Trans tuning UPDATE - My opinions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Trans tuning UPDATE - My opinions

So I tried the KAM reset through the SCT but with the key on it said "reset failed" but with the key off it said completed but almost instantly, the SCT doesnt do ANYTHING instantly so I have my reservations whether it did anything at all.

On to my update - Chris from TSD sent me two revised tunes one with early lock and one without. I loaded the early lock as that is what all the other tunes I had use and one of my biggest gripes with the tunes I was getting so I asked chris for one without. Well long story short I loaded it on my SCT and did my little KAM experiment and then loaded the tune. I have not got on it too hard but so far the tranny is shifting silky smooth. I gave it the wood one time and it shifted a tad high at close to 4100 rpm but it banged the gears no problem and seemed spot on. We will see if it continues to stay that way or if it learns how to mess itself up. My only gripe is that I can peg 14-1500 egt before 70mph - I may be out of air up top and need a billet wheel or something to run these types of high performance tunes.

Now on to my rant and my opinion. EARLY LOCK UP TUNES SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If this has been my problem for the last 13 months fighting all these tunes I will be very disappointed that certain tuners would not listen to what I wanted as I was shoe horned into EL tunes by everyone and not knowing or thinking about that could be my problem. The tranny has never shifted this good on a performance tune since I loaded my first performance tune. Also the truck had a nice lunge to lock then another shifting into 6th gear - that is gone now. So I believe early lock tunes are garbage -- hopefully the truck continues to shift like this and doesnt revert back to goofy shifting tactics.

OH and big thanks to Chris @ TSD for actually listening to what I WANTED and getting me a tune without EL - it has been a couple months since he sent them and I have been fighting the EL tune ever since.

*EDIT* to be fair on my tune from Tony I never asked one way or the other I just ran what he sent. His was a tad harsh shifting but otherwise ok - his tune had power but I couldnt justify the 2mpg loss and the 10+psi cruising boost. I gave up with Tony because I didnt want to pester him as his daughter was going downhill fast and quite frankly my truck and tune was insignificant to the last moments he was going to get to spend with Morgan so I didnt want to be a reason he lost even 5 minutes with her. I would like to have him do more for me in the future though.

Todd

Last edited by white59rt; 08-15-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glad you got it sorted , early lock up is great for E.T getting down a race track but
not my favorite as a driver. I have over 6 tunes that promise to break your transmission
and are really annoying to drive . I had to learn the hard way ( about what I asked for ).
Nice truck by the way !
Old 08-15-2013, 10:49 AM

did you get the SPD or the panty dropper i think i might switch from my looney tune to the panty dropper..
Old 08-15-2013, 11:12 AM

Have Chris make the converter lock in 2nd at WOT, he has it set to around like 75 or 80% throttle position to lock it. My file from Matt locks as soon as the truck hits 2nd gear and stays locked, but its only at WOT that it locks.

Early converter lock up does not suck at all, its extremely efficient at putting power to the ground, and definitely necessary to get the best times at the track and keep smoke level down. But, to daily drive them they need to be dialed in right. Have chris bump lock up to WOT starting in 2nd gear and it will be more fun to drive on the street. Chris is an awesome guy.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

Good advice , learn something new everyday . My srl+ doesn't lock up ( I think my memory
is leaving ) until 5th after throttle pos'n is stabilized above 55mph ( cruising )
Is this something you have to ask for in a daily driver when you buy the tune ?
I ordered my srl+ from matt , installed it and never questioned it.
All my other tunes are horrible part throttle ( a couple can't even make up their minds as
to which gear they're supposed to be in ,and they buck and heave so bad it scares me
Thanks for your experience and advice on this .
Old 08-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Also I realize that I can be talking about 2 different tuning parameters here , it's funny
that any tune I have that "locks up" also has other shifting issues . may or may not even
be related , but that comes from my inexperience on this subject
Old 08-15-2013, 01:02 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I think there is different terminology at work - I thought early lock was the converter locks early meaning 1-2-3-5-LOCK-6 vs 1-2-3-5-6-LOCK - I believe this causes the trans at least in my truck to freak the F out and that is what I think is garbage.

I believe Greg is talking about adding lockup to WOT only vs an early lock as I have listed above. Every "early lock" file I have the stupid POS cant decide what gear it wants to be in. I am now thinking the early lock feature was causing the tranny to be confused. For what its worth I see how the theory of WOT lock is beneficial but the early lock is just garbage for DD applications, especially if it is causing your trans to freak. Mine would literally be a buckin bronco with this last tune - 1-3-2-3 - and it would bang the gears one time and soft the next. Same problem I have always had but this time it was 10X worse.

So the moral of the story I will stick with late lock tunes unless I was to have one written to lock at WOT only as greg suggested

Todd
Old 08-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Premium Member

So asking for the same tune but locked 2 to 5th ( mines a 2004 and i've never seen 6th )
90% throttle pos'n and above should be fine ? Something bothers me about wide open
throttle but then again 90% isn't far off lol .
Also is this alot more stress on the motor & systems
Sorry about being too inquisitive here , but I wan't to fully understand what I'm asking for.
Thanks for your patience
Old 08-15-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP MACHINE View Post
So asking for the same tune but locked 2 to 5th ( mines a 2004 and i've never seen 6th )
90% throttle pos'n and above should be fine ? Something bothers me about wide open
throttle but then again 90% isn't far off lol .
Also is this alot more stress on the motor & systems
Sorry about being too inquisitive here , but I wan't to fully understand what I'm asking for.
Thanks for your patience
Every 5r is a "6speed " just never at any certain time. Its always 5 forward gears depending on temp And speed.

The stock shift strategy is 1-2-3-5-6-lock. Im assuming you're talking about early lock as in over drive (6th locked) aka "5th". Is too early? Like 45mph? Or 55mph?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Serving Our Country!

I drive up to rocklin roseville about once a week surprised I never saw your tearing up the roads lol... so my truck has that 3-4 drop then lag and shift like yours on canned tow+50 who you recommend I go to? it just sounds similar to your issue and started few months ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.