Who's tow tune do you run? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 07-18-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Who's tow tune do you run?

Who's custom tow tune do you run and why? Have you used more than one and settled on a specific tune?

I'm looking to add a tow tune to my line up. I don't currently tow a massive load, roughly 4000 lbs. boat/trailer. I'm using the canned tow tune that the sct comes with but I'm not all that impressed. Smooth shifting is a must, my current performance tune is incredibly hard shifting and the fiancÚ hates it! We're taking the boat about 4 hours from home and I'd really like a peaceful ride!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

'06 F250 CC FX4 - 127k miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Under the hood
EGR Delete, Upgraded oil cooler, upgraded stc fiting /w new HPOP, Blue Spring, 4" Turbo Back, SCT tuner /w Wildman Extreme & Street tune, Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter
studs to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the cab
Pillar Glowshift gauge package (EoP/Fuel press/EGT), Dashboss
Alpine touchscreen nav head unit, bluetooth, Phoenix Gold 4-channel amp, JL Audio's 6.5 components up front, 5x7's in rear doors, 10" sub behind seats.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 07-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I use a custom Aggressive Tow from Mrs. Vivian at Quick Tricks. I like it much better than the canned tune. I tow pretty heavy but the shifts aren't too rough. Give her a call- her customer service CAN'T be beaten.

2005 F-250 Lariat FX4 CC SB

Sinister EGR Delete
Diamond Eye 5" Turbo Back Straight

OEM Gaskets and ARP Studs...

SCT X3 (Quick-Tricks tuning)
S&B Intake
Edge CTS

Full Syn 15w-40
High idle mod
PMM Coolant Filter
Rebuilt FICM with Atlas 40

2006 F-350 XL RC/Flat Bed
EGR Delete
SCT SF3 (stays on tow agg)
FARM TRUCK

Diesel spark plugs are the bestest spark plugs....
post #3 of 33 Old 07-18-2013, 07:45 PM

Matt's 8k tow tune is sick! I love it
post #4 of 33 Old 07-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
When I was pulling around that 15k trackhoe I used Vivian's tow aggressive and it worked great. Hell I even left it on that tune for a month or so after I was done towing. Plenty of power low egt and good trans tuning.

03 cclb dually,6.0,arp studs,bpd oil cooler,bpd 6 phase ficm,bpd water pump,bpd all aluminum cac,all aluminum radiator,amsoil bypass oil filter,ipr high flow coolant filter,egr delete,livewire ts tuned by Vivian & tony,php ficm tuner,dc power 300-spx,Detroit trutrac,6" dual side pipes,07 front end,custom front bumper,shaved badges,led button roof lights,08+ mirrors,12 tailgate,13 rear bumper,13 tail lights,dropped I beams,custom rear 4 link w/bags,k5la train horn,24" alcoa's.

post #5 of 33 Old 07-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Eric's tow tune is pretty good. Made for my 190s. Also use the old Spartan Mild street for stock sticks with my 190s. I haven't towed heavy with the Spartan, but it looks to be OK when compared to the previous. The latter has a bit of haze under accelleration.

Frank
2007 F-250 Lariat Crew. MBM 190/50s,
KC-68 Stage 3 Turbo,

DashBoss/F/P, and a few other goodies

Stiction Problems - Fix it yourself! -

Want to modify your injectors DIY -

Working for Toys

post #6 of 33 Old 07-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I use Vivian's Tow/Agg tow tune, works the best for my truck and driving style when towing.

In my truck, Matt's tow tunes are too weak for my liking. They were slightly better than the canned tow tunes. Eric's tow tunes were too aggressive in the shifts.

I tow a 5er weighing in about 8k.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ'S,QT,GH,ID. Gryphon FICM tunes, ARP studs,Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,AD2,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,4" turbo back straight pipe,S&Bintake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
post #7 of 33 Old 07-18-2013, 11:26 PM

Hi there in your experience between the two tunes what are the differences from the gas pedal and overall feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
I use Vivian's Tow/Agg tow tune, works the best for my truck and driving style when towing.

In my truck, Matt's tow tunes are too weak for my liking. They were slightly better than the canned tow tunes. Eric's tow tunes were too aggressive in the shifts.

post #8 of 33 Old 07-19-2013, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post

That's where I'm going with this. The canned tune, after using a custom performance tune from tony, feels really weak. But his shifting is very aggressive. Im having some WOT issues with that tune as well, even the custom street tune is having some issues. I think ill give Vivian a call and try her tow tune. My truck isn't studded yet. Can Vivian write the tune with that in mind or are hers really more for a studded truck?

What kind of mpg do you get running the tow tune?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

'06 F250 CC FX4 - 127k miles

Under the hood
EGR Delete, Upgraded oil cooler, upgraded stc fiting /w new HPOP, Blue Spring, 4" Turbo Back, SCT tuner /w Wildman Extreme & Street tune, Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter
studs to come

In the cab
Pillar Glowshift gauge package (EoP/Fuel press/EGT), Dashboss
Alpine touchscreen nav head unit, bluetooth, Phoenix Gold 4-channel amp, JL Audio's 6.5 components up front, 5x7's in rear doors, 10" sub behind seats.

post #9 of 33 Old 07-19-2013, 05:28 AM
Motor Head.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I use Vivian's non aggressive for towing my 13k fifth.My truck has more power and seems less sluggish .

04 350 DRW CC LB,4:10,245/75/17,tires 4X4..Coolant filter. CTS.Stage II AFE.EGR Delete,Zoodad ,regulated return, ,Arp,OemHG,AD150,WPE ported int,58FICM,190/30 Injec,05 coil conversion.WPE/KC 1.5 turbo,2011 rear leafs,13 tailgate,flight fab trac bars.2014 Power/folding/Extend mirrors.
post #10 of 33 Old 07-19-2013, 05:43 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i just use the sct canned tow+50hp tun and adjust: revs per mile, raise shift firmness, and after few days she shifts great, runs smooth, i like the additional power without worrying to much, i still wish it went into overdrive later though.

-2004 F350 CCLB 4x4: Sinister Race solutions kit, CAT ELC Edge CS, SCT SF3, PHP Ficm programmer, Procomp, Rough country, and Nitto goodies.
-2004 excursion, banks exhaust, 03 turbo, aem intake
-2006 f350 king ranch, aem intake, 10 in fabtech, 40in tires, sct tunes,

currently-1999 F250 SBRB 4X4 First 7.3, 6.0 trans cooler made my muffler fall off

Interested in learning something new?

Justin,
2F071 USAF 2008-2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode