Air Dog Drama - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
Air Dog Drama

alright as some of you may have known I installed the airdog 150 kit last week,. Mine you I had no instructions at all. So besides all that I ended up getting it all put together. Alright so i went with the air dog because i got a great price on it. But now that its all installed really its just a helper for the OE lift pump and filters the fuel. not really what i thought it was gonna be. we spoke to toby down at pure flow and he said that i dont bypass my oe lift pump so basically the 150 will flow all this fuel but hits the oe lift pump and does nothing?!?! totally blew my mind. I wish I just went with dj's fuel. So i spoke to toby about bypassing the lift pump with an aeromotive 100 pump. Leave the lift pump in there for its return to the tank part but not use it to send up to the motor. it makes me mad that i paid 400 bucks for a filter?

I read about a guy who changed all his lines and bypassed the lift pump. Seems like alot of work though, any of you other guys feel the same about this? I think that if i do a pump instead of the oe lift pump up to djs fuel I will see much much more gains. As of right now i see nothing nor feel anything but my wallet getting thinner. My cfm did a bigger part then the air dog did.

Ahhh had to vent a little bit too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Cynic

Airdog is designed to enhance your fuel system, not replace it. The airdog not only filters the fuel, it removes the air. This in itself improves the functionality of the injection process creating less noise and more power. Your stock pump should be able to handle the HP of you truck. What other mods do you have? With stage 3's, my stock pump is just now showing signs that I need to replace it with a walbro.

FWIW, I'm moving to the airdog soon.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:01 PM

i totally understand that the air dog does all that and im not by any means saying that its not a good product, awesome guys over at pure flow as well. But what I am saying is that i could have just got away with djs kit and not needed anything else. Im only using 190s stock 03 turbo. meth, sct by dj, all the other bolt ons. But my point is that i could have saved the money on the air dog as i am only going with 190s and maybe, maybe a bigger turbo later. But it just got my stumped how it hits the oe lift pump and doesnt do much after that.

what do you have for fuel support wise? itp, djs kit?
Old 04-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Cynic

I have a full ITP kit. Regulator is set for 65-70psi at idle. At WOT on a hard run, It drops to about 40psi now. That isn't a big concern due to the fact I'm still pushing WAY more fuel than the turbo can handle.

I still feel you made the correct purchase. The airdog is a GREAT foundation. There is a lot of different theories out there, don't get caught up in buyer's remorse.

Is the DJ's kit you speak of a regulated return of sorts for the 6.0? If it is what I think it is, then yes.. a return kit will help. But the advantages of removing the air FROM the fuel out weighs cycling the fuel alone.

I would have done the return kit first, then the airdog.. but both are wonderful mods together or apart.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:20 PM

Totally agree with you Dirk. You will find longer injector life, and injection pump life with the AirDog system.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:22 PM

well thanks alot Dirk, making me feel better about it. I will throw some pics up. Insane install with no instructions. But all in GREAT guys at pure flow. And yeah the kit I am speaking of is Dj's fuel+ intensifier
::: DJ's Perfromance :: Fuel+ Intensifier :::

seems like the ITP is a little nicer but harder to install. Either way your are right probably should have just did the return first. then the air dog or even got away with just the return. ahh whatever its done now lol..im deff not taking the bed off again thats for sure.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Cynic

The airdog is built by Dennis at ITP. He's only screwed my order up once on some orings (he was busy, and to be fair.. I started hounding him and it was a silly mistake)...

as far as parts\quality are concerned.. top notch.

Here is my experience.

Regulated return = quicker acceleration. No noticeable noise reduction. Granted.. I'm running single shot injectors now, quite a bit louder than my old splits.

Pre pump mod (cheapest way to help get air out) = A lot quieter.

Remember, the fuel fills into the injector.. it is hammered by the pressure of the oil (when the injector is electronically activated) forcing it through the nozzle into the cylinder at a very high pressure rate. Air in the fuel can cause damage to the injector. The fuel acts like a cushion. Air will not. (very simple explanation)

Like I said before, there is a lot of debate on which system is best. I'm not here to get into that. I've admitted before that I'm a ITP cheerleader.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:47 PM

ITP doesn't build the Airdog, Pureflow tech does, not sure where you heard that from...?
Old 04-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle@XDP View Post
ITP doesn't build the Airdog, Pureflow tech does, not sure where you heard that from...?
I do stand corrected. I learned that a few months ago, and forgot again.

EDIT: I didn't get to finish what I was going say. I hate it when people come to my desk expecting me to do some work...

Anyways, I was thinking/talking about the reg. return setup that I bought from Dennis. But yes, Pureflow DOES build it. Also, Any reason you went with the 150? Just because the good price? That is a bit of overkill.

Last edited by Dirk; 04-29-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:01 PM

imo the 150 is a better option if your gonna bypass the stock pump and upgrade the sticks and programming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.