
Old 09-26-2013, 02:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

2013 new model ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 CAN-BUS Scanner Tool with Switch Work with Android

2013 new model ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 CAN-BUS Scanner Tool with Switch Work with Android - US$14.99

OBD SCAN is the newly developed wireless scan tool. It supports all OBD-II protocols

0. Automatic

1. SAE J1850 PWM(41. 6Kbaud)

2. SAE J1850 VPW(10. 4Kbaud)

3. ISO9141-2(5 baud init,10. 4Kbaud)

4. ISO14230-4 KWP(5 baud init,10. 4 Kbaud)

5. ISO14230-4 KWP(fast init,10. 4 Kbaud)

6. ISO15765-4 CAN(11bit ID,500 Kbaud)

7. ISO15765-4 CAN(29bit ID,500 Kbaud)

8. ISO15765-4 CAN(11bit ID,250 Kbaud)

9. ISO15765-4 CAN(29bit ID,250 Kbaud)

A. SAE J1939 CAN(29bit ID,250*Kbaud)

B. USER1 CAN(11*bit ID,125*Kbaud)

C. USER2 CAN(11*bit ID,50*kbaud)

*default settings(user adjustable)

1. Works with all OBD-II compliant vehicles

2. Wireless (Bluetooth) 5~10 meter

3. Software included for Palm, PDA,Mobile

4. Software included for Windows PC

5. Software included for Windows Smartphone

Functions:

1. Read diagnostic trouble codes, both generic and manufacturer-specific, and display their meaning (over 3000 generic code definitions in the database).

2. Clear trouble codes and turn off the MIL ("Check Engine" light)

3. Display current sensor data, including:

4. Engine RPM

5. Calculated Load Value

6. Coolant Temperature

7. Fuel System Status

8. Vehicle Speed

9. Short Term Fuel Trim

10. Long Term Fuel Trim

11. Intake Manifold Pressure

12. Timing Advance

13. Intake Air Temperature

14. Air Flow Rate

15. Absolute Throttle Position

16. Oxygen sensor voltages/associated short term fuel trims

17. Fuel System status

18. Fuel Pressure

19. Many others. . .

Output Protocol: RS232 to bluetooth

Frequancy: 38400

Voltage: 12V

Current: 45mA

Bluetooth: 10m

Switch: YES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.