Powermax Turbo/ High EGT's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 05:51 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powermax Turbo/ High EGT's

I replaced my turbo with the PowerMax and I'm seeing to high of EGT's as compared to the stock turbo, just with highway driving with no load. On some of the slight hills we have around here I'm seeing 1100-1350 on a regular drive with cruise set at 70 mph, flat it runs about 750- 900 at 70mph My stock turbo would only pull 750-1050 EGTS on the same drive, is this normal for a stock truck with only the Powermax and 4 inch staight Pipe ? I have the SCT with lonney tune and havent done the EGR delete yet but thats coming next with the head studs,oil cooler and intake. any thoughts on this would be great as I'm just starting to upgrade the truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

You need to get your tune upgraded for the powermax. Until then it will run hot
Old 08-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I had a similar experience when I added my Powermax. I also had a lot of low end lag. I ended up going with Matt's 8k tow tune and it helped with the lag and the EGT's.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:49 PM

Egt's

bp-1 I am seeing the same results so I am installing a mtw billet wheel and adrian at mtw is working with me in order to get my egt's in check.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Making ported intakes

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That's some high egts man. I'd be looking for a exhaust leak at the collector and the turbo. Start your truck and put your hand around it and feel for air. Possibly exhaust manifold or up pipe leak as well. Or your tuning sucks
Old 08-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Serving Our Country!

aftermarket turbo with high horsepower tune... Custom tune seems to be a common answer. have you noticed a lower egts with a lower horse power tune? also with my stock gearing and 35's 75mph is close or above 2k rpms on a 4k redline tach...
Old 08-16-2013, 04:53 AM
...swamp trash...

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes I have been here. The right tuning and a MTW billet wheel made it manageable for me.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:58 AM

Thanks for the help, will be looking into a few things this weekend, and yes it is custom tuned for the Powermax from Vivian but it is the lonney tune, and the EGT's were about the same with the lower canned SCT tunes, So maybe just an exhaust leak I hope, anyway thanks for the replys
Old 08-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

Let me explain on why the EGT's are higher with the Powermax Vs the stock turbo, or some of the other aftermarket turbo. I'm not bashing the Powermax this is just the facts.
The reason is simply that the combination of the compressor wheel the 63.5mm/88mm dual plane cast wheel in the Powermax combined with the 72.5mm/66mm 10 bladed turbine wheel is the cause of the problems( lag, dead spots, and high egts.) The Powermax shares same turbine wheel as the 03 turbo, but the 03 has a 59mm/82mm dual plane compressor wheel. The weight difference of the compressor wheel and amount of flow is what makes the difference, not just between these turbos but any turbo combination built.
By replace the cast wheel with a billet single plane wheel on the Powermax you will decrease weight, and increase air flow which will help the problems with the Powermax. Tuning also helps since the VGT duty cycle needs to be closed more to let the turbo spin faster at the lower RPM while at cruise to reduce the EGT's. The secret is to find the right combination for compressor, turbine wheel size that the 6.0 powerstroke exhaust pressure can handle at low RPM to lower the EGT's at cruise and still give you all the rest of the power you need. The stock injectors will also make the Powermax run hotter, vs larger injectors that can increase the exhaust pressure through increase compression in the cylinders, and of course a ported manifold will also help since the back cylinders are now running more efficient which would increase exhaust pressure to help move the larger turbine wheel. Hope this helps explain what is going on and how I have figured out how to mod a Powermax to make it work more efficiently, and not just by the compressor wheel but other things that I have found out.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 AM

Any time you move up to a larger turbo and change nothing else ( ie Injectors or Tuning ) you're going to have some lag and higher egts. Larger turbos to not lite as fast as smaller turbos do, it takes more inertia to move a larger object thats just simple physics. If you get a tuner tailored for the turbo upgrade you'll be fine. You need to remember its a performance upgrade not a stock replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.