Rear Axles... Lockers... Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear Axles... Lockers... Help!

I touched on this before but I broke a left rear shaft and replaced it. Now, my detroit locker will no longer unlock. I spoke with Eaton tech support and he said that I stripped off the teeth from the shock of the broken shaft which will apply un equal load and make it lock up. He said it was pretty common. I havent open it back up because I have to drive it still. I need to clean my stock carrier and get it ready to go back in there but its all rusted from sitting for 5 years or so.

The AAM1150's are huge money and parts are huge money like ring and pinion and lockers. The dana 80 is cheap but they dont offer 4.56 gears for it and I am not sure about the width. I think that a cab and chassis F350 Dana 80 may be my best bet. But then I need to change my front ratio as well and would have to run a 4.30 in both. Any input? Im lost!

I am sick and tired of this rear end...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 03:30 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ok that was a lot of info real quick lol. You broke a rear inner axle shaft? Dang! How? I have broken my front but not rear! I've twisted two drivelines and not broken a rear inner axle. I've seen the pinion tear off the axle housing on the 10.5, breaking the axle seems strange, but anything and everything breaks. I can buy the theory you screwed up the locker in the works of that event, but that's the first Detroit failure I've heard of. When my front inner axle broke I called all over the major suppliers like 4wheel parts and Randy's ring, and s couple axle builders. Nobody makes hardened 4130 inner axle shafts for these trucks because they don't break often. I replaced my stuff with OEM (i hate cause i always upgrade)and now try not to replicate the event (high speed lockers on hydro steering Baja lol). Your stuck with expensive options if you want to upgrade. Unless your building a competition sled puller I think getting a new locker and inner axle shaft might be your cheapest route if you can avoid a recurrence.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You could always have the axles cryo treated for added strength if there aren't better axles available. But I agree with Rob. Put another Detroit and oem axles in and you should be good. Sometimes stuff that shouldn't break does due to variety of reasons.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:21 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Throw a set of rock wells in there lol, fill em with overson shafts and a Detroit, you won't break em ever again. It'd only cost about 10k bucks, oh...and you'd have 6.72 gearing lol. I just got done building a set for a mud bog buddy

Yeah, or do what rob and Mitch said. I'm glad someone mentioned cryo treatment. Some also say vibratory treatment and shot penning adds strength.

Last edited by Gearhead2012; 07-31-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:31 AM
Serving Our Country!

I thought rockwells came in a 7.17:1??
Old 07-31-2013, 12:38 PM

I'm pretty sure you can get the Rockwell with either gear set. Although the standard ratio is 6.72

I would just get another Detriot and stick a factory shaft back in it. I broke a Detriot in the rear of a CJ one time with a 6 cylinder and 35's. Nobody could answer why the Detriot broke. Strange things just happen every once in a while.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:20 PM

Yukon makes chromoly rear shafts for about $600 shipped but I'm just going to run the stock carrier for now until I figure it out. I'm at the point to where it breaks at least once a year and that's with oem u joints. I would really like to do an axle swap.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:45 PM

Is your truck a stick shift? I can't believe your tearing that Sterling out so easy with 37's.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:36 AM

The truck is a stock auto trans. I think what may help and I dont even know if this is possible... have a button to unlock the converter within the last couple feet of a sled pull to give it a little slip. I know the older dodges are able to do it. Other than the rear axle, the truck holds up great with a couple few exceptions.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

I'm no sled puller so any thing I might say could be useless info...but. What about a set of F450 axles. Dana 135 in back and a super 60 in the front. I'm not sure that 4.56's are available but 4.30's and 4.88 are. As for a locker carrier for the rear...i'm not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.