3.5" vs 4" down pipe - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3.5" vs 4" down pipe

Hey guys have a question here that hopefully I can get some input on. I bought an exhaust with a 4" downpipe for my 6.0 and thought I made a good choice. Long story short my brother in law (ford diesel tech) told me anything over 3.5" was a waste and I would loose torque from a 4"down pipe. Now I'm hesitant to put it on. Truck is also stock exhaust is first mod I'm doing. Any help or thought would be appreciated.
Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
not sure if I felt anything- But all I know is, when you open the hood I have a real mans downpipe looking at you
Old 08-09-2013, 06:55 PM

I personally have a 4" DP with out any issues. This has also been talked about a lot with a lot of varying opinions. In talking with a tuner, basically he told me yes you loose a little torque ( throttle response) taking the cat off, then moving to a 3.5" from 3"then to a 4 from 3.5" with each change but you gain HP on the top end and lower EGT's. So it's a trade off it seems and which works best for your build. However I don't think it's ever been shown on a dyno at least not that I know of and may not even show up then. More than likely the old Butt-O-Meter might be the only way since it off idle and on the very low RPM side of things that it would show up. But others can chime in and give there thoughts.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:01 PM

When my truck was all stock the first thing I did was a full exhaust with 4"dp... I def. lost low end torque... Now with my mods im sure the 4"er helps now.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input guys I really do appreciate it all. I am going to go ahead and throw the 4" on I think. Is. A diamond eye 5" exhaust with 4" downpipe. Next mod on the list is an h&s minimaxx so I'm thinking down the road the 4" will help, also like the thought of the lower gets. Thanks again all. Keep me coming if you want.
Aaron
Old 08-10-2013, 07:42 AM

The larger exhaust to help with egts. When you start cranking up the fuel the egts go up.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:50 AM

I saw you mentioned a mini max. Why would you buy that tuner when it has been proven over and over that the tuner to buy for a 6.0 is an SCT. On the fly tuning is not a good idea with these trucks. You will be far happier with an SCT and some custom tunes and your tranny will thank you in the long run.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:10 AM

Mini Max is a Mini NoNo, take the advise of 9 out of 10 Dentists.... go with an SCT and live happy ever after...

d
Old 08-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks a bunch for the input on the tuner guys. Again maybe my biggest problem is that I listen to my brother inlaw (ford diesel tech)a little to much and take his word on everything. I honestly never thought of the SCT but I have seen a lot of guys on here running them. Guess I need to bury my nose in the forum a little more and go with 9 out of 10 dentist approach. Lol thanks for input guys. Keep it coming. The more I'm reading the 4" downpipe appears to be a good move if I'm gonna be putting more fuel to it
Old 08-11-2013, 09:57 AM

j really doubt that you lost ANY performance with the 4" DP. do you gain anything....maybe not other than lower egt's.

what you think you lost was the feel of having more torgue, but I would bet money , that it was actually a gain, across the board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.