need some friendly advice on possible upgrades - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need some friendly advice on possible upgrades

hey guys, needing a little advice on some of the upgrades i am planning on doing to my truck, 2005 F250 6.0 FX4, whether it is worth it to do them or if i should just save the money and trade it in. i'm currently deployed but when i get back and am planning of doing the following upgrades:

ARP headstuds/factory headgaskets, PRICE apx $450

BPD or Sinister EGR delete kit, PRICE $320-$350

Sinister Coolant filter kit, PRICE apx $150

Sinister external oil filter kit, PRICE apx $390

aside from those i am planning on doing an exhaust, intake, SCT tuner, leveling kit, and wheels and tires, but those might have to wait for awhile to save some money for now, i also found out i might have to replace 4 or more of the injectors which will be close to $1000. so total im looking at around $3000 for parts, my only lucky break is that my buddy that works at the dealership said he can probably get everything installed covered under my warranty, if that falls through im going to be spending a lot more than $3000...

But if that all works out i shouldnt have a problem doing the upgrades but if i have to spend too much more than the $3000 on the parts i might have to end up selling or trading my truck in for something else. just wanting to know what yall think and if it would be worth it to do those upgrades or if i would be better off trading the truck in, and what do yall think is the proper price cutoff that i should take into account? any friendly advice would greatly be appriciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Emergency Services

How many miles on it? How long do you plan on keeping it, if you put some bucks into it?
Old 08-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

it has right around 125k to 130k miles, and i would really like to keep it til it dies but i dont know if i would be better off spending more than 3k in upgrades or taking that money and using it as a down payment on a better truck.

the worst part is the previous owner of the truck already had the egr replaced twice and the heads replaced once and every one of the injectors replaced at least once before... and he never just did the upgrades at the time which should have been a red flag for me and i should have searched for a bulletproof one from the get go, but now im having to decide whether its worth bulletproofing it now or just getting me a different vehicle that will have less issues i have to deal with.

hoping to get some advice from guys that have dealt with this a little longer than i have, haha

Last edited by WALKERTX2008; 08-16-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Get an IPR coolant filter. It obsoletes every other coolant filter out there.
Head studs alone will cost you $425 so Figure another $150-$200 for head gaskets. I like the IPR Gen2 EGR Delete better than the rest but any of them will work. Add a fresh oil cooler and a coolant flush and change to ELC.

You'll be hard pressed to find a "better" truck than a well sorted 6.0.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:15 AM
Premium Member

is the ipr cooler kinda the same as the sinister kit just a better brand? and the head gaskets are parts of the head stud work that my buddy is going to get covered under my warranty so all the factory parts that are getting replaces, like the head gaskets and a new oil cooler and hpop screen are all going to be covered, the only reason i am buying the arps is to replace the factory bolts but all the other install parts are going to get covered under my warranty.

so your saying it would be better to just do the upgrades to the 6.0 and spend the little extra and not trade it in cause once the upgrades are done its better then another truck i could buy?
Old 08-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

deciding to go with the ipr kit for my egr delete, will save me a little money, thanks for the advice guys, and the ipr kit looks awesome, a much better design. im really hoping that my injectors dont need replaced cause that is what is really going to strap me for cash now especially since i am buying a parts car for my supra to work on. if any body has a set of arp head studs they are looking to sell at a good price that would be awesome! thanks again guys
Old 08-23-2013, 01:35 AM
Premium Member

I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this, but grab an Edge Insight (or your favorite monitor) and make sure everything is operating as it should.

There are a few things that could go bad leading to failed injectors, all of which you have pretty good control over....

Old dirty oil that has had its viscosity broken down will kill them. You can do your research on what type of oil you run, I prefer Rotella T5, but whatever you run make sure it's changed at propper intervals. An oil bypass will certainly help, but unless the Sinister kit you're looking at comes with an Amsoil filter, keep looking. Nuc Motorsports can hook you up with oil and coolant filtration.

Low fuel pressure and/or dirty fuel will kill injectors fairly well. Motorcraft or Racor filters only and make sure you are holding at least 45 PSI on the fuel pressure.

Low voltage from the Fuel Injector Control Module is the other thing that will kill injectors. Make sure your batteries are matched and good. Monitor your FICM voltage at startup, normal driving and WOT and make sure it's staying above 47.5 volts. If it's not you will see injector replacement in your near future.

Beyond that, instead of replacing a handfull of injectors, you have the option of pulling them all and having them sent out for a rebuild. That's much less money, but a lot more down time. You decide the trade off. If you send them out you can get them made into a bigger injector, may be the way to go if you've got performance on your mind. And maybe you don't even have bad injectors... it could just be stiction. A couple cans of Rev-X could save you a grand. You'd be surprized how often that happens.

Me personally, I love my truck and the 6.0L is a great engine. If you like your truck, keep it. I wouldn't think twice about it.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:09 AM
Premium Member

ok cool, and i think the sinister kit comes with a wix filter, but im sure getting the amsoil filter as a replacement wouldnt be too hard

and i actually just got two brand new motorcraft batteries on the truck when i bought it cause the batteries that were in it were bad, also a brand new alternator when i replaced the batteries.

i dont have a monitor but i do have a triple a pillar with three gauges, i believe its boost, volts, and exhaust temp, but getting a monitor to help wont hurt as long as it is compatible with the SCT tuner.

and i wish i could send them off for a rebuild but my truck is my daily driver so i can really afford to have it down for a long time unless i can get my other car running nice enough to take up the slack.

thanks for the advice ill take a look at those other places for parts as well, especially if they are a better part and i can get a better price
Old 08-23-2013, 04:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

call patrick at warren diesel, have him build you a set of 155 Stock Nozz. and send them to you, once the heads are out have your mechanic put in the new injectors and send Patrick back you old ones. A little coordinate ahead of time can go along way with warren having your parts ready when you are. A full set should run you 700 - 800.
Ebay has ARP's all day long for 425.00

Get a scanguage II for 129.00

FICM repair . com for less than 100

Once you've done these things you'll have a truck that will run circles around anything you can buy for under $20K and you won't know the history - a lot of people lie ya no... and best part NO monthly payments.

You don't need and air intake the stock is good to 500 HP.

D
Old 08-23-2013, 05:33 AM
Premium Member

does he charge core fees for the injectors? cause that is what is killing me, plus i have projects i have to take care of on my house and i have monthly payments lol im only 23 hahaha

and the scangauge II is a monitor that works with the SCT? but gives me all the same read outs as like and edge or something?

and i dont think my ficm is bad but ill have my buddy at the dealership test it for me to see when i take the truck for the other stuff.

and im probably going to have to hold off on the intake and exhaust for awhile just to save money to get everything else done that i need done.

thanks for the help bro ill get in contact with him as soon as i can and see if we can work something out, and your saying that i can get all 8 injectors for less than 1k? cause i havent even been able to find rebuilt ones for less than 1000... that would be awesome and save me a lot of heartache by having to replace just 4 stock injectors with 4 other stock injectors you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.