Stiction Revisited - including plunger stiction - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stiction Revisited - including plunger stiction

I wasn't completely sure which section to post this in, but since this is a bit more advanced than replacing a part, I thought it would be better in this section.

I asked a friend for an injector coil section and that I didn't care of the condition of the rest of the injector. He pretty much gave me an injector for a modest fee. Just for giggles I took it apart to see how bad it was. The outside looked quite good, except for a caked nozzle and very dirty residue on the injector. Externally it cleaned up very well. Internally the spool and the plunger were stuck and the nozzle was not too bad. There was no scoring internally, it was all varnish. Needless to say, the injector was not working when it was taken out of the engine it came from. I worked on it for about 10 minutes to clean it and free up the stiction. 800 grit on the spool for a few twists and a core soak in brake cleaner with a very small brush to clean the tip of the bore. I also sprayed the nozzle to confirm the 6 holes were clear. Don't do this without planning the spray pattern, it will actually spray quite a distance out of the 6 holes of the nozzle. The injector is very tight and visually very nice with no rubs or scoring. I would have no concerns with putting this in any 6.0. Here are the videos of the diagnosis and after the fixes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Serving Our Country!

Excellent videos Frank!!!
Old 07-14-2013, 12:43 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
As always Frank, well put and nice videos!
Old 07-14-2013, 05:03 AM
Premium Member

In the first plunger video it is tough to tell just how hard I am pushing the plunger to get it to move. At the start, a guestimate would be about 10-15 lb-ft of force. It lessened the more I exercised it past the stuck section. In the second video it moves full length on its own weight. The needle in this one moved quite well. In one of the other injector nozzles I had honed, it took about 15 minutes to get the nozzle out. as it turned out, even that nozzle was usable and is still in service!

Someone asked, "why not just buy a new one?" My answer was the best option is to always get a new one with all new parts (meaning the best reman). If you do your own work, this is always worth considering; but know when to spring for the new reman. However, this can be the equivalent to a good rebuild. You get to see the condition of all the parts before it is put together. This injector after cleaning was in as good condition as any of the remans I had previously opened to modify! There is no doubt that DLC is a great process!
Old 07-14-2013, 05:08 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Frank I think I missed it man. What did you use to clean the fuel plunger/bore?? I agree, with how free everything looks in those videos, I would pop that sucker in my truck for sure. Looks good.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:41 AM
Premium Member

The last 1/8"-1/4" of the bore was the problem. I used a small brass brush and some brake cleaner. Less than a minute to clean and re-lube. Initially I thought I might have to use some grit paste, but I didn't have to. I added the comments to the You-tube channel, but they don't show up here embedded.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:47 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ah I got ya. Thanks for the information. I'll probably give this a whirl too. Thanks again Frank.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Great stuff Frank. You continue to take a lot of the mystery out of our injectors for the members here. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What test can a person run to check for stiction?

Is it likely to hit one injector, a couple, a few or all?

Would you just address 1 and wait for another or do them all ?

Denny
Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
What test can a person run to check for stiction?
Is it likely to hit one injector, a couple, a few or all?
Would you just address 1 and wait for another or do them all ?
In the simplest form it is spool stiction, most notable during cold starts and during warm up. Except for the misfires or rough running you could test via a power/contribution balance test.

It may affect one or more. The chances are it will affect more than one, it usually takes 2 to create enough grief to take it in to get fixed. With worse maintenance, it is likely to affect more or all of them. If you pull one and have stiction, you have 2 courses of action. If it looks really clean it might be better to just do the bad one. However, for the time it takes to inspect all on the same bank, it might be worth the time to do it. It is really a judgement call, maybe you do gambler's choice and inspect another one to determine if you go further.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 07-14-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.