Barder stage 2 review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Barder stage 2 review

As many of you, I was in the boat of needing more air to clean up my tunes and injectors that I had installed AND still needed to tow loads of 7K+. I have been reading a lot about the Powermax turbos and the MTW turbos and was not really sold on one or the other. The reviews were kind of mixed and I was wanting something that was not going to perform out of the box and need a lot of tweaking constantly to get it to work. I came across Jame Barder and his turbo rebuilding skills. After a few chats with him I was sold on him rebuilding my turbo. I liked that he balanced the turbo and he had a short turn around time. So I took the plunge and sent him my turbo to be upgraded to the stage 2. Turn around was going to be 2-3 days which for me was nice after reading about the other turbo rebuilds taking a few months which in my eyes is no way to keep business or even get new business. I sent James my turbo to be fitted with a 64.7mm wheel and being I already had an 03 turbo the price would be cheaper cause he could machine my existing housing to fit the larger wheel. My first run I blew off the boot after the turbo, so I put it back on and tried again, it blew off again. I ordered some from Riff Raff boots and I will be putting them on very soon. OK enough of the back story on to the review.

I put the turbo on and instantly noticed a huge whooshing noise coming from under the hood that I never had before, this thing really sucks in some air! I noticed at 70mm my egts are about 100 degrees cooler, but where this thing really shines is at WOT. I am running 155/30 injectors from Warren. With the stock turbo with a BatMoWheel I could bury the egts, now with the Barder turbo I have seen a max of 1200-1300 degrees with my Extreme Street tune from Eric at IDP. Cruising around the street I see about 4-5 pounds of boost, before I was at 9-10 pounds. I bought this turbo to keep my EGT's down when I pull my camper, I have not pulled with it yet but I will next Friday. From a stop, mashing the pedal I get a puff of black smoke and then I'm off like a rocket with minimal smoke to a light haze on my Extreme Street tune. It seems that every time I drive it the manners are better than before and feels like it settling down into a groove. I think this will be a great towing turbo even on the Exteme race tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am stoked... mine will ship tomorrow. . Glad it is working GREAT for you.
James seems like a great guy and you can not beat his turn around.
From another vendor I had to wait 4 months for a replacement turbo and when that one finally showed it was bad.. it took so long to get.... they forgot my address??? Really?

Good luck and keep us posted!!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sure is a lot of success coming out of Barder's shop lately. Awesome to hear. Really looking forward to hearing how this turbo works out for you Aron.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:41 PM

Nice this will be a good test keep us posted.

Bondajb do you have larger injectors? I know you were talking about them at one point but didn't see any in your sig. Just curious
Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

How much weight will you be towing?
Are the tune you running for the stg2 or other?
I have to find a turbo that lives up to its claims before I add more fuel.. 175/30 casserly's are the plan
Old 08-12-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondajb View Post
How much weight will you be towing?
Are the tune you running for the stg2 or other?
I have to find a turbo that lives up to its claims before I add more fuel.. 175/30 casserly's are the plan
Ya that's my plan or 175 stock. For the gain in HP I don't know if its worth it in the cost for nozzles. Derail over, back to the turbo talk lol

Old 08-12-2013, 06:40 PM

Looks like im not the only one loving their BTS Stage 2. I wouldn't be scared to tow max weight with mine. I think the turbo will only shine more as the load increases.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Hunt View Post
Ya that's my plan or 175 stock. For the gain in HP I don't know if its worth it in the cost for nozzles. Derail over, back to the turbo talk lol

This whole game isn't worth the cost.. my hopes are with this turbo they will work well. They should be able to run the same as the OP's but with a bit more if wanted/needed
Old 08-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

What is the specs on the stage 2? Is it just a bigger compressor wheel?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 PM

64.7mm single plane compressor wheel with a 10 blade turbine wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.