Need input on HG/Heads job! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 05:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need input on HG/Heads job!

Well guys, as 1puglife on youtube would say, my truck is dinked. It's all chooched out

Anyway, not this coming week, but the next I'll be taking my truck in for the head gaskets and what have you. Just a few questions for y'all out there;

Has anyone used Quick Tricks Auto for their gaskets and/or replacement heads? They seem pretty cheap (Gaskets @ 155/ea and new Heads @ 800/ea if I remember correctly). Are the OEM parts or aftermarket?

Secondly, my FICM is choochin it at about 35v on start up so while I have everything apart I'll fix it. My oil cooler deltas are usually 10* apart but while I'm in there, what the hell right? Has anyone ever used the Dorman replacements? I can get a hell of a deal on them. Right now on Amazon the FICM is like $116 shipped and the oil cooler is $121 shipped. That's cheap! I could possibly even get it cheaper than that. But regardless I hear mixed things about dorman, anyone ever tried either of those products?

I think I'm also going to go ahead and do a coolant filter. Which one do you guys recommend? Sinister or Dieselsite or? I'm also going to do the flush and switch to cat EC-1 and blah blah. I don't ever want to have to take this engine apart again.

Also what about STC fitting, stand pipes, dummy plugs, etc. Y'alls input would be real helpful. Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

Say NO to dorman. Use a genuine Ford/International oil cooler and check out ficmrepair.com for the FICM. Any competent 6.0L friendly shop will know the usual updates and upgrades for a reliable motor. A coolant filter is a good idea, I have a dieselsite one on my truck but in all honesty they do about the same thing.

Unless your heads are unrepairable, I suggest having a reputable machine shop inspect and machine your heads.

This post wouldn't be complete until I pointed out the EXTENDED TOW MIRRORS!
Old 08-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney330 View Post
Well guys, as 1puglife on youtube would say, my truck is dinked. It's all chooched out

Anyway, not this coming week, but the next I'll be taking my truck in for the head gaskets and what have you. Just a few questions for y'all out there;

Has anyone used Quick Tricks Auto for their gaskets and/or replacement heads? They seem pretty cheap (Gaskets @ 155/ea and new Heads @ 800/ea if I remember correctly). Are the OEM parts or aftermarket?

Secondly, my FICM is choochin it at about 35v on start up so while I have everything apart I'll fix it. My oil cooler deltas are usually 10* apart but while I'm in there, what the hell right? Has anyone ever used the Dorman replacements? I can get a hell of a deal on them. Right now on Amazon the FICM is like $116 shipped and the oil cooler is $121 shipped. That's cheap! I could possibly even get it cheaper than that. But regardless I hear mixed things about dorman, anyone ever tried either of those products?

I think I'm also going to go ahead and do a coolant filter. Which one do you guys recommend? Sinister or Dieselsite or? I'm also going to do the flush and switch to cat EC-1 and blah blah. I don't ever want to have to take this engine apart again.

Also what about STC fitting, stand pipes, dummy plugs, etc. Y'alls input would be real helpful. Thanks!!!!
Then don't use cheap Dorman parts. Use oem parts. Send the FICM to Ed at FICMRepair dot com or get one fro Vivian if you want to stick with a stock FICM. Get one from BPD if you want something better than stock.

Yes do the standpipes and dummy plugs. That's a no brainer. The SCT fitting depends on the year of your motor. If it has the old style fitting by all means update it.

IMHO the only coolant filter worth buying is the IPR High Flow coolant filter. It obsoleted all the others.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
IMHO the only coolant filter worth buying is the IPR High Flow coolant filter. It obsoleted all the others.
Uh-huh.. Its nice with the S mesh and magnet in the filter. And its a no brainer that it flows more, even the hose size is more then double the ID of the other filters.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:56 AM
Serving Our Country!

got my ficm from ficmrepair.com and its perfect I did the exchange program since my truck is my daily driver. as for oil cooler go with OEM there arn't very many parts ford did right but one was the oil cooler replacements... while your there look at stand pipes and stc fitting in high pressure oil system and do the chemical flush before replacing the coolers. if you smog get bulletproof egr cooler or delete if you dont have emissions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.