Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need your tips on exhaust and programmer chip-=

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  LTJDS 
#1 ·
Hey, I have an 04' F-350 6.0L Diesel and am looking to get some extra HP from it and need some info on what exhaust and programmer chip to install? What do you fellas have and/or recommend?

#2 ·
4 inch turbo back exhaust and a sct xcal3 with custom tunes

#5 ·
Start a new thread asking for a quote...all of our vendors on here will help you...they are very good at making deals for forum members...I just got set-up with Stealth and Nor-cal for that specific reason...I know they will take care of their customers

#8 ·
The stock airbox on the 6.0L is sufficient for most applications. There is no real need to buy aftermarket intake. I agree with a 4 inch turbo-back exhaust, SCT with custom tuning. I also have lost my cat and muffler. I love the straight-piped sound. That is just me though! I would also suggest a set of gauges, unless you are looking at the SCT Livewire, which has the gauges built in. Heads studs are always a good idea, especially if you are going to be running your truck hard and putting it up wet! LOL It just depends on how far you want to go with your truck and what you are wanting to spend now or spend later. Good luck and let me know you need anymore information. I hope this helps.

#9 ·
A lot of people say stock is better, and I am one of the guys who say B.S. to that...I felt an increase with my AirAid and the dyno number they put up are quite accurate...No stock paper filter and sound restrictive box will every top thousand of dollars and man hours of R&D for these intake companies...now there are some better than others of course..like K&N is garbage, and not worth the paper the instructions are printed on... but its all up to you and your budget...

#10 ·
I'd like to see before and after numbers on a fairly stock truck with the stock airbox and paper element(which flows pretty darn well and traps crap loads of dirt) and any of the aftermarket filters. Unless they are posting dyno results I'd take manufacturers claims with a grain or two of salt. Besides, I can't see how these guys are charging up to $400+ for a cone $50 cone filter and a sheet metal box. There are better bang for the buck mods to do first.

That being said, If I was buying an aftermarket filter it would be either the Airaid or S&B and at some point one will make its way onto my truck.

First I'd do gauges (no performance but you want to watch what's going on if you start modding) exhaust (4" Turbo back and dump the kittie) and a good tune from someone like DJ or Eric at Innovative Diesel or a handful of other tuners that support the forums.

#14 ·
We are not talking about the 7.3L here. It is a totally different filter than the 6.0L Yes gauges are important and I agree, EGT (pyro), Tranny temp, and boost are usually the beginning 3 you start with. Some folks will also add a fuel pressure gauge is you are adding injectors or other such mods. Please feel free to pm me if you have any further questions or would like more detailed or correct information. Good luck.

#15 ·
Granny is right. A 7.3L really needs aftermarket intake. The 6.0L doesn't "need" it. I'm sure it helps to have it but if your just running custom tunes and exhaust then you should be alright. Most guys I know say they didn't change their intake til they started changing Turbos, Injectors and adding water/meth or nitrous applications.

#18 ·
It doesn't take much to install the exhuast yourself. As long as you can get the down pipe off the turbo it's pretty easy after that. You can get a system that is set up for a cat delete and includes a pipe that goes from the down pipe straight to the muffler. I saved the cat though just incase the inspection process changes down the line.

#19 ·
CAT KILLER

Talk To Larry or Pat at DiscountPowerParts.com , "They are Reg Site Vendors" They can set you up with an exhaust kit and a Cat Delete PIPE. After you have a Muffler Shop Install your Exhaust you or a friend can together , Yank tha CAT off and install the Cat delete Pipe. I did my exhaust myself so I had no worries complying with my conscience, He, He :hehe:
GOOD LUCK ! I Run A 4" Down Pipe and a 5" straight back No Kitty No Muffler and I Like it ALOT !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.