Local tranny rebuild, what parts to use? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Local tranny rebuild, what parts to use?

I have the 3-5 flare and dropped the pan today. Found the magnet has at least 1/8" of stuff on it. It looks more like a doughnut because of how it's mounded up. Couldn't see the magnet at all. So, it's on the way out and I need to get ready for a rebuild.

Right now I'm stock + and IDP tune. I don't see myself going over 500hp and even that is likely out of my reach. I found a local shop that knows these trannys well. They know all about the weak points and were telling me the ins and outs of the new parts and explained how and why each redesigned part was better than the original. They are willing to install whatever I want for parts. So, what parts should I get? About all I know is PI converter, maybe order the converter from BTS. I'd love a BTS tranny, but that isn't really an option. Oh, I'll be doing the '08 pan/filter also. So, let me know what you'd recommend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 04:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've asked this same question before and the answers I seem to get foe that hp range if that's all you even plan on is just a convertor and clutches. Hopefully someone one else will chime in too

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sweet, that's the info I'm hoping to get. I've done some more reading/looking Looks like there are many billet options, but not sure if I need any at my power level. What are good clutches? Red Eagle is about the only upgraded clutches I can find. Or do I not need/want upgraded clutches? I'm open to suggestions, want to get this right the first time.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:40 AM

If that's all the power you want I would get low miles used one for like $500-800 these transmission are so tough stock mine has 250k and lives behind 205s/100 and hevay foot
Old 07-23-2013, 05:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here is my know list so far, subject to change:

PI Converter - likely from BTS
'08 Pan/Filter
plugs for valve body (I think the shop already does this)
Red Eagle clutches?
Misc updated parts that the shop puts in (they have a pretty good list)
All new solenoids (obvious, but just listing stuff)

Do I need a new cooler? The filter sits in front of it so does that catch all the crap?

It will be nice to have a good tranny, but no studs in the foreseeable future now. :s Guess it's better to be able to roll down the road...
Old 07-23-2013, 06:22 AM
Premium Member

I just had a local trans shop build a tranny for me only because I'm in Alaska and shipping is insane. If I were in the lower 48 I would have went with a tranny from Andy Warren. If your dead set on a local trans shop do your research and know what your talking about when choosing a shop to complete the build. Here is the parts list for my tranny

Triple disc billet converter w/ 1600 stall
Billet input shaft
Billet ring gear hub
Alto red clutches and Kolene steels adding 2 clutches per pack
Low/ Reverse snap ring upgrade
Transgo shift kit
DD solenoid
08-10 pan and filter
Old 07-23-2013, 06:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Shipping the tranny here and core back still adds a bunch of $$. I'd really like to do that, but it isn't in the budget. This shop is a good shop that stands by their work. I've had other work done there with previous vehicles also. The fact that they can rattle off all the info, parts, updates, gotcha's and seminars they've been to on this transmission tells me they are the real deal.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:26 AM

elite comp rebuild kit, BTS converters are made by PI to their specs, I would definitely go that route. Replace all solenoids, flush the solenoid body, REPLACE the trans cooler, flush the lines, 08 pan and filter and if you're not going crazy you can stop there and be reliable as ever.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Premium Member

Andy's shipping really isn't very much, check prices and you will see how good a deal his transmissions really are.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dang, need a new cooler huh? Those things aren't cheap! I'll look up the rebuild kit, the rest sounds like what I was thinking so thanks for the input.

After I total all this up I'll check out Andy to compare, but with shipping both ways I'm not going to hold my breath.

Last edited by airjeff; 07-23-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.