Oil cooler replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 04:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil cooler replacement

I'm just wondering is the stock oil cooler the best and reliable if i replace it and add a coolant filter. and if i should also get a external oil filter ? and information would be great. I already have a egr delete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would argue that the "best" that you could do is the Bullet Proof Diesel oil cooler. For a couple reason's. 1 It will never clog again. Well I have yet to read or hear about one clogging anyways. With the OEM you just cant say that. Im sure your gonna get somebody on here that will tell you the have 4 million miles with the original FORD gold coolant and have never had a issue yet....but for that one guy there is gonna be countless OEM nightmares.
2.It just cools and filters better. And if you combine the set up with a bypass filter man your oils gonna be happy....happy oil,happy injectors.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:09 PM

Im going to be flushing and switching to cat ec-1 coolant
Old 08-15-2013, 06:06 PM

how does the kit work for you kinni?
Old 08-17-2013, 05:53 AM

The ONLY issue that I have had yet with the BPD oil cooler is reeley more of my truck fault than the kits fault. With the BPD set up you totally remove the coolant from any contact with the oil. So if I understand correctly the truck uses the coolant temp to monitor the oil temp. Or at least as watches the coolant temp as to know when to kick the fan on and this wll keep the oil temps down. So now I gotta retune the truck to bring on the fan to a lower temp. But this is no big deal and BPD put on her that the will send this retune for free.
Like I said its more the truck than the kit.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you have the money for the BPD remote oil cooler it is hands down the best option for your oil cooler. If not running ELC coolant, get an IPR coolant filter, and an oem oil cooler and you should be pretty reliable. There is still a small chance that the oem cooler could clog or rupture but you will never be 100% free of that with the oem cooler.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:47 AM

If your system is clean and you have an egr cooler delete the best option is the stock cooler, but you have to get the system clean if it has not been maintained well. The BPD has issues with getting enough air to the cooler on some trucks and if you are in a cold climate you need the cold weather kit. There are limitations with both, weigh them and decide. Neither will harm your truck if done properly.

On my truck the stock cooler works fine, did the Monteagle Mountian in Tn pulling the 5th wheel and saw max oil temp of 226* with air temp of 90* and ac on. The rest of the 3000 mile trip EOT was 206 and ECT 196 average.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:18 PM

i only have 67,000 miles on it i have the sinister coolant filter and 6 gallons of cat ec-1 coolant oil changed every 4-5k with a egr delete.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

There's a lot of discussion on this topic. Going with the BPD cooler then leads to the discussion of what is more effective, air to liquid cooling or liquid to liquid cooling. Just some food for thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.