Anyone interested in Turbo R&D - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Anyone interested in Turbo R&D

Well the addiction has gotten too deep and I am now looking into building/modding turbos. I am not selling anything right now but just playing around. I have a friend that mods turbos but is not interested in 6.0 powerstrokes so I am going to take his idea and experiment with it. I have been buying, fixing, and selling cars/diesel for years and I would like to try something new.

I am not trying to step on anyones toes or copy anyones stuff. The reason I am looking into this is I could not find a turbo that suited my needs in my price range so I built one instead. I wanted 500+ hp (525-575) without breaking the bank or smoking like crazy all the time. I would like to accelerate full throttle up the freeway ramp without being embarrassed. I figured maybe there is someone else out there looking for the same thing. For my specific taste/application the stage 1, hybrid, powermax, etc were too small for me. On the other hand the stage 3 is a little big for my taste. I was not wanting to do compounds, twins, or non vgt. I liked the idea of the 68mm powermax but I felt it was too expensive for what they were offering.

With that being said I am looking for someone who would like to try out a couple of different turbo combos and see if they like them and how they respond to different trucks.

I would be looking for someone with some/most of the following criteria:
  • 155-190cc injectors (perferably 175cc)
  • works on their own truck and has no problem pulling their own turbo a couple of times
  • someone running sct tunes
  • someone who likes fast trucks but actually tows with them also
  • I know this sounds weird but I am looking for the average joe truck without too many mods (no ported intakes, no bigger intercooler, no major internal motor changes)
  • someone who is in the same boat as me (can't find the right turbo)
  • need to have good gauges (egt, ebp, boost, etc)

It would be great if I could find someone locally here in Phoneix AZ metro area so I don't have to pay for shipping everytime but that is not definite. I have just enough money to be buying and experimenting with parts to build so for right now this is not a paying gig, just looking for someone who likes to tinker like me and would love to find the perfect combo for their truck.

Send me a PM if interested

Last edited by peixinho; 07-19-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm in the same boat as you but live in ct I am happy with my current billet stage 2 modded exhaust side with 175 stock nozzle. I have a mild ficm flash from Idp years ago and php 140x. I have not found a better setup then now with how the truck performs. I am going to have bill write me a tow file and try that out soon. Good luck with your turbo building and if you can't find someone local let me know.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

I looked into a stage 2 right about the time they quit selling them. I almost bought one off a member here on the forum but ended up passing on it. I have heard and read great things about the stage 2... but they are not for sale anymore. I think it has something to do with the availability of the parts. Its actually funny to me that I see a ton of things popping up about the stage 2 all the time because so many people are looking into and researching a turbo that is not available anymore
Old 07-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Bump To Pass!!

Well I meet all the criteria you put up. I have ddp 90hp injectors. I have no idea what they flow. The nozzels are bigher than stock. I put a pmax on a few days ago and it is still to smoky when driving. Bettet than the 03 billet wheeld I had but not as clean as I want it. I live up.here in WA so shipping hopefully wouldn't be to bad and I would have no problem helping with it. I am a light duty diesel tech by trade and do all my own work and have no problem pulling my turbo. Let me know if I can help you test. Very intrested. Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I am also up in WA and would be interested in this...

My mods are gonna be 175/30s and running a hybrid with a billet wheel...

Nothing major done to the engine and nothing out of the ordinary added like intercooler.

I am studded and deleted and have all of the standard 2005 upgrades.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Bump To Pass!!

Forgot to add I live 2 blocks from dynomite diesel and their dyno. If you wanted dyno results.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

I appreciate the responses and I am adding one thing to the list...

Need to have some good gauges. One of the reasons I am doing this is that I don't trust my gauges very well and would like to know how it reacts to different trucks in different ways. Like EBP, boost, pyro, etc..

I will contacting a few people through pms
Old 07-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toren302 View Post
Forgot to add I live 2 blocks from dynomite diesel and their dyno. If you wanted dyno results.

Oooh that would be great.

Any way you could find out the cc of your injector from dynomite? I think anything over 190cc would need a stage 3 from MTW (personal opinion)
Old 07-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toren302 View Post
Well I meet all the criteria you put up. I have ddp 90hp injectors. I have no idea what they flow. The nozzels are bigher than stock. I put a pmax on a few days ago and it is still to smoky when driving. Bettet than the 03 billet wheeld I had but not as clean as I want it. I live up.here in WA so shipping hopefully wouldn't be to bad and I would have no problem helping with it. I am a light duty diesel tech by trade and do all my own work and have no problem pulling my turbo. Let me know if I can help you test. Very intrested. Thanks.

I run a full fuel race tune all the time, I could have easily pulled fuel to clean up the smoke but I thought that seemed stupid to buy bigger injectors and then pull fuel back.

Does the pmax have a billet wheel?
Does it smoke initially and then clear up? Or just pure freight trane action?
Anyway you can get a video of how bad it smokes?

I ask because I also thought about that option and was wondering how it did.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Bump To Pass!!

No billet wheel yet... I would say train like. I will try to get a vid tonight after work. All of my tunes are full fuel. My srl+ is written for my pmax and 175s.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.