68mm KC Turbo Dyno and Video - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
68mm KC Turbo Dyno and Video

Skip down to bold letter for just dyno results

Well some of you may be following some of my posts but I have ventured into the realm of modding turbos. I have had the goal of getting a turbo for us middle of the road guys. Not looking to break the bank but want to make it into the 500+ hp range without investing mucho $$$$ in mods. It seems like 175cc injectors seem to be to safest bet to guarantee 500+ hp but with some of the turbos out there the trucks can be smokey with really high egts...

I have tried a bunch of different variations which I will not go into here. I have finally found one that meets all my requirements. I am hoping to still tweak the turbo a little bit but I feel that the gains might not be noticed much by the seat of my pants so I am starting to dyno my results. I will use the same parameters for each dyno run so as i change things on the turbo I can compare dyno results. I practiced a lot with my dyno guy and made 10 runs. They were all very close for the last 6 runs so I should be pretty consistent with all my changes.

Also one of my goals were not to chase every bit of hp using a wide variety of mods. I wanted to be able to offer a pretty sure bet of breaking 500+ hp without being super smokey and not having to buy every little supporting mod.

So the only hp mods to my truck: 68mm KC turbo, 175cc/stock nozzles, tuner, exhaust... thats it (well I am supposed to have a 58v ficm but it only reads out 48v and is not supposed to do very much)

Here are the mods that I did not put on the truck because I feel you get very little bang for your buck with these mods compared to others: ficm tune, water/meth kit, aftermarket air intake, ported intake manifold, headers, intake elbow, bigger intercooler, new y-pipes, etc... I am not saying that those don't do anything or that they wasted mods. I was just looking for the cheapest route to hit 500+ hp

AND I MADE MY GOAL

521hp/901tq

here is the dyno graph

I would like to point out a few things on the graph that interest me. I have always wondered the affect of stock nozzles and I think the dyno graph shows it. The torque curve is no very flat and I feel that is because as the rpms go up the stock nozzles have a hard time keeping up with flow. The stock nozzles put out plenty of fuel at low rpms (where most people drive) but when it gets up there the pulse of the injector mixed with the stock nozzles prevent the fuel from keeping up with the demands of the turbo/air.

Also the hp curve is very flat and does not increase as rpms go up, i wonder if that also has something to do with the flow of the nozzles???

I will post some video in the next post.
bgraiders323 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

I have a couple of different videos showing how smokey my truck was before and after the new turbo. The first two videos are of the same truck same mods except with 63.5mm turbo. The second two video are with the new 68mm KC turbo. EGTs for these runs went from 1800(63.5 turbo) down to 1550(68mm turbo). Something else you might notice if your sound is on is that the 68mm turbo whistle now... Oh and I have a really hard time keeping traction at anything below 40mph so I have to feather the throttle a little bit.

Before with 63.5mm turbo

Now with the 68mm KC turbo

bgraiders323 likes this.

Last edited by peixinho; 07-24-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Remember, the HP is a derived function of Torque. So as the torque drops off with less fuel and acceleration, the derived HP will not climb as much with RPM. Either way, good numbers.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Was that 63.5mm running a 13 blade turbine or pmax 10 blade? Im guessing 13 since it didn't whistle much
Old 07-25-2013, 04:13 AM

I wonder if the ficm tune would help out the stock nozzles?

And do you have a link to the turbo?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastTRX View Post
Was that 63.5mm running a 13 blade turbine or pmax 10 blade? Im guessing 13 since it didn't whistle much
13 bladeturbine, 11 blade billet comp wheel

Last edited by peixinho; 09-14-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:55 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz trk View Post
I wonder if the ficm tune would help out the stock nozzles?

And do you have a link to the turbo?
Once i get done deciding on a turbo I might try nozzles and/or a ficm tune to see how it reacts.

There is no link for the turbo. It is just something I have been working on.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
Remember, the HP is a derived function of Torque. So as the torque drops off with less fuel and acceleration, the derived HP will not climb as much with RPM. Either way, good numbers.

just a thought using the formula to calculate hp from torque.

If I had made 900tq at 3500 rpms then the hp would be 600 (that would be a very flat torque curve) anyone think I can gain 80hp by adding nozzles

well that is according to this website HORSEPOWER TO TORQUE CALCULATOR

Once I get the turbo platform figured out I will put on bigger nozzles and test this theory to see if I can keep 900tq across the rpm band
Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

wow... i thought I would get a few more comments... was hoping for a little constructive criticism or maybe some thoughts on the setup/dyno?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 PM

I'm interested in this. It's particularly interesting to me because of just how simple the build really is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.