Custom Headers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Custom Headers

I'm new when it comes to the diesel world. I have seen cast iron aftermarket made headers for cummins and duramax but never for the ford. There is a good place that I have been going to for all my header and exhaust needs plus i have seen their work i must say amazing.

I want to do a custom twin turbo with my 6.0 with 2 stock turbos but my question is would the header melt if they use stainless steel. I have looked up the melting point its about 1450 - 1485 depending on what other materials are added and where its bought.

I have a friend that has a 250 with a 7.3 and he says he gts 1450 egt's but he is also pushing 150hp + stock im only going to be running 50+ only thing i tow around is my bike its 350pounds.

So can some of you old diesel guys pick me up on this.

Right now I have 4" downtime with Custom 5" exhaust, Afe stage 2, FASS, and head studs. I'm saving up right now for a ats stage 3 tranny and my dads already built both of my axles. I'm also still stock height and stock tires
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If your only going to run 50+ horsepower why bother. Just get a tune and you're there.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
If your only going to run 50+ horsepower why bother. Just get a tune and you're there.
If your only looking for 50hp buy a tuner.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

downtime, do you mean down pipe?
Just get a tuner.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:35 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltitus View Post
I'm new when it comes to the diesel world. I have seen cast iron aftermarket made headers for cummins and duramax but never for the ford. There is a good place that I have been going to for all my header and exhaust needs plus i have seen their work i must say amazing.

I want to do a custom twin turbo with my 6.0 with 2 stock turbos but my question is would the header melt if they use stainless steel. I have looked up the melting point its about 1450 - 1485 depending on what other materials are added and where its bought.

I have a friend that has a 250 with a 7.3 and he says he gts 1450 egt's but he is also pushing 150hp + stock im only going to be running 50+ only thing i tow around is my bike its 350pounds.

So can some of you old diesel guys pick me up on this.

Right now I have 4" downtime with Custom 5" exhaust, Afe stage 2, FASS, and head studs. I'm saving up right now for a ats stage 3 tranny and my dads already built both of my axles. I'm also still stock height and stock tires
twin turbos will add a lot more than 50 horsepower. The headers do not "melt" at 1400 degrees. If they did, a lot of people would be screwed. lol Some guys get up to 1600 degrees.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:24 AM

He's asking if stainless headers would melt. Stock manifolds are cast Iron if I'm not mistaken.

On that note, for 50hp twin turbos is not effective. Slap a tuner on, or if your keen on turbos just get a aftermarket turbo that'll easily push 50hp.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

LOL. I assure you it takes a helluva lot more than 1500 degree EGT to melt Stainless. I've been messing around with turbo cars for over 10 years and I've never heard of someone melting a stainless header. They will sometimes crack if not built well or not braced well, but melting one would be the last thing I'd be worried about. Like others said, if all you're looking for is an extra 50hp, slap a tuner on it and be done. You're going to spend thousands of dollars to have a twin turbo setup fabricated, installed, tuned.

Besides, with the technology of turbos today, twins just aren't neccessary to make big power without sacrificing all your response.

JT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.