Trans tuning issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Trans tuning issues

Hey guys,

Any tuners out there that can tune a transmission so it shifts normal and good??? I have about had it with this truck, either it is a POS or tuners cant tune it.

I will just go ahead and rant - First tune I ever got was from vivian, it had a terrible shift flare from day 1 and I was told it was a problem with my 50K mile truck or user error, definitely not the tune. Well a few hundred miles later the trans was gone. I understood the risk I took by loading a performance tune just bummed it cost me a tranny on basically the first outting. However my hand was forced so I upgraded to PI stallion converter and billet input shaft along with new clutches and such.

I tried a tune from Chris at TSD and it was the best running tune but I couldnt get it to shift right at WOT. It wanted to push the shifts to 4300 no matter what we tried. He sent me a new tune and now it wont shift right unless I am under light throttle. Otherwise it wants to shift from 1-3 back to 2 then to 3 then to 5 - its like a bucking bronco.

I also tried Tony's tunes and the trans wanted to flare 3-5 and cruising boost was way too high, he fixed most of that but still has a slight flare and it was getting HORRIBLE fuel mileage compared to everyone else. The tune ran ok other than the tranny portion.

I dont want to just throw 100 dollar bills around to all the tuners to find out nothing works. I am pretty sure the tranny is fine because it runs like a top with the stock tune.

Should I maybe get away from the higher HP tunes? Anyone?

Thanks!

Todd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 09:57 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Call BTS, no one knows how better to tune for shifts better than Brian IMO.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:11 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
In my experience, Eric is the one tuner that when I asked for a very specific change to the transmission shifting, he was able to get it spot on. I like Chris's engine tuning better because the truck sounds and runs smoother but hands down, Eric could make what I wanted to happen actually happen with the tranny. I tried transmission tweaking with various other tuners and wasn't as lucky. Basically, they would send me back a "revised" tune and NOTHING had changed.
Like I said, just my experience here. Hope it helps.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am just throwing this out there but do you think maybe there is something else wrong besides the tune and/or the tranny.

I have a close friend/mechanic that had problems with his tranny. He though it was the tune, then he thought it was the tranny, he replaced his tranny and still had the problem and blamed it on the builder, then tried a different builder, then a stock tranny, he tried many different tunes... nothing fixed the problem.

He ended up having problems with a couple of bad sensors...

I had a similar problem with an old 7.3 that just would not shift right and it ended up being the ebp sensor

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

I found that Matt's tunes from Gearhead are the best for the trans, I had Tony's extreme but I had a 3-5 shift flare then it stuck in 3rd with a brand new trans. I really liked the turbo tuning but not going to risk this new trans.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Don't give up , I've spent hundreds on tunes just to find out what works for me .
I use my truck as a daily driver and just wanted a really nice shifting
higher HP tune and I suggest you contact GEARHEAD and get matt's
srl + . Get away from all these race tunes , I couldn't any of
them to act rite .
They are useless in the real world of driving .
Matt's srl+ is the nicest driving and shifting tune period !
I'm not badmouthing any of these other tuners ( I think they do a
tremendous job of tuning truck's ) but be careful what you ask for
or you might get it.
PS . I have a library of tunes and his is the only one that gets used .
PHP also has nice ecm rollbacks that work really nice and when
combined with their ficm tunes , are even better .
Just my 2 cent's worth .
Old 08-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm having similar issues like you are, I destroyed a PI converter, broke an input shaft and smoked the clutches due to what was thought to be tuning. Andy at warren diesel has been helping me tremendously to figure out this problem. We are now thinking that the transmission wiring harness maybe bad. He is sending me one and I should get it this week and I'm crossing my fingers that it works.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:13 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'd agree that here is possibly something wrong with a sensor or solenoid in your trans. Try reloading your tunes and choosing default settings when loading the tune. I had trouble with my SRLxx shifting really badly and it turned out the shift pressure and shift points at wot where changed and once I reset it to defaults… all was well again!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:17 PM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Hey bro,
How can you reset to defaults then load SRL? Mine feels a little funky at times.. Maybe I should reset to stock as you said.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:45 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
When you are loading custom tunes... The device will ask you if you want to "load saved changes(setting)" or something like that. There is also a choose to reset to default, after you reset to default, make sure the only thing you change is the rpm rev limiter to 4500 rpms which is what Matt programs his tunes tune. I know some may not believe me so I'd ask him yourself... But you can save yourself the trouble (and his) because I've have emails proving that he said that if someone doesn't believe it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.