Glow shift Fuel Pressure Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow shift Fuel Pressure Question

Hi guys,

Just had a couple questions, I'm more so illiterate when it comes to gauges and stuff, just wanting to make sure I get it all in one order since shipping to Canada isn't cheap. I was looking at their 3 in 1 gauge with fuel pressure, EGT, and Boost, but I have seen that they have a sensor relocation hose kit, and with that will I still need the 6.0L adapter or no? Is the relocation kit really necessary? Thanks for all the input, as I try and understand all this more! I'm hoping it comes with some instructions or I can find a how to for the install of the egt probe and boost sensor. Is there anything else I will need to run this? I will be getting the colour matched single pod as well, and it seems like there kit comes everything I need.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Retired Army

I have their 4-gauge pod and I think if I were to do this over again I wouldn't get their fuel pressure gauge. I'm having issues with it bouncing from high 50s to low 40s / mid 30s but only at about 1500 RPM. I thought this behavior was at all engine speeds but it doesn't appear so now that I'm watching it a little more closely. Also, if I just back off the throttle pressure returns to normal. GlowShift tech support said I had a loose connection but I've checked that and that's not the case. Someone else here had a similar issue and he got a new pressure sensor but GlowShift has not extended that to me (yes I've emailed).

I did purchase the adapter piece from GlowShift and that moved the sensor away from the fuel filter bowl enough to mount it (I removed the test port plug and connected there). I now have the hose from DieselSite (I think) that moves the sensor completely off the engine and onto the body (mine is by the brake master cylinder). I may move the sensor back to the adapter from GlowShift and see if the fluctuating reading goes away.

I like the relocation hose because the sensor is off the engine, there isn't as much interference between the fuel filter bowl / lines / etc. and the sensor, and there is a Schrader valve to bleed air from the line.

I like the adapter because there is less hose between the fuel filter bowl and the sensor, but the sensor is very close to lines / bowl / housing (you'd have to remove the sensor to change to a blue spring for instance) and there is no bleed valve.

I didn't need the adapter when I got the relocation kit from DieselSite.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:57 AM

I got the adapter and had to buy an elbow to move it away from the upper radiator hose. With the adapter alone there is no way it would have worked. Mine also bounces at higher rpms it usually starts when it gets past about 3300 rpm. The other issue I had was the provided o ring for the sender was noticeably smaller than the OEM one on the plug. I just swapped them out and that took care of my small fuel leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Glow shift Fuel Pressure Question-1374598616902.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchaseo View Post
I got the adapter and had to buy an elbow to move it away from the upper radiator hose. With the adapter alone there is no way it would have worked. Mine also bounces at higher rpms it usually starts when it gets past about 3300 rpm. The other issue I had was the provided o ring for the sender was noticeably smaller than the OEM one on the plug. I just swapped them out and that took care of my small fuel leak.
Did you use also use the relocation kit or just the adapter?
Old 07-23-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballbryce View Post
Did you use also use the relocation kit or just the adapter?

The adapter with a 90* elbow I found at Lowe's. If you need me to I'll snap a pic in a bit just let me know. I also used permatex number 2 on the threads. I read that the regular Teflon tape won't hold up to the fuel if it comes in contact. I know there are others that had success with it but the permatex was cheap enough to have handy anyway.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchaseo View Post
The adapter with a 90* elbow I found at Lowe's. If you need me to I'll snap a pic in a bit just let me know. I also used permatex number 2 on the threads. I read that the regular Teflon tape won't hold up to the fuel if it comes in contact. I know there are others that had success with it but the permatex was cheap enough to have handy anyway.
Do you think the sesnor relocation would fix the issue for you? or do you think its the gauge itself? I've heard some good and bad about glowshift.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballbryce View Post
Do you think the sesnor relocation would fix the issue for you? or do you think its the gauge itself? I've heard some good and bad about glowshift.
It seems hit or miss with the relocation from what I've read. Hopefully someone with experience using it will chime it as I can't say for sure. For the money they really aren't horrible gauges IMO and they actually look halfway decent.
Attached Thumbnails
Glow shift Fuel Pressure Question-1374602419186.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 AM

Im hoping someone will clue in, I'm waiting on a response from glowshift, so hopefully I can order it tonight.

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:20 AM

I installed my fuel psi gauge about 3 months ago and just started experiencing issues with it bouncing high and pegging out at 100. I made sure I installed the sensor and all under the hood very carefully so I don't think it's the problem, and seeing as there are numerous of these incidents, i feel like it is the gauge. Anyone have experience with glowshift support?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcris View Post
I installed my fuel psi gauge about 3 months ago and just started experiencing issues with it bouncing high and pegging out at 100. I made sure I installed the sensor and all under the hood very carefully so I don't think it's the problem, and seeing as there are numerous of these incidents, i feel like it is the gauge. Anyone have experience with Glowshift support?
Mine was doing the same thing and the fuel pressure sending unit went bad. It seems to be a common thing. Glowshift replaced mine under warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.